Roast Gerard Whateley’s Rant on AFL360 (22/08/19)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t understand the Chad and Polec chatter. We keep them we don’t have Rozee Dursmaa and Burton
Going forward I will have those 3 any day

You include Rozee in your ins list, you have to include Ben King in your outs list. We traded pick 6 to pick 5 to get Rozee. We didn't just get it out of nowhere.

You include Rozee in your ins list, you have to include Ben King in your outs list. We traded pick 6 to pick 5 to get Rozee. We didn't just get it out of nowhere.

I’m not sure that makes sense. We never had King. If we wanted King we would have selected him.

We traded out a lot to get pick 5 and 18 in. Pick 5 gave us the chance to take our pick out of the two and we chose Rozee.

Yeah but it's a tough competition. You can't win every game.

I mean someone's got to lose right?
"If someone's got to lose, it is better to be us!"
(Current Port's Motto)

We made zero effort to keep two of our better players. That's purely manufactured. Actually I fib. One of them we made effort to actually push out!

It's the football equivalent of deadbeat dads who quit their job to avoid paying child support.

Ending up with the draftees we did is just a very happy fortunate outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So uh,

Are we just expected to accept that at halftime of our game with Hawthorn in June 2017, we led 62-3.

And since then they’ve finished top-4 (something we haven’t done since 2007) and might make the eight again despite missing the reigning Brownlow Medallist all year and actively pensioning off Roughead (to go with most of their premiership guys)?

Haha, ok.

I’m not sure that makes sense. We never had King. If we wanted King we would have selected him.

We traded out a lot to get pick 5 and 18 in. Pick 5 gave us the chance to take our pick out of the two and we chose Rozee.

It absolutely makes sense. Or if you'd prefer, you could add Jasper Pittard and an absolute shedload of draft picks to the outs. But you definitely can't just say 'we traded Wingard and Polec for Rozee, Burton and Duursma'. That is grossly misrepresenting what happened.

We made zero effort to keep two of our better players. That's purely manufactured. Actually I fib. One of them we made effort to actually push out!

It's the football equivalent of deadbeat dads who quit their job to avoid paying child support.

Ending up with the draftees we did is just a very happy fortunate outcome.

Wow wee, that’s some analogy from making a decision to trade out 2 players who weren’t overly committed to our cause, to get young talented players who might be appreciative of playing with PAFC.
Deadbeat Dads???

It absolutely makes sense. Or if you'd prefer, you could add Jasper Pittard and an absolute shedload of draft picks to the outs. But you definitely can't just say 'we traded Wingard and Polec for Rozee, Burton and Duursma'. That is grossly misrepresenting what happened.

No it made no sense, I was being polite. You can’t give up someone in a trade that you still could have picked in the draft.

I already said we traded a lot - Ben King wasn’t part of it. We rated Rozee higher.

If you list all out ins and outs of our trades for the trade period I’m pretty sure kings name isn’t there.

And if we had selected king (who very few posters on our board wanted mind you) the same argument would have applied.

For context Wingard was my favourite player for probably the last five years - I know we gave up a lot. (But I also read C4s posts)
My issue in the end wasnt trading him it was the fact we got to the point where it was an option.

No it made no sense, I was being polite. You can’t give up someone in a trade that you still could have picked in the draft.

I already said we traded a lot - Ben King wasn’t part of it. We rated Rozee higher.

If you list all out ins and outs of our trades for the trade period I’m pretty sure kings name isn’t there.

And if we had selected king (who very few posters on our board wanted mind you) the same argument would have applied.

For context Wingard was my favourite player for probably the last five years - I know we gave a lot. (But I also read C4s posts)

tenor.gif

We had pick 6 before the Wingard trade. We gave up pick 6 to get pick 5 as part of the Wingard trade. Pick 5 didn't just materialise out of nowhere. You can replace 'Ben King' with 'pick 6' if that makes you feel better, but the fact remains that merely saying 'we gave up Wingard and Polec for Rozee, Burton and Duursma' is hugely misleading.

I'm not continuing this discussion. You can either accept the facts as I've very clearly laid them out to you, or you can continue to be wrong.

tenor.gif

We had pick 6 before the Wingard trade. We gave up pick 6 to get pick 5 as part of the Wingard trade. Pick 5 didn't just materialise out of nowhere.

I'm not continuing this discussion. You can either accept the facts as I've very clearly laid them out to you, or you can continue to be wrong.

Pick 6 is NOT Ben King.

We gained 6 then passed it on - hence we didn’t have it.

Again, list what we had before the trade period, and then again after it.

These comments are a sobering reminder that there are no guarantees.

Yeah. I’m bullish on our young guys, but we’ve been here so many times before, and the reality is, most of them won’t pan out at anywhere near the level that’s hoped.

There was a time when Carlile-Chaplin-Trengove-Surjan-P Stewart-Pittard looked like the rocksolid defensive foundation of a concerted era of challenging.

Wow wee, that’s some analogy from making a decision to trade out 2 players who weren’t overly committed to our cause, to get young talented players who might be appreciative of playing with PAFC.
Deadbeat Dads???

We intentionally lowered our capability to avoid high expectations.

'I can't afford child support, I'm on the dole!' Says man who purposely quit his job.

'We are a young team that lost talented players, you can't expect consistent results' even though they willingly let them go or forced them out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tenor.gif

but the fact remains that merely saying 'we gave up Wingard and Polec for Rozee, Burton and Duursma' is hugely misleading.

What’s more misleading is you claiming that’s what he said. He said we wouldn’t have Rozee, Duursma, Burton if we hadn’t given them up.

I’m happy to end this argument - I’m more than comfortable we didn’t go into trade week with pick 6..... I even checked Wikipedia which never lies

What’s more misleading is you claiming that’s what he said. He said we wouldn’t have Rozee, Duursma, Burton if we hadn’t given them up.

I’m happy to end this argument - I’m more than comfortable we didn’t go into trade week with pick 6..... I even checked Wikipedia which never lies

Guess Rozee just materialised on our list out of thin air then. Great trading by us, well done Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back