Opinion Get Clarko to The Hangar - 5 year deal done says Heppellfreak (post #334) - now with poll

Clarkson? (Choose all that apply)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

What is the role of a coaching director?

What is Mahoney's role?

What does the senior coach actually do?

We have a list boss.

There is no central coordinating figure in the footy department with authority.

This administrative set up, common as it is, is ridiculous.

I would love to know how these guys run down the clock in a day. Take the coach out of it, I guess there is about 8 hours of work a week between 3 or 4 roles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is Mahoney's role?

We have a list boss.

I would love to know how these guys run down the clock in a day. Take the coach out of it, I guess there is about 8 hours of work a week between 3 or 4 roles.
I’m sure people asked the same questions when the coaching role was separated from a playing coach, and then when that coach got assistants, and they added a fitness department and a boot studder and trainers and orange cutters and so on.

Here’s a job description for a similar role at Port Adelaide, dated 2013:

Here’s another roughly described role with a similar title for Sheedy at GWS:

Job description from soccer and discussion of the relationship between this sort of role and other roles within club heirarchies:

Similar thing for basketball:

I suspect that this isn’t just for the AFL coaching, a role like that would also look after the VFL coaches and the AFLW and VFLW coaches, organising their professional development, focusing on ensuring the team is functional and effective, redeploying staff from one program to another and such. Some descriptions also have them chairing list management and team selection meetings.

What is Mahoney's role?

We have a list boss.

We've got a general manager of recruiting and a national recruiting manager.

Bloat our soft cap with more positions. That way the board has people on hand to blame and the people to blame can claim the problem is sideways to their area of operation.

So... we bring in a coach on training wheels... to coach a team on training wheels... and we even give him a whole year before it to settle in,

And going into the 4th year post-settling in, we just now realise it? We just now have to put more training wheels on him?

Oh dear.

Watch us most likely come back here on August 9, 2023, staring back at the same predicament, wondering what the hell we were thinking...

I hope for our sake it doesn't happen... but the signs ain't filling me with confidence.

Strap yaselves in, folks.
We’ve had a director of coaching the whole time up until April when Matt Little left (a long planned departure for family reasons). It seems to be a fairly common role across professional sport generally and it’s weird actually that it’s been left vacant for so long, though possibly related to soft cap reasons or the review, and potentially investing some of that cash into another part of the program in the mean time. It’s supposed to be like a head of coaching or head of coaching development, just a different title.

I really don’t understand this idea that permeates that a coach should be able to do everything by himself, oversee all the other coaches, plan all the PD and training trips, setting goals, KPIs and organising courses for the entire coaching group, oversee the fitness and medical staff, make the game plan, do the team selection, sit on list committees, report to the directors every 8.5 seconds, and then interviews, press conferences, schmoozing the coteries, sponsors, functions, and do it all without punching holes in the plaster, grimacing, smiling, not grimacing or smiling, breathing weird, and apparently without support?

Oh and I forgot the part where they actually train the players, setting goals for player development, running programs and camps and whatever and motivating them as well :$ probably important

Oh and liaising with the VFL team and making sure everyone is on the same page about game plan

And presumably eating and sleeping and driving his red tractor 🚜

I really don’t understand this idea that permeates that a coach should be able to do everything by himself

Then come with that same energy from the start, not bloody 4 years later.

What the hell was 2020 for then? This is something we should have been ironing then, not now.

To do it now just reeks of a winging it mantra, giving NFI, which doesn't exactly exude confidence for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back