George Calombaris, arsehole

Remove this Banner Ad

A dining room-less restaurant/pick up and deliver out only as a business model it has merit.

I looked into opening a picnic hamper business in Regional VIC, you know visitors can order a basket of local goodies, cheeses, wines, baked goods, meats for picnic and wandering around the VIC Alps\King Valley. Only needed a very small amount of space in terms of kitchen and storage.

Sadly gave up my seed money in divorce #2 so did not come to fruition
You need a rich lawyer or two with spare cash.

A lot of people going in to business for the first time likely lack the experience and knowledge to accurately predict it, most people are far more optimistic about their chances of being a success than they should be given the number of failures. It's also hard to stay afloat long term as there'd be a lot of venues that are popular for a window of time before regressing back to the boring local cafe stage.

I remember learning back in the day about the old 'half of small businesses fail within the first 5 years' thing. It's not strictly true, what it means is that that many close in that time frame. A lot of people get into business and forecast that they are going to make X amount of money and when it turns out they're really only just making enough to pay themselves an average salary (or less) that it's not worth the hassle.

A dining room-less restaurant/pick up and deliver out only as a business model it has merit.

I know of a catering company here that has a small commercial kitchen with no dining facilities. They ended up turning the business into a part time take away outlet. Already had all the stuff and already cooked all day anyway, so just opened the shop front for a couple of hours in the evening and did extra trade that way. No idea how lucrative it was but I like the idea.

I know of a catering company here that has a small commercial kitchen with no dining facilities. They ended up turning the business into a part time take away outlet. Already had all the stuff and already cooked all day anyway, so just opened the shop front for a couple of hours in the evening and did extra trade that way. No idea how lucrative it was but I like the idea.
Are they on uber eats?

Uber eats like Netflix are just parasites
They collect what is freely available food and tv shows and deliver them for a profit.
In time the well eventually runs dry and they will need to make content, TV and food to supply its delivery business.
Then they either go bankrupt like they will do to the FTA TV bussiness and mum and dad restraunt bussiness or they spend heaps of their own money, trying to feed the beast they created, at much much lower profits and get a taste of their own medicine.

But turning itself into a bona fide Hollywood film and television studio isn't coming cheap.
Netflix's original content budget is expected to be $US15 billion in 2019.
The streaming giant had $US12.4 billion of long-term debt as of September 30, in October added a further $US2 billion in debt raised, and has committed $19.1 billion for streaming content in the future.

With increasing debt and slowing subscriber growth in the US, there are some who believe Netflix's cash burn on content - much of which is spent on unsuccessful shows and films that will never be considered for awards - will catch up with the company.

I was commenting on your original assertions that they

and

Sorry if that wasn't clear.
But for now, “The Office” is on Netflix. Nielsen looked at the numbers over a 12-month period and found that the show accounted for 45.8 billion minutes watched compared to the buzzy Netflix original “Stranger Things,” which clocked in at 27.6 billion minutes.

But for now, “The Office” is on Netflix. Nielsen looked at the numbers over a 12-month period and found that the show accounted for 45.8 billion minutes watched compared to the buzzy Netflix original “Stranger Things,” which clocked in at 27.6 billion minutes.

Did you actually read the whole article? It's quite interesting. I don't really think it supports your assertion that Netflix is a parasite. Things are definitely in a state of flux at the moment. I'm sure as hell enjoying it a lot more than the fta days.

Uber eats like Netflix are just parasites
They collect what is freely available food and tv shows and deliver them for a profit.
In time the well eventually runs dry and they will need to make content, TV and food to supply its delivery business.
Then they either go bankrupt like they will do to the FTA TV bussiness and mum and dad restraunt bussiness or they spend heaps of their own money, trying to feed the beast they created, at much much lower profits and get a taste of their own medicine.

