Roast Gerard Whateley’s Rant on AFL360 (22/08/19)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think Kane has some point. Its not all on Ken. Some of these players failed under Primus and were involved in some shambolic losses under him and Choco too.

Its why ill be happy when some of these gross chokers leave the club
We need to offload the senior players who are mentally weak and/or have poor disposal. Sure a better game plan giving more space will help, but we have too many that miss targets in space under little or no pressure.

Of our long term senior players I definitely want out (trade, retire or delist) Westhoff, Ebert, S. Gray, Broadbent, Jonas. If we can't get a trade I'd rather delist every one of them at this point.

And if the club doesn't stuff things up and trade SPP I'd rather Wines off the list whilst he's got currency. I'm sure the club could slim him down, but at this point he's not going to improve his disposal.

Hartlett I wouldn't delist like those on the first list if we weren't able to get a trade, but I'd take anything more than a late 3rd for him and take the win.

Time to go all in with a rebuild, that's built around having players with skills and mental hardness. If I want to watch someone kick like a stormtrooper shoots I'll just pick up a footy myself and go to the park.

We need to offload the senior players who are mentally weak and/or have poor disposal. Sure a better game plan giving more space will help, but we have too many that miss targets in space under little or no pressure.

Of our long term senior players I definitely want out (trade, retire or delist) Westhoff, Ebert, S. Gray, Broadbent, Jonas. If we can't get a trade I'd rather delist every one of them at this point.

And if the club doesn't stuff things up and trade SPP I'd rather Wines off the list whilst he's got currency. I'm sure the club could slim him down, but at this point he's not going to improve his disposal.

Hartlett I wouldn't delist like those on the first list if we weren't able to get a trade, but I'd take anything more than a late 3rd for him and take the win.

Time to go all in with a rebuild, that's built around having players with skills and mental hardness. If I want to watch someone kick like a stormtrooper shoots I'll just pick up a footy myself and go to the park.

You and I both know that these players were the ones to move on last year, and not the Polecs and Wingards of the list. Instead we now have a gaping hole of mid-aged good ball users, and a host of older rapidly depreciating spuds to offer as trade bait.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I would not at all be surprised if the club has encouraged the local Port media and shows such as AFL360 to attempt to dampen the supporters' voices from expecting a change in the senior coaching position. It would be an attempt to condition the supporters' thinking back towards seeing the matter from the view of the club and consequently have these vocal supporters feel that they are being unreasonable.

I would not at all be surprised if the club has encouraged the local Port media and shows such as AFL360 to attempt to dampen the supporters' voices from expecting a change in the senior coaching position. It would be an attempt to condition the supporters' thinking back towards seeing the matter from the view of the club and consequently have these vocal supporters feel that they are being unreasonable.
I think Ken's manager is running to the media.

You could be right re Port.

But here is another reason why they might have done what you have suggested. Rile up the Port supporters who are saying F.O. to the media, like in this thread, you don't know Port, the board then sack Ken, and then they say, see we listen to our fans and members, we don't accept mediocrity like the media have suggested we should.

As I said in another post, its all politics, and now there is more politics in the AFL than in Canberra.

Harlott

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I cannot fathom the idiocy of that if it's their intention.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Whately is reinforcing a culture on us that is not Port Adelaide but it is every other club's culture.
This is the reason why Port should not be looking to copy other clubs' cultures and belief systems. i.e. Sydney's co-captaincy model and accepting the 'wait your turn for success because of the AFL equalisation' system.
Fair enough to steal ideas to improve fitness, conditioning, game strategies, etc ... but not to change our philosophy on how we view our reason of existence and how we should go about setting high demands.
These other clubs believe that they'll get their turn to win a flag, but our culture should be that we believe it is always our turn to win a flag, as it always has been. We've strayed from that belief.

Eventually someone around AFL360, probably Nick Reiwoldt, was going to say: "You know you guys have a material impact on the atmosphere around a club that leads to people losing their jobs, you get that right?" and Whateley started to feel a bit guilty that their quest to fill 40 minutes four times a week with questioning coaches positions.

