Toast George Horlin-Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

He is being over-rated on this forum in my opinion. Not for the promise he shows (which is plenty) but for what he currently provides for 4 quarters.
Of the 3 Murdoch, Smedts and Caddy..Caddy has been the best performed IMO.
Has been subbed or been the sub in every game. Not to say a few games in the VFL would do him some good but Smedts needs to get some ball and form before him.

Of the 3 Murdoch, Smedts and Caddy..Caddy has been the best performed IMO.
Has been subbed or been the sub in every game. Not to say a few games in the VFL would do him some good but Smedts needs to get some ball and form before him.
I agree about Smedts. But in fairness also Smedts has played well until very recently. Seems to have hit the wall last couple of games.

My thing about Caddy is his decision making sometimes. A bit unfair considering the good grounding in the VFL other players his age have received that he hasn't. He is still learning the Geelong way. But still.

Anyone putting their hand up after throwing in GHS as steak knives in the Boak non-deal? Just askin' ;)
I'm happy to (although it wasn't as "steak knives" but rather a way to get the deal done without meeting Port supporter's exorbitant draft pick demands).

Although, iirc, it was with a couple of riders.

1/. Horlin-Smith himself wanted to return to SA

2/. (& importantly) I'm fairly sure I said I didn't really want to give him up

But I'm comfortable in putting my hand up as I floated it as a suggestion.

I'd also suggest that Boak's form this year was been pretty darn good.

But I'm happy Horlin-Smith is wearing blue & white hoops.

and yet you say Smedts is more deserving over a player who averaged 15 disposals & 0.7 goal per game?
Just because he has been in the (Cats) system longer, I'd opt for a fresh Smedts over a fresh Caddy atm. Smedts is better schooled in playing the Geelong way. He is more creative. I'm sure next year Caddy will be just as good in that regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm happy to (although it wasn't as "steak knives" but rather a way to get the deal done without meeting Port supporter's exorbitant demands).

Although, iirc, it was with a couple of riders.

1/. Horlin-Smith himself wanted to return to SA

2/. (& importantly) 'm fairly sure I said I didn't really want to give him up

But I'm comfortable in putting my hand up as I floated it as a suggestion.

I'd also suggest that Boak's form this year was been pretty darn good.

But I'm happy Horlin-Smith is wearing blue & white hoops.

Im with you Piv.

What we all have to all realise is - if we want to dance , we have to pay the band.
As much as we all think we can trade boiled lollies for chocolates , it just doesn't work like that.

The way I remember it was floated in a reasonable manor by some Adelaide based posters that GHS was interested in going there. On that assumption a few of us would have floated George. It was not done become we doubted his ability. In fact most of us thought George or R1 or the comp pick was enough. To us he was a R1 pick even if he had not really shown it to the wider community yet.

As to the worth of Boak. I agree with Piv. Either because he is now fit , or now Capt. or perhaps the change of management and the vibe of the club... he looks a lot different player. Would he have been handy in hoops. Yes. But Im happy enough to keep George and get Caddy.

Tonight's interview on 3aw , George certainly sounded at home in Geelong . He was asked specifically by Russell about when his contract was up , and would he be interested in going back to SA. He is a supurb mouthpeice , George , and he may just have been pandering to the Geelong audence listening , but he gave strong assurances that he was very happy in Geelong . Like the slightly quite style of the place etc.

I'd opt for a fresh Smedts over a fresh Caddy atm.

strange, I feel Smedts last 2 weeks have been poor...could be carrying some kind of injury and I hope he gets another chance to play this week, although I doubt he will and may get dropped to the VFL but Caddy did play the sub last Friday night and will most likely stay in the team given Chappy could miss, so another contested winning midfielder will be of extra importance.

Don't take it personally, glad you ain't near the MC.

strange, I feel Smedts last 2 weeks have been poor...could be carrying some kind of injury and I hope he gets another chance to play this week, although I doubt he will and may get dropped to the VFL but Caddy did play the sub last Friday night and will most likely stay in the team given Chappy could miss, so another contested winning midfielder will be of extra importance.

Don't take it personally, glad you ain't near the MC.
Yes, that's why I said a "fresh" Smedts.

I have already said he looks like he has hit the wall, as young players do from time to time. Caddy will get another chance, I'm sure this week. I'm hoping he plays well.

I won't take it personally. I still think Caddy is over-rated on here atm in the young gun pecking order, for the reasons I have already said. Lots of promise, but.

