Opinion Get Clarko to The Hangar - 5 year deal done says Heppellfreak (post #334) - now with poll

Clarkson? (Choose all that apply)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was coaching an expansion club. And system based football existed at that time. The fact his team was shite isn’t relevant

Sheedy was cooked when he finished up with us, let alone almost a decade later, modern football is clearly beyond his time.

Was undoubtedly a great and innovative coach in his prime, but modern football system based gameplay is a long way removed from that.

Sheedy was cooked when he finished up with us, let alone almost a decade later, modern football is clearly beyond his time.

Was undoubtedly a great and innovative coach in his prime, but modern football system based gameplay is a long way removed from that.
What are your thoughts on Mark Williams, then?

I'm a big Sheedy fan, but he was very critical of "that basketball crap" in his latter years at the bombers.

What are your thoughts on Mark Williams, then?

I'm a big Sheedy fan, but he was very critical of "that basketball crap" in his latter years at the bombers.

Williams’ work in the VFL was really strong before he went to Melbourne, so there’s a possibility he could be a decent head coach still.

I think the role he’s playing at Melbourne is a better one for him though, seems to be very good at helping sell the message Goodwin is selling, a major part of Melbourne suddenly getting it last season.

More and more I think we’ll see coaching look more like the NFL where you’ve got line coaches doing the bulk of the work under a head coach.

His football the last few years was absolutely dire.....

Also, how many examples are there of a champion coach moving to another club and actually succeeding? Malthouse to Carlton springs to mind....

His football the last few years was absolutely dire.....

Also, how many examples are there of a champion coach moving to another club and actually succeeding? Malthouse to Carlton springs to mind....
Because he had a list that needed a rebuild. Malthouse was at his 4th club when he went to Carlton. Malthouse to collingwood is a better comparison.

I just looked this up this morning for other posts - Malthouse to Collingwood, Matthews to Brisbane are about it this millennium (if the metric is premierships). Otherwise there's a couple more (Eade got some good years out of the Dogs, Roos turned around Melbourne to a degree) but there's a lot lot more flameouts.

I just looked this up this morning for other posts - Malthouse to Collingwood, Matthews to Brisbane are about it this millennium (if the metric is premierships). Otherwise there's a couple more (Eade got some good years out of the Dogs, Roos turned around Melbourne to a degree) but there's a lot lot more flameouts.
There's a lot more flameouts in coaching generally anyway, though. 17 losers every season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a lot more flameouts in coaching generally anyway, though. 17 losers every season.
Definitely. Statistically though, it looks like succession plans are #1 (not generally an option and misleading because they're often already successful clubs), highly rated assistants are #2 (more of them but also more likely to succeed), retreads are #3 (fewer, but rare for them to break through at later clubs), interim coaches are #4 (Roos about the only successful example), and #5 is "other" where someone's parachuted in from outside the coaching hierarchy (Voss, Hird, Noble, Fagan).

I thought Caracella has never wanted the senior coaching position, happy being senior assistant
Said earlier in the year that has changed

One thing is for certain. It's never too late if we race to the airport to meet Clarko in a dramatic 90's romcom ending.

So Essendon atm, I feel like Rutten will be sacked without having a proper crack at Clarkson. I.e too late.

I'd rather stick with Rutten for now if not Clarkson

According to Neil Mitchell, Daniel Giansiracusa will coach this weekend.

I keep hear how dire Clarkson was in last few years. Can we compare last 3 years of clarkson Hawks vs ess win/loss. Clarkson had just achieved a dynasty and on the down whilst ess supposedly on the up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back