I wonder how many of those Uber Eats drivers are being paid legally as well. I have seen two of them come off their motorbikes recently, the second one was right in front of me. Myself and another car driver stopped to help him and he couldn't get away from us quickly enough. When we asked him if he was alright, did he need help, any injuries etc. all he said was "Ok, ok" repeatedly and took off on his bike ASAP.

I've never ordered a thing through Uber Eats as right from the start I heard the restaurant loses 30%. Assumed the drivers were paid fairly though until this incident that made me think again.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you actually read the whole article? It's quite interesting. I don't really think it supports your assertion that Netflix is a parasite. Things are definitely in a state of flux at the moment. I'm sure as hell enjoying it a lot more than the fta days.
Whats not to get ?
parasites feed off their hosts

There was a good article I read a few months back in the FIN I couldnt find
That but basically questioned the model, that feed off then destroyed its hosts.
Then added the end of the monopoly and eventually the end of the cheap monthly business model that killed cable will need to increase to pay for content when FTA dies
Then add competition for cheap content from other providers driving up the price and reducing the content

Whats not to get ?
parasites feed off their hosts

There was a good article I read a few months back in the FIN I couldnt find
That but basically questioned the model, that feed off then destroyed its hosts.
Then added the end of the monopoly and eventually the end of the cheap monthly business model that killed cable will need to increase to pay for content when FTA dies
Then add competition for cheap content from other providers driving up the price and reducing the content
So are you saying the hosts are decades old comedy tv series? I see nothing wrong or bad about paying for content on demand. I don't particularly enjoy having multiple subscriptions but enjoy what I'm getting overall. If prices go up and quality goes down over time there'll become a point where people just start pirating again and the circle of life will continue until we're all destroyed by climate change or a stroke. I'm pretty sure it'll be a stroke or cancer for me barring, you know, car accidents and stuff.

So are you saying the hosts are decades old comedy tv series? I see nothing wrong or bad about paying for content on demand. I don't particularly enjoy having multiple subscriptions but enjoy what I'm getting overall. If prices go up and quality goes down over time there'll become a point where people just start pirating again and the circle of life will continue until we're all destroyed by climate change or a stroke. I'm pretty sure it'll be a stroke or cancer for me barring, you know, car accidents and stuff.
The hosts were the FTA networks that produced the content in the first place for Net flix
and the Hosts for Uber eats are the restaurants that are losing full paying customers/ 30% of the cut

So who owns this evil Netxflix thing, Rupert Murdoch or this George Calombaris dude?
Rupert's daughter used to own George

Ms Murdoch is also the founder and former chairman of media production company Shine Group, which makes programmes such as Master Chef.

The hosts were the FTA networks that produced the content in the first place for Net flix
and the Hosts for Uber eats are the restaurants that are losing full paying customers/ 30% of the cut
The FTA networks that dictated when and on what day you can watch something, maybe, if they don't reschedule on a whim because * you and hey here's another 10 minutes of ads including some repeats of ones you literally* just saw? Those FTA networks? Someone get me a box of tissues!

*On topic George Colonbaris content

The FTA networks that dictated when and on what day you can watch something, maybe, if they don't reschedule on a whim because fu** you and hey here's another 10 minutes of ads including some repeats of ones you literally* just saw? Those FTA networks? Someone get me a box of tissues!

*On topic George Colonbaris content
yes that was their model that delivered profits to make content

You can't do that.

The business model takes a cut at both ends.

$20 pasta, Uber Eats gets $7.

Customer gets charged the $20 + the delivery fee, say $10 on top of the value of the order.

Delivery driver gets their fee, Uber Eats takes a slice of that.
They do.

They're not allowed to put prices up 30% to cover Ubers 30%. It's in the T&C's

UberEats is a rort and if people want to support local business they wouldn't use it. I can't believe people would pay $27 for a $15 pizza just to have it delivered, go get it you lazy campaigners (don't drink-drive. Fair enough in that case)
They do do this. Have seen it where they have an online/delivery price and a in store price where they run two menus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back