Yes, that's why I said a "fresh" Smedts.

I have already said he looks like he has hit the wall, as young players do from time to time. Caddy will get another chance, I'm sure this week. I'm hoping he plays well.

I won't take it personally. I still think Caddy is over-rated on here atm in the young gun pecking order, for the reasons I have already said. Lots of promise, but.

Agree about Caddy. But Smedts looks like he needs a breather. Happens with most young players, just needs to get more of the footy. Still think we're not going to see consistent footy from him for at least another year (same with Murdoch - they'll both make it I think, just not right now).

Smedts shows glimpses of what he could be but has been poor overall this last couple of weeks I wonder if footscore is right and he is carrying an injury. Unlike him I think he may benefit from a spell in the VFL but consider it unlikely. I cannot see Caddy going, this is not an argument about what he was in GC but what he is now. A developing player who is showing enough to warrant continued exposure on the big stage and to the Geelong way.

Im with you Piv.

What we all have to all realise is - if we want to dance , we have to pay the band.
As much as we all think we can trade boiled lollies for chocolates , it just doesn't work like that.

The way I remember it was floated in a reasonable manor by some Adelaide based posters that GHS was interested in going there. On that assumption a few of us would have floated George. It was not done become we doubted his ability. In fact most of us thought George or R1 or the comp pick was enough. To us he was a R1 pick even if he had not really shown it to the wider community yet.

As to the worth of Boak. I agree with Piv. Either because he is now fit , or now Capt. or perhaps the change of management and the vibe of the club... he looks a lot different player. Would he have been handy in hoops. Yes. But Im happy enough to keep George and get Caddy.

Tonight's interview on 3aw , George certainly sounded at home in Geelong . He was asked specifically by Russell about when his contract was up , and would he be interested in going back to SA. He is a supurb mouthpeice , George , and he may just have been pandering to the Geelong audence listening , but he gave strong assurances that he was very happy in Geelong . Like the slightly quite style of the place etc.
As you say Turbo, Horlin-Smith's name in the Boak trade probably came up due to the rumour that Adelaide/Sanderson was into him (I think our board also flagged Stringer, being a SA boy, but his off-field issues clouded that option) and maybe the compo pick + Horlin-Smith or Stringer would get the deal done.

However, I'd wager with Horlin-Smith being from SA this would have already been on a few people's minds prior to the Adelaide rumour.

I think most Geelong posters thought Boak wasn't really worth what Port supporters wanted for him - a pick as high as 4 or 5 was mooted by a few Port supporters.

Geelong supporters felt the comp pick + (possibly) a player might be the go.

Which meant Boak's worth was probably somewhere in between the two options.

Turns out both clubs would be happy nothing came of it...Boak is showing pretty good form this season and we used the compo pick (+55) to land Caddy and Horlin-Smith stayed put.

Win all round I think.

Unlike him I think he may benefit from a spell in the VFL but consider it unlikely.

only thing that makes me hesitant in saying he should be automatically dropped, Smedts quality is outstanding, he only needs 3 touches to setup something out of nothing, his movement and closing speed seems to catch the opposition off guard and he'd maybe turn it around against a mediocre team such as the Bulldogs.

If he does get dropped, he won't spend much time there as he's too good but like you say, injury could be a possibility with him at the minute.

There were heaps
Not heaps will come forward and admit it though VC.

People are happy to tell anyone who'll listen when they made a good call, not so keen to admit when they might have made a wrong one.

People are happy to tell anyone who'll listen when they made a good call, not so keen to admit when they might have made a wrong one.
To be fair. Everyone was looking for the first South Aussie they could find.
And I kept saying "anyone but HS"

who were the fans who wanted to see Horlin-Smith traded?

Strange call even though he was young/inexperienced but amazes me to think you would consider trading a bloke who Wells only recently drafted to the club given his track record and all.
That's like putting Hamling amongst the bread basket in order to secure a top line player next seasons draft.

Well done to GHS on his Round 4 nomination. I was really impressed with his game on the weekend on Kennedy, not only to shut down on of the best inside midfielders in the competition, but to have an impace himself for Geelong goes to show the sort of footy Horlin-Smith is capable of producing in big games. He lools like the kind of young player who has terrific endurance and can run all day. Well done on your nomination. :):thumbsu:
Agree. Saw the match on Friday and was impressed with his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back