Past George Hewett - free agent to Carlton, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

zQRnVjAT.jpg

George Hewett

George Hewett is regularly praised in the media by his teammates and coach John Longmire for his steadfast reliability. Regardless of whether the 2013 draftee is tasked with winning the footy or blanketing a ball magnet, he has the full trust of the Sydney Swans camp. Dustin Martin, Patrick Cripps and Shaun Higgins are just some of the gun midfielders Hewett has shut down in his unheralded career as a Swan. The South Australian carved out a career-best season in 2019 en route to finishing second in the Bob Skilton Medal voting, joining star duo Dane Rampe and Luke Parker on the podium.

George Hewett
DOB: 29 December 1995
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #32, 2013 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Broughton-Mundoora (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

If Voss has any brains he will team Hewett up with Walsh as their key midfield pair. None of this tagging sh*te. What Carlton need are some clever ball users getting their hands on it and making good things happen, rather than over-rated top draft picks who still haven't moved on from when they were world-beaters in the U18s running around like headless chooks.

Hewett goes into Carlton's midfield as their cleanest ball user (I used the eye test on this, but numbers in kicking efficiency and overall disposal efficiency back this up - for the Stats Gestapo.) Hopefully they don't make the same mistake that we made of under-valuing the importance of the basics out of the centre. I would love to see him fulfil his potential as he joins an illustrious group, including Gawn, Pendlebury, Mundy, Will Phillips and Hanners as non-Swans whose individual success I am now personally invested in.

Agree. He will easily be their 2nd best mid. Freed of the limits placed on his game, I expect him to blossom. I too will continue to enjoy watching him.

If Voss has any brains he will team Hewett up with Walsh as their key midfield pair. None of this tagging sh*te. What Carlton need are some clever ball users getting their hands on it and making good things happen, rather than over-rated top draft picks who still haven't moved on from when they were world-beaters in the U18s running around like headless chooks.

Hewett goes into Carlton's midfield as their cleanest ball user (I used the eye test on this, but numbers in kicking efficiency and overall disposal efficiency back this up - for the Stats Gestapo.) Hopefully they don't make the same mistake that we made of under-valuing the importance of the basics out of the centre. I would love to see him fulfil his potential as he joins an illustrious group, including Gawn, Pendlebury, Mundy, Will Phillips and Hanners as non-Swans whose individual success I am now personally invested in.
Cripps is miles ahead of Hewett. Hewett will add to the Carlton midfield but you only have to look at the Swans v Carlton game this year to appreciate Cripps. Hewett can’t carry a team like that, Hewett is a solid midfielder. At no stage in his career has he shown anything to suggest he would be a breakout starring midfielder. I’m glad the Swans didn’t offer him 4-5 year deal as that seems to long. Hopefully he continues his solid career at Carlton.

Freed of the limits placed on his game,
This amuses me. I would have limits placed on my game. I can't play.
How about this for left field? The limits placed on George's game are actually his own limits.

The people that have been for the development of Dawson's game are the same people responsible for the development of Hewett's game.
Hewett drafted with pick 32, traded for pick 39.
Dawson drafted with pick 56, traded for pick 18 at worst.

Can someone please explain if we get a different set of coaches in for Hewett.

NEWSFLASH........................Hewett has his limits & the club, much to the fans' delight, have moved on to a more attacking & aggressive game plan.
George isn't part of those plans & now neither is Dawson so I trust the club know how to get the best out of each & every player on our list.

This amuses me. I would have limits placed on my game. I can't play.
How about this for left field? The limits placed on George's game are actually his own limits.

The people that have been for the development of Dawson's game are the same people responsible for the development of Hewett's game.
Hewett drafted with pick 32, traded for pick 39.
Dawson drafted with pick 56, traded for pick 18 at worst.

Can someone please explain if we get a different set of coaches in for Hewett.

NEWSFLASH........................Hewett has his limits & the club, much to the fans' delight, have moved on to a more attacking & aggressive game plan.
George isn't part of those plans & now neither is Dawson so I trust the club know how to get the best out of each & every player on our list.

Remarkably astute obs from Rebecca. Enjoy our shyteful 2022, enlivened only by JP300 making his scorex15

Hewett will be their 3rd best mid if Cripps back isnt completely f’ed. He will compliment both Walsh and Cripps well

But 2/3 of their starting centre mids have back issues

Every clean disposal he gets will be a hammer on JP300.

Every clean disposal he gets will be a hammer on JP300.
I'll bite.

And what about every clean disposal or goal JPK gets? We just ignore those or shake our fists to the sky and think "that coulda been Warner!" even though Warner was next to him?

I'll bite.

And what about every clean disposal or goal JPK gets? We just ignore those or shake our fists to the sky and think "that coulda been Warner!" even though Warner was next to him?

I will chew. JP300 was re-signed for reasons. As I said I am backing him in to make a better contribution than Murphy.

Mate, there is probably no need to introduce your dislike for JPK into every thread on here. How about you set up a 'JPK300 Deathride' thread for yourself and leave it there?

Nope. I do not dislike any Bloods player (grohan aside), let alone a legend like JP300.

get over it.

Nope. I do not dislike any Bloods player (grohan aside), let alone a legend like JP300.

get over it.

How about you get over it and stop polluting this board.

Its one thing to have an opinion, it is another to derail thread after thread because you are having a hissy fit that no one else cares about.

Move on with your life.

How about you get over it and stop polluting this board.

Its one thing to have an opinion, it is another to derail thread after thread because you are having a hissy fit that no one else cares about.

Move on with your life.

Well that is an interesting perspective. Thanks for the insight.

Nup. The narrative is contestable. You do not control it.

I will post here when I wish and continue to call out craven views

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His composure is his biggest strength along with his defensive pressure, great with delivering a handball into space. Not a game breaker by any means though, hasnt developed the way I'd hoped and maybe that's down to his back issues. Metres gained is all the rage these days especially in midfielders and he certainly didnt deliver on that front with the type of player he is.

Cripps is miles ahead of Hewett. Hewett will add to the Carlton midfield but you only have to look at the Swans v Carlton game this year to appreciate Cripps. Hewett can’t carry a team like that, Hewett is a solid midfielder. At no stage in his career has he shown anything to suggest he would be a breakout starring midfielder. I’m glad the Swans didn’t offer him 4-5 year deal as that seems to long. Hopefully he continues his solid career at Carlton.

Sorry that's rubbish.

George has now become my favourite non swans player. I really look forward to him flourishing at the blues... I really hope he establishes himself as one of carltons prime midfielders.

He'll have a great career I'm sure

George will flourish under Voss' coaching.

And Brian Cook is a superb club executive, as he showed at Geelong.

So look out for Carlton next year. George has landed on his feet.

By contrast, 2022 will be a long year for Swans supporters.

Yep, Brian Cook is one of the best in the business. If the board lets him get on with the job, he will transform Carlton.

He and Frank Costa used to openly benchmark the Cats against the Swans. He will do the same at Carlton.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back