George R R Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Have decided to stay pure, although all the released chapters are almost like 1/5th of a normal novel at this stage so maybe I should read them.
They do feel like cropped chapters.

Show's ending was the meat and potatoes of his books ending. Its unpopularity is another reason for him to never finish.
It wasn't the ending so much as the rushed feel. If he makes Dany's descent into tyranny and madness more gradual in the books it'd get a reasonable reception.

Has anyone else read the chapters released from WOW?
Yep. Between those and supposedly the battles of Ice (Winterfell) and Fire (Slavers Bay) largely were done and pushed to WoW because his publisher said ADoD would have been too big (if only they'd forced him to edit the Dany doing nothing chapters for large parts of the book down instead :( ), he's got himself in some major hole. Even the gap between Feast and ADoD everyone lamented now looks like a short sabbatical in comparison.

Lets hope that covid-19 forces the fat one to stay home and finish this damn book.

Three months since the last post and not a single update of any worth.

Lets hope that covid-19 forces the fat one to stay home and finish this damn book.

Three months since the last post and not a single update of any worth.

March 17th 2020
"For those of you who may be concerned for me personally… yes, I am aware that I am very much in the most vulnerable population, given my age and physical condition. But I feel fine at the moment, and we are taking all sensible precautions. I am off by myself in a remote isolated location, attended by one of my staff, and I’m not going in to town or seeing anyone. Truth be told, I am spending more time in Westeros than in the real world, writing every day. Things are pretty grim in the Seven Kingdoms… but maybe not as grim as they may become here."

March 17th 2020
"For those of you who may be concerned for me personally… yes, I am aware that I am very much in the most vulnerable population, given my age and physical condition. But I feel fine at the moment, and we are taking all sensible precautions. I am off by myself in a remote isolated location, attended by one of my staff, and I’m not going in to town or seeing anyone. Truth be told, I am spending more time in Westeros than in the real world, writing every day. Things are pretty grim in the Seven Kingdoms… but maybe not as grim as they may become here."
Plenty of talk but little real information. Let's hope he is in the right time in Westeros.

Must admit I did enjoy all the Dunk and Egg's.
Yeah I really enjoyed them and getting a look at more targs and small folk and the whole evolving friendship of dunk and egg. Hopefully he finally clouts the boy

Getting more confident winds releases think he will also get out another fire and blood and maybe some dunk and egg but dream ain’t happening

In reality he’s probably smashing out multiple seasons of screen plays for the new GOT prequel.

He’s one of the biggest sell outs in literary history.

Yeah I really enjoyed them and getting a look at more targs and small folk and the whole evolving friendship of dunk and egg. Hopefully he finally clouts the boy
Haha, agreed! He has been threatening forever!

I want the link to got too, that could be fun.

Haha, agreed! He has been threatening forever!

I want the link to got too, that could be fun.
It's funny, even though the Hedge Knight stories are more self-contained and simpler than GoT he's still managed to make things complicated for himself, because he's going to run into the issue of Fire & Blood overlapping the events he's writing in Dunk & Egg, and I think he wants to finish Dunk & Egg before summarizing the story beats in F&B.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just so we are clear I didn't watch this movie.

Lol, true.

You should. It's great.

Some criticised that joke at the time because it was too 'zeitgeisty' but I think ages well with every year there isn't a new book.

I've started a re-read of the novels, the last time I read them was just before the show started. This time I'm taking my time, whereas last time I kinda rushed through due to wanting to see where the story went. This time, for example, I'm paying more attention to the likes of Wyman Manderly whenever he happens to pop up in the story. I'm currently up to A Clash of Kings.

It might even inspire me to rewatch the show, but like Jon Snow, my watch will end with his death.

Just finished ADWD. Now I have to get in the queue with you poor souls.

Felt sorry for you reading through this thread. As hope faded with each passing year.

‘And now my wait begins’ - the winds watch.
Lol, was just looking through this thread and realised my watch started almost two years ago and he doesn't look remotely close to finishing it. In February he said 'he did hundreds of pages in 2020 during covid and still had hundreds of pages to go.' Add to that the 5 years contract he has with HBO to write content for them.

Had the guy even written anything for WOW before 2020? I do think he moved some stuff out of ADoD to WOW.

Lol, was just looking through this thread and realised my watch started almost two years ago and he doesn't look remotely close to finishing it. In February he said 'he did hundreds of pages in 2020 during covid and still had hundreds of pages to go.' Add to that the 5 years contract he has with HBO to write content for them.

Had the guy even written anything for WOW before 2020? I do think he moved some stuff out of ADoD to WOW.
My guess is it’s so convoluted and he’s so rich he just doesn’t care

He's said that the Battles of Mereen and Winterfell were shifted out of ADoD to WoW as the book would have been too large. 5 - 10 less chapters of Dany moping to give us those would have made ADoD much better.

I don't read all his blogs, but from reading overviews of what he's posted, most seem to be about friends dying of late. Which tells you it's not getting finished before he dies. I just hope for a WoW before he keels over. I remember when GoT came out. It was firstly - 'Hopefully he finishes before the series!'. Then 'Hopefully we get WoW before it's done!'.

I've read (and enjoyed) Fire & Blood, the Targaryen prequel (part 1 of 2), but that and now the next TV deal. It's every distraction to have reasons not to finish the books. He's boxed himself in badly obviously and a decade later still can't find a way out.

He's said that the Battles of Mereen and Winterfell were shifted out of ADoD to WoW as the book would have been too large. 5 - 10 less chapters of Dany moping to give us those would have made ADoD much better.

I don't read all his blogs, but from reading overviews of what he's posted, most seem to be about friends dying of late. Which tells you it's not getting finished before he dies. I just hope for a WoW before he keels over. I remember when GoT came out. It was firstly - 'Hopefully he finishes before the series!'. Then 'Hopefully we get WoW before it's done!'.

I've read (and enjoyed) Fire & Blood, the Targaryen prequel (part 1 of 2), but that and now the next TV deal. It's every distraction to have reasons not to finish the books. He's boxed himself in badly obviously and a decade later still can't find a way out.
I was going to say that he's a chronic procrastinator, but I'll do it tomorrow.

Bought 1st book (secondhand). Plan being "Oh it's 10 years since the show started! I'll finally read the books!". 30 pages in it's fun to notice the differences to the TV series. Fantasy in magic and presentation is less cloaked. But Ned's Winter is coming lines have me thinking "No it ******* isn't" as the internet taught me this author has given up. It may just sit on my shelf until George RR Martin is dead.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back