Toast George Horlin-Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd have swapped Caddy and Hyphen for Boak in a heart beat and still would. There's a difference between the potential displayed by Horlin-Smith and Caddy and the proven class Boak has consistently shown. Reckon he'd be the difference between us having a good vs great midfield this year and while long term we might lose out, in the short term we are a real chance at a premiership and it'd be worth paying a bit overs for a player who'd have instant impact though still provide another 5+ years of football.

Irrelevant now, he signed for Port and we've got two promising young players that are impressing.

Agree with all of that.

Having said that, very happy we have Hyphen and Caddy and think both will be very good 10 year players for us.

HH just got a nomination for the rising star.
He will give us 10 years of great service and wants to be at the club.
I for one will not deflate his tyres.

GREAT EFFORT

If he stays in the side he should be a big chance.

But back on Planet Earth, the AFL and the media have determined that Gold Coast and GWS have the greatest youngsters ever assembled, regardless of how well they actually play it'll come from one of those clubs.

What interests me - is if these clubs start to improve, their younger players develop and really start showing some form - as their contracts some up - their price tag goes up as well. They too havea salary cap - so they just can't keep paying top dollar to all theor possibel stars and older, established players like Ablett. Some will want to go home and some will be open to joining another club - you would suspect.

Does that mean that a team like GFC could pick up a good young footballer from GWS or GCFC ? Maybe.

Perhaps in a season or two or three - we could get a ruckman or a KP backman from north of the border.

One day we might repay GCFC a little and to be able to outbid or entice a really good player to leave and join us. The lure of a Premiership medallion is too strong (with adequate renumeration as well). Maybe what goes around wil come around ?

What interests me - is if these clubs start to improve, their younger players develop and really start showing some form - as their contracts some up - their price tag goes up as well. They too havea salary cap - so they just can't keep paying top dollar to all theor possibel stars and older, established players like Ablett. Some will want to go home and some will be open to joining another club - you would suspect.

Does that mean that a team like GFC could pick up a good young footballer from GWS or GCFC ? Maybe.

We already have!

I think what'll happen is the same as always - some high draft picks will become stars, some will become good solid players, some won't make it. I'll take our recruitment and development over sheep mentality about top 10 draft picks any day of the week.

Horlin-Smith has just become the latest in a very long line of examples that Geelong have provided.

We already have!

I think what'll happen is the same as always - some high draft picks will become stars, some will become good solid players, some won't make it. I'll take our recruitment and development over sheep mentality about top 10 draft picks any day of the week.

Horlin-Smith has just become the latest in a very long line of examples that Geelong have provided.

Bulleye :thumbsu: Some fools , even some very knowledgeable fools inside the industry really do get this. Being picked early is only a part of the story.
For a start , even though there may be a general agreement on those early players , once you get past the bleeding obvious kids that Blind Freddies Dog could pick as 1,2,3 it gets into an area of personal taste on which player you believe is the best and /or the one who will develop into the best ( for what ever reason)

This Frankesnstein science experiment , this great method of building a club , is more to me like a Recruiting Managers wet dream. "Oh , i like him , I love him , oooww he's good , gees if only we had 5 picks what type of a team could we build....".

It's all a highly speculative wank. Out of , as you have said they will get some excellent players , some ordinary players and some failures. We have a good one playing in AFL side right now , and one who has fallen thru their system playing in our VFL side. It will be noteworthy to see how many of these second chance guys can recover after being in their system. I have no doubt that some of the failures would have had different outcomes at different clubs.

Perhaps in a season or two or three - we could get a ruckman or a KP backman from north of the border.

One day we might repay GCFC a little and to be able to outbid or entice a really good player to leave and join us. The lure of a Premiership medallion is too strong (with adequate renumeration as well). Maybe what goes around wil come around ?

When they start to sort out who is a regular best 25 and as the side starts to elevate of the bottom , how they keep their success stories happy will be easier than their fringe players. After the pain at the start , playing in a side thats a solid performer that wins and is becoming a finals chance will be enough for most to take less.
But I do suspect we will see a player or 2 , annually looking for an out. More likely the ones , that are in and out or have failed due to so many kids in their system than their stars. To a degree GC/GWS may well be secretly happy with this if they can get to add fresh kids to their system , spreading their age. I dont think there will be too many bargains. The AFL will not want them picked over like Vultures on a dead carcass. If the day comes that they dont have the cap to keep enough of them , I have no doubt that an AFL assessed cost of living addition (like Swans) will be forth coming.

I know it may seem like an outrageous call but it's my opinion that GHS will finish his career a better player than Boak. Also, if we had have traded George for Boak we'd get probably 5-7 years out of Travis but having kept GHS we'll probably get another 10years out of him. Just my (biased) opinion.

Bulleye :thumbsu: Some fools , even some very knowledgeable fools inside the industry really do get this. Being picked early is only a part of the story.
For a start , even though there may be a general agreement on those early players , once you get past the bleeding obvious kids that Blind Freddies Dog could pick as 1,2,3 it gets into an area of personal taste on which player you believe is the best and /or the one who will develop into the best ( for what ever reason)

This Frankesnstein science experiment , this great method of building a club , is more to me like a Recruiting Managers wet dream. "Oh , i like him , I love him , oooww he's good , gees if only we had 5 picks what type of a team could we build....".

It's all a highly speculative wank. Out of , as you have said they will get some excellent players , some ordinary players and some failures. We have a good one playing in AFL side right now , and one who has fallen thru their system playing in our VFL side. It will be noteworthy to see how many of these second chance guys can recover after being in their system. I have no doubt that some of the failures would have had different outcomes at different clubs.

