Gerard Whateley - Best in the business?

Who is the leading journalist in footy circles?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

DirtyMuso

Senior List
May 30, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Gerard is by far and away the best footy journo there is. The qualities listed are all spot on. Loved his work on 360 lastnight, and every other night for that matter. Plus his commentary on ABC Grandstand is fantastic, best in the business IMO.

Walter H White

All Australian
Nov 22, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Liverpool
I also agree with all of your points completely. I might be biased because Gerard is a Geelong fan like me but he never seems to show any bias at all, great restraint and professionalism.

Bishop

Club Legend
May 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Gerard is awesome, wouldn't even put the others in the same category of him. Does the hard hitting interviews and is well respected by all.

He believes Hird should have been expecting to answer a string of confronting questions from fellow co-host Gerard Whateley that captured the attention of the football public.

“You can’t go on for a twenty-minute interview and not expect to have some unsettling questions, it was a pretty solid chat,” said Robinson on SEN radio.

“Normally it’s good cop, bad cop and I’m the bad cop.

“I thought Hird handled himself pretty well on his feet, people told me it was really tense but sitting there I didn’t think it was.”
http://www.sen.com.au/news/05-15/robbo-talks-hird-on-360-pickers-irrelevant-tigers

That's a little insulting to Gerard.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Gerard is by far and away the best footy journo there is.
I think what distinguishes Whateley from the rest is that he's a journalist first and a football journalist second.

He brings the same rigour and attention to detail to covering sport that you'd expect from a journalist covering hard news. There aren't too many for whom that is true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rohan connolly is ok

I agree, but he's lost a fair bit of cred over the drug saga. Understand his frustration as a supporter defending their club, but he's let that creep into his work far too much.

Sprout

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 6, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, The Exers
Poll options are a joke. May as well have added Humpty Dumpty as an option. Sheahan is retired ffs.

Martin Flanagan is the best football writer going around. Whateley is one of the better ones. Earned points for his grilling of Hird, which was better late than never.

Bishop

Club Legend
May 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The big fella has been lined up to go 1 on 1 with Mick Malthouse tomorrow night at 8.30pm on Fox Footy! Wonder how much $$$ Mick is getting

Beetlebum

Premiership Player
Jul 13, 2011
Formerly Row UU Block 113.
AFL Club
Fremantle
Love Gerard - for a weedy, nerdy looking bloke who appears to have never played a game in his life, he is well-researched and eminently unbiased.

I don't know about him being unbiased, he doesn't actively barrack for Geelong but if he doesn't like a player, coach or a team he can be just as vindictive as any of the flogs he works with. He's just more eloquent than most.

By and large I agree though, he's one of the few men in football that don't make me want to burst my eardrums listening to them talk about the game.

ozgamer

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
Not really a contest for Gerard unless Other is the name of some ghostwriter at the The Roar.

Back