Gerard Whateley - Best in the business?

Who is the leading journalist in footy circles?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 5, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I happen to respect gerard whateley.
I'd say his special interest in life is sport. He is passionate about it.
People might say he's a nerd but deep down i see him as a sports nut who knows a lot about sport and how they are run.

I don't reckon anything about Whately has changed over the years, he's always been a football nerd who gushes over any interaction with other football people, speaks using dem big words and is bias towards Geelong. I always wondered why others (especially non-Geelong people) loved him so much.

The Bob Murphy '300' celebration turned me off 360 forever. I'd rather listen to Dermie's special comments while watching Wayne Carey rail my wife than watch those two geriatric cauliflowers.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
I reckon above all else he wants to be respected as a sports intellectual.

The giveaway is that he has regularly as his cricket 'expert's on the Cricket summer version of AFL360 and on SEN Robert Craddock; a sort of 'everyman' journo who is not particulary sophisticated but can deliver 'common sense' observations while Gerard can perform the profound insight.

It's the same formula as working with Robinson and just shows that above all else, Whatelry always wants to be the smartest guy in the room.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Weaselly little hypocrite. The way he picks favourites then tries to just move past any dissent is annoying, but it's the lack of internal consistency that is the worst.

Defending Bucks, and then getting owned by Robbo of all people and just refusing to engage. Just admit you were wrong or discuss things like an adult for once instead of brushing off any critique, likewise apply the same standards to your favourites as those you hold a grudge against.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Whateley could be the best but he has been purchased by the AFL like the rest of them. He is just a puppet passing on the news the AFL want you to hear.
Pretty much every issue and incident in the AFL I could tell you exactly what path the AFL media will take and what they will say. It’s like clockwork how predictable they are.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
He is obviously very intelligent

I don't find him all that bright, maybe he has this intelligent image just because he's a skinny bald guy who pronounces words properly and sits next to Robbo. A lot of football and football media is myth, Whatley's intelligence is probably one of them.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't find him all that bright, maybe he has this intelligent image just because he's a skinny bald guy who pronounces words properly and sits next to Robbo. A lot of football and football media is myth, Whatley's intelligence is probably one of them.
He bamboozles nuffs with big words.

He is a cretin.

Mr X

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Round here
AFL Club
Geelong
Lost me yesterday having Joffa on and the whole segment on crowd behavior.

Why bother talking about it, interviewing someone and doing talk back if you are actually not going to listen and accept peoples POV - and instead just get belligerent yourself about shutting them down?

At his best when he is interviewing sports starts with the view to understanding their background or how they go about being successful and getting them to open up. At his worst when he (I think) tries to play the "common man" high ground which I am not sure he is as familiar with as he asserts......

I don't listen to that station but he doesn't strike me as the talkback host type. I guess he's just chasing the bucks while his star is hot.

Back