Opinion George Horlin-Smith - where is he at?

Remove this Banner Ad

We probably tied to find him a new home this year but had no takers.

GHS will get a shot at some point next year if he can stay fit but he has to grab what ever opportunity he gets two hands. If he plays and plays well they'll find a way to fit him in.

They will have to restructure the mids and take someone out of there to fit him in though. He is not a good enough fwd to take caddys spot.

Despite being on the senior list, the club names George captain of the VFL side in most hilariously backhanded appointment in league history.

Tell me that's a joke. That'd be the final nail in his career.

He was captain of the Australian under 16 cricket team - why wouldnt he swing over to cricket - he is still young - wasting his time playin AFL with his lack of pace

"Highly rated internally".

This couldn't be a more accurate description of him. But you won't get it bandied around by the usual types who do it so cynically for others, one poster in particular.

They will have to restructure the mids and take someone out of there to fit him in though. He is not a good enough fwd to take caddys spot.

Or injuries. Or perhaps he shows enough strong consistent form to force his way into the team. There is a lot things that can happen between now and round 1 next year let alone round 22.

The decision to give him a 3 year deal last year is still absolutely baffling

One of many head scratcher decisions the past few years I'm afraid

because we had more players to the grunt work on the inside.
Except we didn't, until Danger arrived our clearance and CP stats were literally woeful. Remember the Melbourne loss at KP late in 2015? We were destroyed in the middle on the inside by a bunch of kids.

The only hope I see for GHS isn't in our midfield but perhaps up forward as a midsize difficult match up. He has a bit of the mercurial about him, can take a good mark, and would compete hard once the ball hit the turf....It's a longshot I know but one that the coaches should at least give him a bit of a chance to take next season.

Except we didn't, until Danger arrived our clearance and CP stats were literally woeful. Remember the Melbourne loss at KP late in 2015? We were destroyed in the middle on the inside by a bunch of kids.
We were mostly destroyed that day by Jones and Vince... hardly kids... but Viney got on top of Selwood who was our only mid basically and Gawn arrived as an AFL player.

I agree with the first points though

Or injuries. Or perhaps he shows enough strong consistent form to force his way into the team. There is a lot things that can happen between now and round 1 next year let alone round 22.

Of course and i hope they do as i rate him. I was just responding to the idea that because caddy is gone ghs has a best 22 spot now-given caddy wasnt playing much midfield anyway it really doesnt help ghs at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only hope I see for GHS isn't in our midfield but perhaps up forward as a midsize difficult match up. He has a bit of the mercurial about him, can take a good mark, and would compete hard once the ball hit the turf....It's a longshot I know but one that the coaches should at least give him a bit of a chance to take next season.

He doesnt have the speed off the mark to be a leading fwd or the agility to be a small fwd. I really think he needs to get his endurance up so he can be a slow mid who gets to many contests and feeds it out by hand (ala priddis). Its that or bust for george. If they would actually be prepared to play blicavs in a different position than midfield we could try it in the nab cup and see how it goes.

He doesnt have the speed off the mark to be a leading fwd or the agility to be a small fwd. I really think he needs to get his endurance up so he can be a slow mid who gets to many contests and feeds it out by hand (ala priddis). Its that or bust for george. If they would actually be prepared to play blicavs in a different position than midfield we could try it in the nab cup and see how it goes.

George is a bit of a klutz and tends to lose his feet in the contest. Guys like Priddis and Mitchell while not blessed with foot speed, rarely go to ground and are always a chance for a quick feed off by hand to an outside runner. They also possess quick hands and an innate spatial awareness in the clinches ... something that George has never really shown.

Can't seem him being anything other than a stop-gap measure for the injured.

Last edited:
would provide good leadership in the Australian cricket team

As far as the AFL, inside mid is his only role, needs to turn himself into a Ling type tagger. Needs to win more ball on the inside and dispose of it better when under pressure.

Seems like a waste of talent

I agree his lack of speed is a concern up forward and in general but I just see our midfield being fairly settled, so unless there were injuries I don't think he'll get a gig, our forward line however is a complete shambles so it might be his best bet to sneak in to some kind of role up there.

Play him start at the start of the pre season and first few rounds. See how he goes as being an inside midfielder. He couldn't do as worse as josh caddy in the prelim anyway. Nothing to lose really.

Mate he would be better than half the aus cricket team atm i reckon.
As someone who watches quite a lot of our domestic competitions. Get used to it, we're going to be average for a while yet.
It's the system that is rooted.

First season he plays three games. Subbed on in one game, subbed off in another game.

Second season, eight games. Subbed on in two games, not subbed off in any other game.

Third season, breakout year. Twenty one games, subbed on twice, subbed off in three other games.
(Averaged 17 disposals, 71% DE, 3 clearances, 3 tackles, 0.6 goals & 0.4 assists)

Fourth season, six games. Subbed on in two games, not subbed off in any other game.
(Averaging 18 disposals, 74% DE, 2.8 clearances, 4.5 tackles, 0.2 goals & 0.8 assists)

• In 2015, George has played 9 VFL games averaging 24 disposals, 6 tackles, 0.3 goals and featured among the best on the ground in seven of those games.

Having put pen to paper for three years this season, George is now 22 years of age and played 38 games. How can he become a consistent footballer at the top level if he is continually getting dropped or subbed into games?
Is he not fit enough?
Is he too slow?
Why sign him up for three years if these issues are already known?

He has the talent lack of opportunity with dangerfield, S.Selwood,Menegola, Guthrie, Duncan, Caddy put him a long way down the cue last season who do you drop how versatile is he might be a spot at half back. Or a half fwd flank he is a nice size ??? Needs to be exposed more this season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back