Analysis Get Rid of Medical and Fitness Staff

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not luck.

Are there not biblical references to 7 years of famine?
I posted a rant in the other thread on this. Wish I had seen this thread first.

Short version:

1. This is incompetent. Their sole job is to field a fit team capable of withstanding the rigours of AFL football.

2. Members are paying to watch elite sport not the VFL (that is free). Maybe the club can refund half our fees based on the proportion of AFL ready players available .

3. Members should be afforded the respect of greater transparency of recovery timelines (“TBC”after weeks have passed is at best lazy and unaccountable)

4. Those in charge of the CFC business (Board and management) are failing to deliver the product promised. This will impact profitability through less membership sales, lower attendances etc.

5. An independent review is urgently needed to understand why young players are also getting injured early on impacting the opportunity to develop youth if injury strikes senior players.

6. Player recruitment and retention is at risk.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We need to look into what’s happening and make the adjustments needed going forward

What over inflates these numbers is that we are retaining injured players with a history or injuries for far far too long.

And it will happen again due to the whole “you can’t turn over too many at a time” bullshit

Draft some young talent

Look to free agency for players who are durable and address list needs (they don’t cost players in a trade sense)

Trade if can be arranged but a lot of these blokes stocks have never been lower.

Cut the deadwood.

Didn’t we have a fitness and medical staff clear out a year or two ago?

Not sure sacking them is a solution, takes years of info on each player to know their injury tendencies, their fitness levels, running style, etc. we sack them and the next staff have to go through that whole process again.

The damage is done, guys like Moore, Reid, Schaz and Elliott have irreparable body parts. Whether it’s been mismanagement from fitness staff or their bodies just can’t handle it.

Surely there's going to be another full blown review done on the entire fitness program and injury management processes as well as all the personnel in these critical areas at seasons end?Totally unacceptable with what's going on with our injury rates. Yes all clubs get injuries but why are ours so great in numbers and repetitive since 2014/15?

The problem though is that by the time a review is conducted after the season is over, all of the best medical, fitness, conditioning and rehab talent will already be locked down at other clubs. We’ll be left with B-graders to choose from. A review should commence NOW, rather than at season’s end.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The problem though is that by the time a review is conducted after the season is over, all of the best medical, fitness, conditioning and rehab talent will already be locked down at other clubs. We’ll be left with B-graders to choose from. A review should commence NOW, rather than at season’s end.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Absolutely support one now.

What do you mean by ‘sub base’? The oval is largely on the site of the old Olympic Park athletics track and field ground. It was built for the Olympic Games in 1956. I’m sure the club ripped up, relaid and realigned the surface, but would that get down to the sub base? I’m not actually sure what is meant by that.

I’ve posted on this before, but later this afternoon I will do some research about what was there before 1956 (a cycling track/velodrome I think). But we are getting back into the mists of time here, and I’m not sure it will help.
I think it’s an incorrect use of the term and means sub grade, either way I’m not too sure the significance.

Sub base is the layer of drainage materials under the top layer.

We were 10-3 but you were seeing issues? What were they that loss of personal exposed?
No run from the backline, inconsistent midfield and forwards struggling to get into the game.

Edit: the old OP buildings were not pulled down until the early 2010s.

If any of you have access to Nearmap, check out the aerial images from 2012 to 2013. I've just looked, and yep the club tore into the playing surface and completely rebuilt it. Interesting images from that time.

If there were buildings there previously there would have been demo and earthworks to return it to an oval. I'm assuming there was a lot of machinery about for that which would result in compaction. I'd love to understand the work and engineering that went into returning it to an oval. Were there design plans, engineering sign off, geochem/geotech works etc. involved to ensure it was suitable? Maybe excessive for works like that but potentially important too. I'm probably over thinking it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there were buildings there previously there would have been demo and earthworks to return it to an oval. I'm assuming there was a lot of machinery about for that which would result in compaction. I'd love to understand the work and engineering that went into returning it to an oval. Were there design plans, engineering sign off, geochem/geotech works etc. involved to ensure it was suitable? Maybe excessive for works like that but potentially important too. I'm probably over thinking it.

