George R R Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Ok might get bagged here pretty bad, but currently up to book 3 in the Song of Ice and Fire trilogy.

the books are great, apart from a little bit excessive sexual content (looking at his picture i can see why) but they are quite pacy and I enjoy the split of characters over each chapter. I am half way through the book and am trying to work out who is the main character :thumbsu:

has anyone else read his books and what do you think ?

I've just finished reading book 3 (A Storm of Swords). I'm enjoying them.

I think one of the good points is there is not one main character. You've got a bunch of important ones in Danerys, Jon, Bran, but you can't say one is the main character. Though so far my favourites are Jon, Bran and Arya.

Reading the first book you get (or at least I did), that the main character was going to be Eddard. Only for him to be beheaded two-thirds of the way through it. It seems to be a theme for the books. Most fantasy has lots of battles and deaths, but usually not so many amongst characters getting chapters. It makes it feel more brutal (for lack of a better word). Add in that the 'good' guys seem to end up losing all wars, but the bastards still get what they deserve and it makes for an enjoyable different storyline from the standard 'isolated farm/peasent/secret royal boy/girl destined to save the world'.

Favourite fantasy series by far, really well written, great character development. I can't wait for the next one.

Best.Series.Ever

There's numerous spoiler chapter floating around the net for those who cant wait for Dance with Dragons. Also In this book, one new POV character will be brought in, and one old who hasn't been in it for a while.

At first I didnt want to read them(the spoiler chapters) becuase I wanted to wait for the new one, but then I gave in to temptation. You get to find out where Tyrion is, and some interesting developments on the wall.

now waiting for the last book to be finished :( .

hurry the hell up george:)
There's meant to be TWO more after A feast for Crows last I heard.

The only downside to liking fantasy is the wait between books.

Some of mine are:
Fiest - read Magician 20 years ago - still writing in same world.
Jordan - started reading The Wheel of Time 15 years ago, now it's a race to see if Jordan lives long enough (he's seriously ill) to finish book 12 (the last one).
Goodkind -started late, but still over half a decade since started reading The Sword of Truth series.

There's meant to be TWO more after A feast for Crows last I heard.

The only downside to liking fantasy is the wait between books.

Some of mine are:
Fiest - read Magician 20 years ago - still writing in same world.
Jordan - started reading The Wheel of Time 15 years ago, now it's a race to see if Jordan lives long enough (he's seriously ill) to finish book 12 (the last one).
Goodkind -started late, but still over half a decade since started reading The Sword of Truth series.

TWO more books, fair enough I suppose, the next book is in reality part of feast of crows anyway ? he just realised how big it would be ?

Best.Series.Ever

There's numerous spoiler chapter floating around the net for those who cant wait for Dance with Dragons. Also In this book, one new POV character will be brought in, and one old who hasn't been in it for a while.

At first I didnt want to read them(the spoiler chapters) becuase I wanted to wait for the new one, but then I gave in to temptation. You get to find out where Tyrion is, and some interesting developments on the wall.

Are the spolier chapters to be part of the new book ? or are they separate ?

I was looking on his site and found a link to a MUDD developed around the books, looks interesting.

TWO more books, fair enough I suppose, the next book is in reality part of feast of crows anyway ? he just realised how big it would be ?
From what I've read, yes. Originally it was going to be one book and also a gap of five years since A Storm of Swords, so the kids could grow. However he couldn't manage to do either to his satisfaction, so effectively a book in two parts set across the same time frame (though A Dance with Dragons is meant to continue past the end of AFFC timewise).
Are the spolier chapters to be part of the new book ? or are they separate ?
Part of the new book.

From what I've read, yes. Originally it was going to be one book and also a gap of five years since A Storm of Swords, so the kids could grow. However he couldn't manage to do either to his satisfaction, so effectively a book in two parts set across the same time frame (though A Dance with Dragons is meant to continue past the end of AFFC timewise).

