Toast George Horlin-Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair. Everyone was looking for the first South Aussie they could find.
And I kept saying "anyone but HS"
It is a natural link. Mackie & Enright are too old, Stringer had off-field issues, McCarthy is an unknown, Menzel & Varcoe are considered 'untouchable'...didn't leave much else to put on the table since getting pick 5 wasn't something Geelong was going to orchestrate.

Also, as Turbo mentioned, you have to give something to get something.

But it is all good. As I said, Port will be happy with Boak and we're more than happy with Horlin-Smith (+ Caddy ;))

For the record, I'm still a fan of Boak but I'm kinda glad it panned out the way it did.

who were the fans who wanted to see Horlin-Smith traded?

Strange call even though he was young/inexperienced but amazes me to think you would consider trading a bloke who Wells only recently drafted to the club given his track record and all.
That's like putting Hamling amongst the bread basket in order to secure a top line player next seasons draft.
Well, to be honest I don't know names but as Superhoops and VC mentioned there were a few out there.

As I mentioned, I floated Horlin-Smith's name during that Boak saga but, as I also mentioned, it was heavily caveated.

People were keen on Boak, Port supporters were up-in-arms over what we thought he was worth so people started putting forward suggestions. Horlin-Smith, being a SA boy, was a natural name to float (and was subsequently laughed at by most Port supporters iirc but Geelong people knew he was actually worth something hence his name being tossed around).

You know me FS, I'll stand by stuff I post and I'll put my hand up when I'm wrong (at least I think I do). ;)

You know me FS, I'll stand by stuff I post and I'll put my hand up when I'm wrong (at least I think I do). ;)

this I do know :thumbsu:

Hyphen gonna get a good test this week, Dogs have a speedy midfield full of youngsters who win contested footy themselves, be interesting to see how someone with rather average foot speed will work their way through it.
Wouldn't be surprised to see him play another blinder though...something very special about his reading of the play and ability to control himself under immense pressure.

THis is the game folks.
Boak would have been a fantastic get. And even with last Fridays effort I would still swap him for Hyphen in a heartbeat.
I am wrapped with the player we have but if Boak was on offer on those terms wouldn't have to think to hard.
Just sayin...
As it is Hyphen is a good young player, like all young developing players he will probably run hot and cold while he learns consistency. I think this is a big part of what the first 50 or so games are about.
It will be very interesting to see how he developes across the year.
On the exciting side folks, watch him grow as a player and a team man
CS stated that Selwood would be upset if he was told that he couldn't get any better than he already is
What do you think is expected of poodle, bundy, smedts, caddy, hyphen, etc, etc.

I'd have swapped Caddy and Hyphen for Boak in a heart beat and still would. There's a difference between the potential displayed by Horlin-Smith and Caddy and the proven class Boak has consistently shown. Reckon he'd be the difference between us having a good vs great midfield this year and while long term we might lose out, in the short term we are a real chance at a premiership and it'd be worth paying a bit overs for a player who'd have instant impact though still provide another 5+ years of football.

Irrelevant now, he signed for Port and we've got two promising young players that are impressing.

Some unbelievable comments here re the value of Boak. Swapping both Caddy and GH-S for him???

Not for me thanks.

The lure of instant gratification warps the logic.....and ..... I might add....not only in football.

Not heaps will come forward and admit it though VC.

People are happy to tell anyone who'll listen when they made a good call, not so keen to admit when they might have made a wrong one.
Ain't that the truth they're some big ego's here.
I can't remember and can't be bothered going back to find out,but big chance I'd have been willing at the time to throw him into a deal as a sweetener to get Boak.

Why has a congratulatory thread turned into a "I still want Boak thread"?

GH-S is a star in the making. Doing all the right things and on a perfect path to start his career.

Starts in VFL, improves each year, wins best on ground in VFL Grand Final, gets senior spot, wins Rising Star nom.....

His attack on the footy at some stages on Friday night was almost Selwood like. This kid is a beauty

Some unbelievable comments here re the value of Boak. Swapping both Caddy and GH-S for him???

Not for me thanks.

The lure of instant gratification warps the logic.....and ..... I might add....not only in football.
Bad call of mine last week saying we would know much more about Menz's knee after the the Box hill game,I'm keeping those opinions to myself in the future,I think I also cleaned Varcoe up last year in your Balls on the line thread.:(

GH-S is a star in the making. Doing all the right things and on a perfect path to start his career.

Starts in VFL, improves each year, wins best on ground in VFL Grand Final, gets senior spot, wins Rising Star nom.....

