Free Agency George Hewett [joins Carlton as a restricted free agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

According to the old formula, the maximum age bonus was +12 for being 26. I don't think there was a way to get any more? If so, Hewett should get the same age bonus, and then it simply comes down to salary. If Hewett's is similar, we should get the same compo. If Hewett is higher, we might get band 3.
You've gotten band 4.

The fact Hewett and Chol get the same compensation should be cause to overhaul the system. Absolutely baffling decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How’s picking up these types gone for Carlton so far in the last 7 years?
They haven't been picking up Hewett's type for the past 7 years though.

I hate Carlton as much as the next guy but this is a very astute pick up. He walks into their side as one of the best defensive midfielders in the game, for a wage that is only a little above average.

They haven't been picking up Hewett's type for the past 7 years though.

I hate Carlton as much as the next guy but this is a very astute pick up. He walks into their side as one of the best defensive midfielders in the game, for a wage that is only a little above average.
Sydney we’re reluctant to even keep him and he got 4 years…

For those saying that this is a bad pickup, I disagree. We have clearly made some mistakes with players brought in over the past few years and a lot of the flack we have received recently is granted. I don’t think Hewett will be another mistake.

For starters, his contract appears to be only a little above AFL average, which isn’t (or shouldn’t) going to hurt our ability to retain players in future years. We didn’t give up a pick to secure him. He clearly adds something that our team lacks... a defensive aspect in the midfield. At the end of the day isn’t that what list management is all about, identifying weaknesses and addressing them? He’s no star but a very handy role player. All the good teams have them. Take the Dees this year and stack up the bottom 6 or 7 of their best 22 and compare it to ours. Night and day. Hewett improves our team by bringing something we don’t have and I get the feeling he will be a solid contributor.

Shows how much you know. Swans are under massive cap pressure and have to let players walk.

Your trolling never gets old.

No, Sydney would have preferred to keep Hewitt if they hadn't mismanaged their salary cap.

He's a quality best 22 player.

We went fairly hard for Graham last year and anyone who actually watches Carlton will know exactly why after this season. Hewitt has been recruited to do what we would’ve hoped Graham would and is the perfect type for our midfield.

You know he was runner in up in their Best and fairest in 2019 to Rampe?

Yeah and suppose they never wanted him anyway….. 🧐😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back