German election

Remove this Banner Ad

Was interested to read that the Greens leader Annalena Baerbock stands a reasonable chance of becoming the next Chancellor if she decides to form a coalition of Centre/Left parties. While they may not win the most votes outright, the Greens are currently polling not far behind the CDU (which is currently in a bit of disarray trying to work out who will succeed Merkel) and have previously built some strong alliance networks in regional electorates with most of the other parties, CDU included.

If it happens, AFAIK that would make her the first Greens styled politician to lead a country, certainly a major world power like Germany.

It will be fascinating to see how the party does later in the year and how she could potentially influence EU policy in years to come. More than likely, her election to the highest office would have significant bearing on Australia's future, particularly with regard to climate action, trade and international cooperation.

106869656-1618590264843-gettyimages-1307181197-sg206012_20210315111038179.jpeg

She's apparently uncommonly well respected by politicians of all sides, very intelligent and no doubt her looks won't hurt her chances.

The German Greens are significantly to the right of the Greens in Australia or most of the world, but seem to be capitalising on the collapse of the Social Democrats, who destroyed themselves by going into a coalition propping up the Christian Democrats. Actual left wing parties like Die Linke do not seem to be getting any traction out of it.

At the moment it looks like, much like Menzies and Howard or Chirac or Adenauer, the long and stable period of conservative leadership of a strong leader could be followed by a more chaotic period of instability and uncertainty.

The German Greens are significantly to the right of the Greens in Australia or most of the world, but seem to be capitalising on the collapse of the Social Democrats, who destroyed themselves by going into a coalition propping up the Christian Democrats. Actual left wing parties like Die Linke do not seem to be getting any traction out of it.

At the moment it looks like, much like Menzies and Howard or Chirac or Adenauer, the long and stable period of conservative leadership of a strong leader could be followed by a more chaotic period of instability and uncertainty.

Thanks, that's interesting info. :thumbsu:

From what I understand, for the Greens to form government they would likely need support from parties left of centre, so perhaps in the end their agenda would still have an at least slightly left-wing influence to some extent?

From what I understand, for the Greens to form government they would likely need support from parties left of centre, so perhaps in the end their agenda would still have an at least slightly left-wing influence to some extent?

They historically are more left wing than they are and would be more broadly categorised as a left-wing party, but around five years ago had a pretty sudden break into centrism, at the time where disillusionment has taken hold with all the other centrist parties in Germany.

I suspect they would seek a liberal third way governing coalition with the SPD before going in with Die Linke and a shift back towards something truly left-wing, but they may be reliant on both.

They historically are more left wing than they are and would be more broadly categorised as a left-wing party, but around five years ago had a pretty sudden break into centrism, at the time where disillusionment has taken hold with all the other centrist parties in Germany.

I suspect they would seek a liberal third way governing coalition with the SPD before going in with Die Linke and a shift back towards something truly left-wing, but they may be reliant on both.

Cheers, the more I read about the history of the parties the more interested I become, I hadn't really kept up with German politics much with Mutti dominating for so long.

It's going to be fascinating to see how the coalitions play out this election. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back