His attack on the footy at some stages on Friday night was almost Selwood like. This kid is a beauty
Well, that is probably my fault as I put my hand up when someone else questioned if anyone would own up to using Horlin-Smith in a possible trade for Boak.

Sorry about that.

OT: That George Horlin-Smith, he goes all right doesn't he? ;)

Well, that is probably my fault as I put my hand up when someone else questioned if anyone would own up to using Horlin-Smith in a possible trade for Boak.

Sorry about that.

OT: That George Horlin-Smith, he goes all right doesn't he? ;)
That's enough owning up for one thread,you don't want to set the bar to high T.P.:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone putting their hand up after throwing in GHS as steak knives in the Boak non-deal? Just askin' ;)

I will say i was in the " Not for sale" camp....

Go Catters

Not for me thanks.

Conversely, DTC, 'potential' is worth more on Bigfooty than actual output most of the time. You don't yet know, for sure, that Caddy and GHS will both fulfill their potential.

As much as i love George I'd still swap him for Boak. We would have a friggin awesome midfield with Boak in it.

The Friggin awesome midfield you seek is developing before your very eyes... and I have a feeling we will see it for a very, very long time..

Go Catters

The Friggin awesome midfield you seek is developing before your very eyes... and I have a feeling we will see it for a very, very long time..

Go Catters

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy where we are at - particularly when you stop to consider the picks that we have had available to us over the past 6 years. But Boak would be close to leading the Brownlow at the moment. He seems to have really stepped up to another level this year and is becoming quite a well rounded mid - having an ability to win his own footy as well as providing run and carry. I was one of the ones leading the charge on here to get H-S a game so i'm certainly a fan. But I'd like to think that I am not so blind that after one game I can't distinguish between a guy that should be a star and one that might be.

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy where we are at - particularly when you stop to consider the picks that we have had available to us over the past 6 years. But Boak would be close to leading the Brownlow at the moment. He seems to have really stepped up to another level this year and is becoming quite a well rounded mid - having an ability to win his own footy as well as providing run and carry. I was one of the ones leading the charge on here to get H-S a game so i'm certainly a fan. But I'd like to think that I am not so blind that after one game I can't distinguish between a guy that should be a star and one that might be.

Boak is on fire sure... and he would add to our MF.

I guess im just happy to see one our ours get a shot - reinforces the work hard, train hard, and play the Geelong way and you will get a gig....

Not against the transplants but the moral you get one from one internally going out there and killing it is irreplacable..

Hope i explained that well enough...

GO Catters

I think Port would have wanted the Ablett compo (Caddy) and our first round pick (Thurlow) for Boak anyway. Would still have done it but, Boak is flying.

Something else to take into consideration is the difference between what Boak would have been paid and what Caddy is paid may have been the difference in being able to afford Rivers as a free agent as well. Rivers was clearly the third priority behind a ruckman and mid as we didn't announce him until the other deals were resolved.

I think Port would have wanted the Ablett compo (Caddy) and our first round pick (Thurlow) for Boak anyway. Would still have done it but, Boak is flying.

Something else to take into consideration is the difference between what Boak would have been paid and what Caddy is paid may have been the difference in being able to afford Rivers as a free agent as well. Rivers was clearly the third priority behind a ruckman and mid as we didn't announce him until the other deals were resolved.

Caddy, Thurlow AND Rivers. Wow. No wonder port took him ahead of Selwood.

In hindsight I think we came away all right from that trade period. If HMac can play 50 quality games even more so.

Boak is on fire sure... and he would add to our MF.

I guess im just happy to see one our ours get a shot - reinforces the work hard, train hard, and play the Geelong way and you will get a gig....

Not against the transplants but the moral you get one from one internally going out there and killing it is irreplacable..

Hope i explained that well enough...

GO Catters

I can understand that argument and it's a sound one. You can disrupt the fabric of a club if you are seen to treat players as commodities rather than humans. To clarify my view a little more, I would have been happy for Boak to come back home to Geelong assuming that Horlin-Smith was also comfortable returning home to SA. I wouldn't like to see a player that has talent and wants to play for Geelong be cast off without a lot of consideration. The Moloney/Ottens trade however is one example which was successful when the player traded was reluctant to leave.

I'll put my hand up there, just thought I'd stir the pot a little :D

Learning (slowly) just to have faith in the club and where they see players developing. I see some have already suggested Schroeder should be on his way out, was going ok as a goal kicking flanker in the VFL but is now predominately played as an in-and-under mid. Has flown under the radar but deemed to have been in the best over the first few rounds.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him emerge in a similar fashion to GHS this time next year as a contested-ball beast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back