The thing is, as scientific as it has become, you can't measure everything. You can't measure desire, or dedication, or sacrifice, or maturity in 17-year-olds. I doubt Cameron Ling would even pass muster in most athletic examinations they'd do now, but his dedication and determination would have been off the charts. You can't factor in the one pure intangible - luck. Is the player going to decide that hanging out and getting smashed every weekend is good enough for him, with all the money he's making? Is the player going to have the right players around him, or bad influences.

To me, there are far too many other factors than just what number you fall in a popularity contest. And that's all the draft is. It's not final and it's not definitive. I'll take our measly picks in the 20s and 30s and 40s and be quite content. It looks like it's working ok for us.

If he stays in the side he should be a big chance.

But back on Planet Earth, the AFL and the media have determined that Gold Coast and GWS have the greatest youngsters ever assembled, regardless of how well they actually play it'll come from one of those clubs.
Like Daniel Talia last year?

Caddy was a potential star at GC but not an established one. I am thinking of a player who has been in the system longer - like 5 years and had a break out season and is an established player / star.

I know it is 7/8 years before FA kicks in but some players may just want out and really in 2-3 years time GFC will still be a strong finals contender IMO. Could be tempting for some players. HMac, Caddy and Rivers maybe proof good things can happen at another club - especially at Catland.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caddy was a potential star at GC but not an established one. I am thinking of a player who has been in the system longer - like 5 years and had a break out season and is an established player / star.

I know it is 7/8 years before FA kicks in but some players may just want out and really in 2-3 years time GFC will still be a strong finals contender IMO. Could be tempting for some players. HMac, Caddy and Rivers maybe proof good things can happen at another club - especially at Catland.

In 2-3 years time GC/GWS should be winning enough games to be pushing for a finals spot like Rich and North now.
Any delisted player becomes a FA , no matter his age but you are talking about a required player. A player that has been with them 6ish years , that been slowly building and then becomes a standout in his last year of contract. ie has found a spot in the side and playing well. Sort of like a Bellchamber's age and experience. I can't see that happening really , a player just breaking out would be highly valued by his current club.

Interesting article in the Adi today.
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2013/04/26/363784_gfc.html

The 51-100 game mark seems to be highly valued and the issue with only having 3 players in the 51-100 range , 2 of which are late mature types , shows why we must continue to favour kids , a bit like affirmative action if you like. Sort of helps explain why Caddy was keenly targeted. some of the premium we paid was for those games he had played.

Looking at our list , Menzel's injury hurts us (obviously) but the games our young guys have played are
51-100 by the end of 2013
45 , Poodle Hunt
45 , Trent West
40 , Bundy
31 , Motlop

51-100 by the end of 2014
28 , Caddy
21, Menzel
20, Guthrie
18, Smedts

51-100 by the end of 2015+
11, Vardy
10, Murda
8 , Jessie Stringer
7 , Walker
6 , Brown
5, George HorlinSmith
4, Ballroom Blitz

George is still 2 years away from this mark , it shows why playing him and a few others are such a high priority.

It also shows why at some point we must be hard enough not to waste games on some players( young and old) ie Its going to be almost impossible to get Walker and Brown to 50 game by 2015. One looks at that list and one can assume in trade period at years end , the Cats would be looking at which player are available in the 40-80 game range. If the right player is there , I could see us trading our R1 pick.

Highly doubt George will win the Rising Star. My guess at this stage would be Wines , OMera perhaps even a Vlastuin.
Agree with you there. Wines would have to be streets ahead of everybody else at the moment, plus he's guaranteed 20 games this year as long as he stays fit. He's probably also the most dynamic of the young players this year.

George reminds me (in terms of body shape) of Sam Mitchell. He's got that really squat shape without looking like a Nathan Jones-esque meathead.

Should've swapped Varcoe for Boak while we had the chance, foolish decision not to trade him, not worth squat now!
Anyhow those in the position to do something didn't!

meto. for goodness sake...get over your anti-Varcoe obsession.

Varcoe amply demonstrated his value to our structure this year...I would have thought even you would have seen that.

To say he is not worth squat now is utterly ridiculous.

95%+ of the people on this board, Chris Scott, the MC and countless others consider Varcoe a very fine player, worthy of his place in the team.

You don't have to agree, ( I accept that!) ....but bringing him up on every issue, relevant to him or not, where you can belittle him in some way is frankly bordering on the pathological.

As you're entitled to express your opinion I suspect we will hear more of it but your incessant bagging of him colors the value of your opinions on other matters which is a shame because some of it is worthwhile.

Just saying.........

Should've swapped Varcoe for Boak while we had the chance, foolish decision not to trade him, not worth squat now!

Was that a realistic option? Im not sure id heard that one before , GHS...yes but TV? Straight swap? That would have been something worth calculating. We were very concerned about our inside ball gathering ability. First point of order , was TV out of contract , if not would he have wanted to go back to Port. Port was pretty smelly , not many would have thought they would be 5-0.
We are very good at dealing with players wanting out , not very good at instigating trade especially of Premiership players.

1) No it wasnt

2) No he wasn't.

I doubt very much it was even considered. On meto's reasoning, we should have offered the bloke in your avi....i mean he's worth squat now!!! :rolleyes:

Boak and Dangerfield have both gone from strength to strength since we chased them. Their quality was obvious, shame we missed out but they decided to stay it was not a trading decision.

ha ha ha ha
Oh I haven't smiled for a few days.
Meto. Is Jeffrey your son?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back