Past George Hewett - free agent to Carlton, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

zQRnVjAT.jpg

George Hewett

George Hewett is regularly praised in the media by his teammates and coach John Longmire for his steadfast reliability. Regardless of whether the 2013 draftee is tasked with winning the footy or blanketing a ball magnet, he has the full trust of the Sydney Swans camp. Dustin Martin, Patrick Cripps and Shaun Higgins are just some of the gun midfielders Hewett has shut down in his unheralded career as a Swan. The South Australian carved out a career-best season in 2019 en route to finishing second in the Bob Skilton Medal voting, joining star duo Dane Rampe and Luke Parker on the podium.

George Hewett
DOB: 29 December 1995
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #32, 2013 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Broughton-Mundoora (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Looks like George is in great nick for next year.

I will miss him. He was a player you could rely on. He shut down Dusty in the Richmond game and many others and still managed to get his own ball at will.
He reminds me of another blue collar Swan in Craig Bird, another of my favourite players. Always gave 110% and came off the field exhausted.
I miss them both.

I will miss him. He was a player you could rely on. He shut down Dusty in the Richmond game and many others and still managed to get his own ball at will.
He reminds me of another blue collar Swan in Craig Bird, another of my favourite players. Always gave 110% and came off the field exhausted.
I miss them both.
Craig Bird went to Essendon in similar circumstances. Totally smashed it for them.......................:think:

George was apparently a stand-out in Carlton's match sim. This according to the Herald Sun:

Their two boom recruits, former Swan George Hewett and ex-Docker Adam Cerra are both impressing on the track early. Hewett was clean below his knees and his defensive workrate was a stand out

Can't wait to see him in action this year, even if it means I have to watch more Carlton.

George was apparently a stand-out in Carlton's match sim. This according to the Herald Sun:

Their two boom recruits, former Swan George Hewett and ex-Docker Adam Cerra are both impressing on the track early. Hewett was clean below his knees and his defensive workrate was a stand out

Can't wait to see him in action this year, even if it means I have to watch more Carlton.
I reckon he will star for them. He will be higher up the pecking order for inside mid spots.

Hewett is the new Mitchell all of a sudden, except Mitchell was a much better player at time of leaving.

The difference being we pushed Hewett out, so there is a reservoir of goodwill where he is concerned. I don't see the harm in continuing to support and be excited by a player just because he is no longer in our colours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The difference being we pushed Hewett out, so there is a reservoir of goodwill where he is concerned. I don't see the harm in continuing to support and be excited by a player just because he is no longer in our colours.
I will follow his career with great interest. Loved the bloke. Could not have given the club more than he did. He must have been on some serious backended coin to be given the nudge. I hope our salary cap issues are well behind us now and maybe even in the black.

I will follow his career with great interest. Loved the bloke. Could not have given the club more than he did. He must have been on some serious backended coin to be given the nudge. I hope our salary cap issues are well behind us now and maybe even in the black.
I thought it was more a matter of Swans realised he was worth more than we could afford to pay him, given we have so many talented players coming through.

I thought it was more a matter of Swans realised he was worth more than we could afford to pay him, given we have so many talented players coming through.
This has been discussed to death, but this doesn't really fit with us also losing Dawson (who would have been on far more $$). I think the more likely scenario is that Hewett was backended in 2021 (leading to his RFA status), hence why the club (in a salary bind) floated him a year earlier. Now this doesn't mean he would have demanded a big money deal in 2022 and beyond (since he was at the end of his contract, his 2021 salary was irrelevant, and to some extent he'd already "been paid"), but the likelihood is we envisaged losing one of Hewett, Dawson or Parker throughout the year and we prioritised the latter two. By the time Dawson announced his departure it was probably too far gone to keep George, we decided to bank the extra $$ and the compo pick (Warner), and will use it to renew others. I'd have been a bit more forceful on Parker and Dawson early, so we could have made George some kind of offer, but we played the long game and it backfired (imo).

