George R R Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Feast and Dance didn't feel like that at all. It was making everything bigger and didn't resolve much, and ended on rather cheap cliffhangers. The next book is said to resolve the burning questions of Dance rather quickly, and are parts that GRRM couldn't fit in to Dance. If we take the first bunch of chapters from Winter out, combined it with Dance and Feast the book, although being very very very long would be so much better for being complete.
ADWD was meant to have resolutions of the Fire (Mereen) and Ice (Stannis) battles as the end of the book. His editor said it'd be too large and they got bumped to the start of Winds. I wish his editor had had the balls to say trim the Dany thumb twiddling chapters down instead. :(

ADWD was meant to have resolutions of the Fire (Mereen) and Ice (Stannis) battles as the end of the book. His editor said it'd be too large and they got bumped to the start of Winds. I wish his editor had had the balls to say trim the Dany thumb twiddling chapters down instead. :(

But then we wouldn't get to hear about Dany pining for Daario. We all the know that's super important to the overall plot:p

I have just completed ADWD and I am not certain what I am going to do for the next 3-5 years of my miserable existence waiting for the next book to be released.

Are spoilers allowed in this thread???? There is so much I need to discuss!

I have just completed ADWD and I am not certain what I am going to do for the next 3-5 years of my miserable existence waiting for the next book to be released.

Are spoilers allowed in this thread???? There is so much I need to discuss!

ASOIAF forums are a good place to read about stuff you may have missed. I learnt a fair a bit reading stuff there, highly reccomend it.

I still feel like the first three had a bit more closure. I think he'll finish it relatively fast never the less I abhor people talking about a person's potential death with such tone of entitlement.

I think the fat man will take as long as he feels like to write them, so 5+ years per book is about pace. Give him credit, he has got to the point now where he doesn't care if people complain. I remember for awhile there he used to get ultra defensive. Now he's like "well, i don't care"

I think the fat man will take as long as he feels like to write them, so 5+ years per book is about pace. Give him credit, he has got to the point now where he doesn't care if people complain. I remember for awhile there he used to get ultra defensive. Now he's like "well, i don't care"
I think the concern he has about the show catching up to the books are legitimate. Hopefully he does quicken up for the final two.

I think the concern he has about the show catching up to the books are legitimate. Hopefully he does quicken up for the final two.

They'll play spoiler to his books i guess.

i can't see the series getting all the way to the end, that is my skeptism. Would need at least 7 series to even cover the books he has already written.

They'll play spoiler to his books i guess.

i can't see the series getting all the way to the end, that is my skeptism. Would need at least 7 series to even cover the books he has already written.
AFFC and ADWD could each be one series. Only book 3 needs 2. Especially given AFFC and ADWD are more character than action driven and lots of characters are cut from the show.
So it'd be 6 series for the books so far, plus 2 more - IF he keeps it to two more books. So 8 seasons.

The problem is the series will run up against the books before the end. Even if GRRM keeps it to two more books - which is iffy given parts of what were going to be in ADWD had to be pushed back to the next book - at the most very optimistic Winds of Winter will be in the second half of 2014. Which would be after season 4 of the show. Then another 3 years to the last book in 2017. At a laughably incredibly optimistic best GRRM would be needing to get the writers book 7 pretty much as he's sending it off for editing so they have time to write scripts ready for filming.

And no one in their right mind would bet GRRM will finish the next two in 2014 and 2017 given his track record. I think they'll get Winds of Winter on TV ok, but there'll be a gap of a year or two with no Game of Thrones on TV before coming back to film the final season. Could it be done? Sure, but it's a big difference between keeping actors, writers, directors and all the rest on contract from year to year than saying - go do something else, but leave either 2019 or 2020 free - not sure which but don't worry about earning a living then.

And GRRM is not going to want his last book ruined by giving all the information to HBO to produce and show the TV series whilst he's still writing and editing it.

It's not unheard of for HBO shows to have year long gaps between series - The Sopranos, The Wire and Curb Your Enthusiasm have all done it. So I guess that is something the production team might do if they decide they don't want to leapfrog GRRM and let him finish the books first.

If they take a year off, they'll probably take the Spartacus approach and film a side-story/prequel.

War of the Usurper would be my bet, although the Dunk and Egg stories would also work (that said, I think they'd be great stand alone movies, but that's just my preference).

A prequel focusing on the War of the Usurper would be awesome. Might finally find out exactly what happened at the Tower of Joy.
Depends whether they reveal R+L=J in Winds of Winter. If they don't I highly doubt GRRM would let Jon's parentage be confirmed, whoever it is, beyond a doubt via HBO rather than his books. Dunk and Egg stories as a filler though would be good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends whether they reveal R+L=J in Winds of Winter. If they don't I highly doubt GRRM would let Jon's parentage be confirmed, whoever it is, beyond a doubt via HBO rather than his books. Dunk and Egg stories as a filler though would be good.

Yeah I imagine GRRM is pretty keen to keep that one under wraps till he publishes it. I'm just so keen to find out whether R+L=J is true lol.

I haven't read Dunk and Egg but I'd like to check it out at some point.

ASOIAF forums are a good place to read about stuff you may have missed. I learnt a fair a bit reading stuff there, highly reccomend it.

Thanks for that.

I went there, I blinked and 6 hours had passed such is how caught up I got on the theories and potential story lines.

I may have to have a second read through now ugh

Yeah Dunk and Egg is really excellent. Looking forward to the next one where they'll visit Winterfell...expecting to see an appearance of old nan! Hodor is quite tall afterall...

Thanks for that.

I went there, I blinked and 6 hours had passed such is how caught up I got on the theories and potential story lines.

I may have to have a second read through now ugh

Yeah its good isn't it. Some very observant minds there.

I'm nearing the end of A Storm of Swords. It's bloody good.

Did everyone else lose their s**t when
Sam came out of the well in the Nightfort?
. The 'red wedding' was quite the shocker as well. As sick I as I felt reading that afterwards, I also thought "yeah, this book is brilliant". :thumbsu:

I assumed the RW would be Joffery's. Needless to say, both weddings took me by surprise. :eek:

I also find myself gradually smiling more and more, uncontrollably, throughout every one of Jamie's chapters. Love his development. Him, Arya and Davos tied for as my favourites.

I've enjoyed GoT and have been reading the books but have absolutely hit the wall. I'm really struggling with the tedium and can't face reading on. I'm somewhere half way through book 2.

Any light at the end of the tunnel? How can I get my mojo for reading this series back?

I've enjoyed GoT and have been reading the books but have absolutely hit the wall. I'm really struggling with the tedium and can't face reading on. I'm somewhere half way through book 2.

Any light at the end of the tunnel? How can I get my mojo for reading this series back?

Book 3 is ****ing awesome.

That is all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back