Gerard Whateley - Best in the business?

Who is the leading journalist in footy circles?

• Total voters

Scoopar

Team Captain
Aug 22, 2006
Long Way from Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Hearts of Midlothian, GB Packers.
Gerard Whately is a breath of fresh air in an atmosphere that is putrid with the stench of the boys' club culture. In terms of footy journalism, daylight is second at the moment. Then maybe Damian Barrett.

GW's work on Offsiders along side other sports journalists is excellent.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
His well publicised grilling of Hird is proof in point that Gerard can ask the tough questions and he is always the consummate professional; credible, unbiased, insightful and intelligent.

Discuss.
Last year, when it was time for Whateley the journo/news reporter to stand up and be counted over the Essendon peptides scandal, disappointingly, he proved he was just another company man who played it safe and did the bidding of his Fox Footy & AFL masters.

His change of tone and attitude when interviewing James Hird was refreshing, but too little too late, as far as I'm concerned.

Otherwise, he's a polished performer, but I don't particularly respect his knowledge or opinions.

Since Clinton Grybas is no longer available to call and discuss all things AFL, Whateley is probably the next best. Thankfully doesn't shout and carry on and can discuss issues without repeating himself.

the PILL

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2007
VICTORIA
AFL Club
Essendon
He is the best... Grounded and sensible and quite willing to takes his statements back or re iterate the facts after situations develop ...

I honestly dont know how he was let rise to the top in such a player/tabloid saturated industry...

Unbearable when it comes to pc/off field stuff in the afl like tribunal etc. He badly wants to influence afl decisions
He’s on the books. Has to be.

What business are we talking here? The business of looking down your nose being condescending and thinking you’re better than everyone else and your opinion is the most important because your co host is a muppet?

All true and that bad that I’ve actually gained a respect for Robbo this year. He speaks from the heart and exposes Whatelys agenda almost on a nightly basis. The way he dismisses him though... I don’t know how Robbo didn’t chin him tonight.

Back