Past George Hewett - free agent to Carlton, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

zQRnVjAT.jpg

George Hewett

George Hewett is regularly praised in the media by his teammates and coach John Longmire for his steadfast reliability. Regardless of whether the 2013 draftee is tasked with winning the footy or blanketing a ball magnet, he has the full trust of the Sydney Swans camp. Dustin Martin, Patrick Cripps and Shaun Higgins are just some of the gun midfielders Hewett has shut down in his unheralded career as a Swan. The South Australian carved out a career-best season in 2019 en route to finishing second in the Bob Skilton Medal voting, joining star duo Dane Rampe and Luke Parker on the podium.

George Hewett
DOB: 29 December 1995
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #32, 2013 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Broughton-Mundoora (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

What ever conversations took place between Hewett and the club, I think it was the best outcome for both Hewett and the club. He's got a 4 year contract with Carlton, and there's no way swans would have been in a position to offer him that level of security.

I hope for Hewett's sake that he's able to get back and play consistently for the blues.

I was disappointed we'd let him go, but in hindsight it was the right decision, for both the club and for Hewett.

He seems like a genuinely good guy. Acknowledged the swans alongside Carlton as great clubs. Wish him all the best. He was one of my favourites while at the swans and continues to be as a blue.

Still think getting rid of him was a mistake. He could have been that big bodied inside mid we really need.

Love George. Loved him at the Swans and still disappointed we let him go. Lovely bloke who lives in my street and always says gidday if he sees you on your stoop but ffs the fanfare last night by Channel 7 and Carlton for 150 games was ridiculous. I hope when Franklin does go around for the last time the broadcasters fete him like that in after game coverage. Besides that well played George.

Has the highest average B&F finish at the club over the last two seasons as voted by the coaches and the second-highest average POTY finish at the club over the last two seasons as voted by this board.

Touch some grass.

George Hewett.

Nothing wrong with George Hewett. He played in a team that finished higher than us. What's more, they had the temerity to actually play him as a real mid not a defensive mid. Hence, his output nearly doubled

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app
We didn't have a spot in the mids for him. Mills, Gulden, Campbell, Warner, Parker, etc
Apparently we back ended him like a lot of others. So we needed to lose him for a dollar reason too.
He had a back injury too.
Strike three.

We could not play him where he is best. Carlton did. Good luck to them. Good luck to him too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing wrong with George Hewett. He played in a team that finished higher than us. What's more, they had the temerity to actually play him as a real mid not a defensive mid. Hence, his output nearly doubled

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hewett is a good player when fit.

I am not convinced he wanted to stay with us and the decision to let him move on was probably mutual.

As I specifically recall Tom Harley saying during that trade period 'We haven't committed to George, and George hasn't committed to us'.

I am not convinced he wanted to stay with us and the decision to let him move on was probably mutual.

As I specifically recall Tom Harley saying during that trade period 'We haven't committed to George, and George hasn't committed to us'.
He also suffered from back issues which for sure weighed in our decision at the time.

He also suffered from back issues which for sure weighed in our decision at the time.
He struggled with injury in late 22 after a terrif season. He avoided kicking for much of 23 and appeared hampered. As folks will recall George is a good kick on both feet.

I hope it is not his back but suspect it is.

He struggled with injury in late 22 after a terrif season. He avoided kicking for much of 23 and appeared hampered. As folks will recall George is a good kick on both feet.

I hope it is not his back but suspect it is.
George is a top bloke. Yes I recall he was good off both feet, was sad he suffered as he did injury wise. Mark of a bloke that he can leave the club and everyone still likes him.

George did not want to leave

We didn't have a spot in the mids for him. Mills, Gulden, Campbell, Warner, Parker, etc
Apparently we back ended him like a lot of others. So we needed to lose him for a dollar reason too.
He had a back injury too.
Strike three.

We could not play him where he is best. Carlton did. Good luck to them. Good luck to him too.
Our midfield was average for many years when we were playing Hewett as a tagger, and that was before any back issues. We also did nothing but complain about our centre clearances in 2022 and Hewett was the third-best centre clearance player in the comp that year for Carlton. It's not a big deal if Horse just didn't quite get it right with him. Every coach makes mistakes and Horse has made a lot less than most.

Our midfield was average for many years when we were playing Hewett as a tagger, and that was before any back issues. We also did nothing but complain about our centre clearances in 2022 and Hewett was the third-best centre clearance player in the comp that year for Carlton. It's not a big deal if Horse just didn't quite get it right with him. Every coach makes mistakes and Horse has made a lot less than most.
Loved George , a great team man and Blood , but he's not here so lets move on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back