Analysis Get Rid of Medical and Fitness Staff

Remove this Banner Ad

The discussion kind of goes: "I'm frustrated with our injuries, I know nothing about injury management, so I'll just demand we sack everyone to ease my frustrations"

I know that’s the narrative BJ, brought on by extreme frustration, and it’s hard not to get caught up in it.

When I get p’d off with the club about something - which is frequent - I have to remind myself that there are paid professionals in charge, who know much more than I do. And that the club keeps a lot of the internal goings on under wraps.

But it’s hard to maintain the faith when we can’t get our best players on the park. So frustrating to see absolute champions sitting on the sidelines. And one due to stupidity!

I know that’s the narrative BJ, brought on by extreme frustration, and it’s hard not to get caught up in it.

When I get p’d off with the club about something - which is frequent - I have to remind myself that there are paid professionals in charge, who know much more than I do. And that the club keeps a lot of the internal goings on under wraps.

But it’s hard to maintain the faith when we can’t get our best players on the park. So frustrating to see absolute champions sitting on the sidelines. And one due to stupidity!
All so true

As each injury-riddled season passes, the pressure mounts. This season - arguably - the injuries have killed our hopes of contending.

Surely this time we will move heaven and earth to fix the problem, or put measures in place that at least start to fix the problem.

On the transparency issue, frustrating though it is, this might currently be due to the season still being in the balance. Not wanting to rock the internal boat, put individuals off the programme, etc.

But at seasons’s end - this issue should be the club’s no 1 priority.

Does it though? I don’t really see 2019 as any worse than each of the previous years. I think time clouds our judgement, for instance no one was complaining in the first 8 weeks of the season when we had only Dunn on the sidelines from our best mix. The trend is bad though so something needs to change on a grand scale. The club have the data so it’s time they act, IMO.

The problem I have is that he’s acknowledging that fact in a public forum yet no action is being taken. We’ll review practices, make changes to playing personal and shift a few deckchairs on the Titanic, but I very much doubt we’re overly invested in fixing the issues because it doesn’t seem to attract the attention it deserves. Or at least that’s how it appears externally because of the lack of transparency.

It's an area that I think should be continuously reviewed and seeking improved practice and I'd be more disappointed if the club wasn't actually doing that. Do we know what the club does in this area?

There must be some way of calculating our average number of games missed through soft-tissue, structural and other injuries over say the past three years and comparing that to other teams' averages. Would be fascinating to see if our general perception of having the worst record in the league (which is my own personal view) matches the reality.

Other interesting metrics to compare with other clubs would be the average number of games missed per hamstring/calf injury suffered. Again my perception is that our players take longer than most to return from such injuries. Re-injury rates versus league averages would also be interesting. Again, I feel that we have one of the highest re-injury rates.

Do Champion Data (or others) keep those stats?

Does it though? I don’t really see 2019 as any worse than each of the previous years. I think time clouds our judgement, for instance no one was complaining in the first 8 weeks of the season when we had only Dunn on the sidelines from our best mix. The trend is bad though so something needs to change on a grand scale. The club have the data so it’s time they act, IMO.

Pray tell what is the data?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pray tell what is the data?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rehab timeframes, training footage, penetrometre readings, GPS, nutrition, recurrence rates, muscle measurements, bloods etc. if the club are operating properly, which you have to assume they are, that’s a small sample of the data they would have.

It’s how they interpret and action insights from it that could be up in the air. No absolute statements from me though aside from them having it and their actions with it appearing subpar over a long period of time.

Data analytics is growing in recruitment and in game so why not take it into the field of prehab and rehab?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The discussion kind of goes: "I'm frustrated with our injuries, I know nothing about injury management, so I'll just demand we sack everyone to ease my frustrations"
Perhaps you have blocked the wrong posters and are condemned to read only the few posts demanding the culling of all medical and fitness staff. The discussion I have followed is much more circumspect and rational and emanates from a genuine concern about our relentless procession of injuries. Seems a legitimate topic to discuss in depth if you are remotely concerned about so many players sidelined for most of the year with injuries that should only keep them out of the game for a few weeks.

In one way blaming injuries on medical staff is akin to blaming doctors for getting the flu.

Rehab, prehab, strength and conditioning, as well as external factors e.g. ground hardness is where I'd be focusing the review.

Once soft tissue injury occurs I'd imagine that treatment protocols are largely standard. It's the exercise physiologists and s&c personnel that would be managing rehab and recurrence prevention (in conjunction with physio/osteo/myo etc). This is where I would think each club would have their own approach.

I wish this was as simple as "sack the doctor", but I suspect that it is much more complex than that. Regardless of the scope of the issue the club needs to get much better in this area, and that means first understanding what needs to be fixed.

Perhaps you have blocked the wrong posters and are condemned to read only the few posts demanding the culling of all medical and fitness staff. The discussion I have followed is much more circumspect and rational and emanates from a genuine concern about our relentless procession of injuries. Seems a legitimate topic to discuss in depth if you are remotely concerned about so many players sidelined for most of the year with injuries that should only keep them out of the game for a few weeks.
No place for rationale concern & resulting discussion here.

Didn't you know everything is always awesome?

No place for rationale concern & resulting discussion here.

Didn't you know everything is always awesome?
To be fair, it often goes beyond "rational concern" here. Calling for people to lose their jobs isn't really rational concern, nor is having comments devolve into a pathetic stream of profanities, and nor is making the same comments in multiple different threads.

To be fair, it often goes beyond "rational concern" here. Calling for people to lose their jobs isn't really rational concern, nor is having comments devolve into a pathetic stream of profanities, and nor is making the same comments in multiple different threads.
Poor performers are moved on, thats life. A profanity isn't something to get upset over & as for making the same comments over and over again. People the board over, including yourself, do that. Its a public forum of discussion.

Poor performers are moved on, thats life. A profanity isn't something to get upset over & as for making the same comments over and over again. People the board over, including yourself, do that. Its a public forum of discussion.
Perhaps the issue could be solved, then, by merging every thread/comment that circlejerks over injuries and the medical staff into one thread, under the one umbrella?

Smooth by you as well Adz.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back