Anyway, like others, I hope he smashes it. Happy for him to dominate Mills or Parker when we play the Blues, as long as we win the game.

Maybe you are right thinking about it
Best 22
Kennedy-gone next year
Parker
Heeney
Mills
Florent
Rowbottom
Warner

Backup
Gulden
Campbell
Clarke
Stephens
Sheldrick
Roberts
Cory Warner

Money best spent elsewhere I suppose.

Maybe you are right thinking about it
Best 22
Kennedy-gone next year
Parker
Heeney
Mills
Florent
Rowbottom
Warner

Backup
Gulden
Campbell
Clarke
Stephens
Sheldrick
Roberts
Cory Warner

Money best spent elsewhere I suppose.
Though at the time, that backup list was half the size since we hadn't drafted anyone and Clarke was gone (or so we thought). Heeney was mainly a forward, and Florent thought of as mostly a winger (if he was in the team at all for some). Many think George was a decent player, but unnecessary, yet when it came to draft time, we were suddenly short on midfield depth. :think:

Though at the time, that backup list was half the size since we hadn't drafted anyone and Clarke was gone (or so we thought). Heeney was mainly a forward, and Florent thought of as mostly a winger (if he was in the team at all for some). Many think George was a decent player, but unnecessary, yet when it came to draft time, we were suddenly short on midfield depth. :think:
I am a bit confused by the whole thing. George was a premiership type player and we let him go. I still don't understand fully.

I am a bit confused by the whole thing. George was a premiership type player and we let him go. I still don't understand fully.

See me regarding Aliir the year before

It was always a question of was the club willing to pay George Hewitt what he is worth "now" in Year 4 of his contract to keep him and possibly lose players down the line that likely will go past him ability-wise by that stage of his career or lose him now, bank the compo pick and free up the cap space.

These decisions are not short term sadly.

The above discourse is precisely what I didn't want to happen. Hewett was and is a very popular player. The club chose to trade probably the single Swan not one person on here ever complained about, yet some are surprised that he's still highly regarded in the aftermath. Whether that choice was right or wrong has been done to death, and I'd much rather focus on where George is now.

He comes into Carlton as, by far, the best ball-user in their midfield, so it's not surprising he's being highlighted for his ball use in training. Good ball use in the midfield is literally the number one thing Carlton need. They may have/had big names like Walsh, Cripps, Murphy etc. but for all their excitement and star-power, they have never been able to generate any clean, direct ball from contested situations to save their life. So as difficult as it may be to believe for some, George has the potential to be the player who makes the biggest difference to Carlton.

It all depends on coaching. If Voss has half a brain, he'll recognise that Hewett more than anyone can remedy Carlton's woes in the midfield, and set them all up accordingly. Get Hewett in a role where the ball is in his hands as much as possible, and put one of the other more butcher-prone sods in the thankless role of defensive mid instead. We shall see...

I think we're kind of circling the issues.
At the end of 2020 we were supposedly shopping him around but got no nibbles. If correct the club had already identified the issues. IMO George was at best #4 midfielder for 2 or 3 seasons. He was going to absorb a fair salary but without a key role. At that stage I think we expected more from Stephens and maybe less from Warner but still had expectations, plus from Florent and Dawson plus Mills and Heeney.
Age, salary etc all spelt George.
Then in 2021 we decided to try to get the best we could for him and us in his Free Agency. Carlton played ball. All travelling smoothly for all concerned. By all accounts no contract was offered because the deal was done.
Dawson.
Now we have a hole. Had we known a lot earlier would we have let George go?
We'll never know for sure but we, George and Carlton were all way committed when Dawson pulled the plug.
Big contrast with Aliir. Offered him a contract that was shorter and less $ than he felt he was worth (rightly or wrongly). Appears Port sought permission, held discussions, made a good offer and the Swans said "go in good grace" as they did with George.
Time might suggest it was the wrong decision or it might not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back