Part of the new book.

A gap of 5 yrs !! that seems a massive amount of time considering how the A Storm of Swords finishes. I reckon I might have to have a look for some spoilers (but maybe not)

*this could be a spoiler for those reading*
back to one of your prev points regarding main characters, pretty much all of my fav characters are now dead (or presumed dead), which leaves my favorite character as one of the "bad guys" (Tyrion).

back to one of your prev points regarding main characters, pretty much all of my fav characters are now dead (or presumed dead), which leaves my favorite character as one of the "bad guys" (Tyrion).
So who were your favourites? And I wouldn't classify Tyrion as one of the bad guys, he's definitely a shade of gray.

A gap of 5 yrs !! that seems a massive amount of time considering how the A Storm of Swords finishes. I reckon I might have to have a look for some spoilers (but maybe not).
Considering Arya is 8 or 9, Sansa 13 or so, and Bran 8, Rickon 4 and even Jon only a teen I can see the logic behind the idea, but as noted he couldn't figure a way to do it with everything left hanging as it was at the end of ASoS.

Well basically its the stark family (obviously :eek: )- with most of them dead (well Cat is not dead but not sure if its the same person). Brienne was becoming a good character (hung ?), and there is a couple of others who have been killed who's name escape me (its been a while since I read the first few books)

however I am not complaining I actually like the fact you can not get into the rythme of "going for hero" because occasionally they are killed.

So if Tyrion is simply a shade of Grey that must mean Jamie is a good guy:D

Considering Arya is 8 or 9, Sansa 13 or so, and Bran 8, Rickon 4 and even Jon only a teen I can see the logic behind the idea, but as noted he couldn't figure a way to do it with everything left hanging as it was at the end of ASoS.

I have to say that is the only thing irks me about Georges' books is the extreme ages, people are doing things at 10-12 that 20-25yrs olds would only dream of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theres 3 more A Dance With Dragons, The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring.

There's also a released novella and a forthcoming one set a few years before the asoif time.

As for good and bad characters something grrm refered to and is obviosly trying to portray- the villian is the other side's hero-which makes the books so good.

Ive liked Tyrion from the start, this crafty little witty dwarf who runs amok.

Still no update on the latest book, although there is a sample chapter up on his website: http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html

I read that a while ago - I am happy that I did but in a way I wish I didn't.

so looking forward to this book, I reckon its going to be the first hard cover book i buy.

also looking forward to seeing how they look on TV

Yeah, I won't wait for paperback, too keen to read this one. Will probably start shortly from the beginning again to refresh everything.

The first three books were awesome then a five year hiatus for Crows, which quite frankly was very pretty ordinary.

Now that this series has made him money he is finding all sorts of excuses not to move it on in a timely fashion.

All my favourite characters will be in Dragons (except Arya) so looking forward to it.

Here is hoping he doesn't go the way of Robert Jordan, who I do not think will get to complete WOT.

The first three books were awesome then a five year hiatus for Crows, which quite frankly was very pretty ordinary.

Now that this series has made him money he is finding all sorts of excuses not to move it on in a timely fashion.

All my favourite characters will be in Dragons (except Arya) so looking forward to it.

Here is hoping he doesn't go the way of Robert Jordan, who I do not think will get to complete WOT.

agree
I think there was a law passed in the 70's that say you are not allowed to write high fantasy unless you have a full beard.

:D

Have loved these books, but am a bit bogged down in A Feast For Crows.

There have been some good character additions, such as Cersei, but too many boring ones like Brienne, Sansa and Sam. Arya is still interesting.

The next book should be great however, with Dani, Jon, Tyrion and Aryas mum (forget her name)

But, have just read a chapter on Brienne, and came across what I would say is the best piece of writing i have ever read. It is on page 464 of my book, and is Septon Meribald explaining to Brienne and Pod how ordinary men become rapists and thieves due to war.

Simply a stunning bit of writing!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back