Whately is reinforcing a culture on us that is not Port Adelaide but it is every other club's culture.
This is the reason why Port should not be looking to copy other clubs' cultures and belief systems. i.e. Sydney's co-captaincy model and accepting the 'wait your turn for success because of the AFL equalisation' system.
Fair enough to steal ideas to improve fitness, conditioning, game strategies, etc ... but not to change our philosophy on how we view our reason of existence and how we should go about setting high demands.
These other clubs believe that they'll get their turn to win a flag, but our culture should be that we believe it is always our turn to win a flag, as it always has been. We've strayed from that belief.

"You can only dominate the competition if you are Geelong, Hawthorn, or Collingwood. Yes we allow Sydney and West Coast to get a finals berth almost every year, but that's for ratings, not for premierships. Now that Richmond is on a roll and Brisbane are on the rise, our KPIs are through the roof." - someone at AFL house probably.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think Ken's manager is running to the media.

You could be right re Port.

But here is another reason why they might have done what you have suggested. Rile up the Port supporters who are saying F.O. to the media, like in this thread, you don't know Port, the board then sack Ken, and then they say, see we listen to our fans and members, we don't accept mediocrity like the media have suggested we should.

As I said in another post, its all politics, and now there is more politics in the AFL than in Canberra.

Yeah maybe you are right. I would like you to be right.

When a former official of the club says to me that Hinkley will be coach next year, then I cannot think it is anything but the club encouraging the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the same club that has tried to sell us:
  • Ken was a superhero at 11-4
  • Co-captains will make us more successful
  • Players need a work/life balance akin to royalty
  • Chad Wingard is chaos incarnate and made Houston handball to McKenzie's feet
  • Giving a contracted coach an undeserved hefty contract extension based on three years of abject failure
  • Ignored free experienced advice and haphazardly improvised on a strategy with the possibility to provide financial security despite the SANFL choke-chain that remains around our neck

Can't dismiss it.

Power Girl

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hindsight is a beautiful thing, because this forum was massively in support of offloading Polec and Wingard.
Speak for yourself. The trading of Wingard saw me cancel some of my membership tickets. It damn nearly broke all of my connection to the club. If this muppet survives past this year it will be the end of my involvement until he is gone.

But don't tell me that i was massively in support of offloading Wingard.

Oct 1, 2014
NeverNevers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
"Chill, Ports Powaz fans, u gots to chill, chiiiiiiiiiiiiiiill!"

lol, copping sprays from this gammy gaslighting Ghidora - Rooch, Kane & Gerard - is like getting flogged by warm lettuce.

All Hinkley's Hoez have managed to do is further inflame passions, strengthen the "Sack Hinkley" resolve and make a seriously p!ssed off supporter base even more determined to forever f@%k him off to the Dapto Dogs where he belongs.

Congrats, u condescending campaignerwaffles!

View attachment 732230
3 stooges right there

drcollossimo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United
Trent McKenzie: Power

Dwight Howard: Magpies

The path everyone. The path.
But that’s ok because “We are a really well connected team” ( Billy Frampton, Sam Mayes, Scott Lycett and Dougal excluded of course ) so we are on track to be the AFLs best finishing school !

Whatca mad about ?

Will be interesting to see if his drunk mate Robbo sings from the same hymn book on Elbows and Stupid this evening.
Robbo is being reasonable in his analysis of Hinkley's situation on AA.

The roles have been reversed. Whateley the blithering, emotional, idiot and Robbo the rational, logical, reasonable one. What has happen???? Did they swap each others meds?

Robbo is being reasonable in his analysis of Hinkley's situation on AA.

The roles have been reversed. Whateley the blithering, emotional, idiot and Robbo the rational, logical, reasonable one. What has happen???? Did they swap each others meds?
They've both done 180s... I guess that's why it's called AFL360

AddText_08-23-05.55.02.PNG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back