I’ve checked the aerials from 2012 and 2013 and there was plenty of demolition, earthworks, grading, regrading, etc etc. Its all there in the photos. I can’t post them because of issues with copyright. Do you have access to nearmap?

Last edited:
That may be so but White has approached the role a lot differently. White focusses on ball work based fitness. Davoren seemed to focus on clocking up miles on the running track. I like Whites approach much better.
Well that's probably why we've got so many leg soft-tissue injuries, everyone's legs are shot from miles and miles of running on basically 50cm of turf on top of a big fat slab of concrete, with one of the stabilising pylons for the burnley tunnel not too far beneath their feet either. All that kinetic energy from the constant vibrations has to go somewhere it doesnt just disappear, it goes straight up and spreads out through whatever happens to be on top or next to it everyone's shock absorbers are overworked and worn out from the constant stress on them and thus injuries are sustained.

How about we do a little bit more gym-based fitness ie. a far more intensive weights and resistance conditioning program. Its clear, simply from basically looking at our players compared to some other teams, we dont do as much of that as other clubs were like skinny little dandelions up against tree trunks for the most part (bar a couple of solid units like de goey etc). Resistance and strength training would obviously help with the injuries too, or at the very least might help actually get our tackles to stick 😒

Last edited:
I’ve checked the aerials from 2012 and 2013 and there was plenty of demolition, earthworks, grading, regrading, etc etc. Its all there in the photos. I can’t post them because of issues with copyright. Do you have access to nearmap?

Not nearmap but other mapping tools. I'll check it out.

YOU COULD ALSO SAY 'TREACLE SLOW BALL MOVEMENT, WINNING GAMES WHEN WE WERE PROBABLY NOT THE BETTER SIDE ON THE DAY EG ESSENDON , CARLTON GAMES. LETS FACE IT, THE UMPIRES HAVE GIVEN US A GOLDEN RUN THIS YEAR AND POSSIBLY GOT US OVER THE LINE IN A FEW GAMES, PARTICULARLY THE ESSENDON GAME. POOR CENTRE SQUARE CLEARANCES BOTH IN NUMBER AND QUALITY HAVE BEEN A BIG ISSUE ALL YEAR AS WELL.

OVERALL WE HAVE NOT PLAYED MANY 4 QUARTER SOLID GAMES FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR. LACK OF TEAM COHESION HAS BEEN THERE ALL YEAR. ONLY THE ROSE COLOURED GLASSES SUPPORTERS WOULD HAVE BEEN HAPPY WITH OUR FORM WHEN WE WERE 10-3.
COULD NO SPIN EDUCATE US AGAIN OF HOW FAR IN FRONT OF GEELONG WE ARE?

Not nearmap but other mapping tools. I'll check it out.
There's a few photos of the ground being re-surfaced on the 'pies site

And this one behind a news corp paywall
861da3228e0bf011717dfb512b82fbcd

I reckon there’s gotta be something to this , I’m surprised one of the journos haven’t run with it yet.

Probably because it’s easier to just bash Collingwood
The entire Olympic Park Oval sits on top of a massively huge concrete tank that practically is the diameter of the entire oval that is one of the storages for the stormwater harvesting system that collects, treats then supplies all the water for the whole sports precinct and stadiums...I know because my dad was the one who designed and built it. And theres only half a metre of topsoil between the turf and the top of it. Which isnt much padding really. Like i said earlier its basically like training full time at Etihad, actually they have 1 metre of soil between the concrete slab of the roof of the carpark and the turf, so bit softer than our olympic oval 😂

Its no surprise to the club they received all the geotechnical reports when the ground was redeveloped and another engineering report that was done on the ground only a couple of years ago?

If anyones interested in some light bedtime reading heres a 6 year old now but gives a comprehensive overview of the system and also the site conditions and geotechnical problems they had during construction because of where it is...may help shed some light on why we constantly keep getting soft tissue injuries the ground is literally hard as rock. Basalt actually

YOU COULD ALSO SAY 'TREACLE SLOW BALL MOVEMENT, WINNING GAMES WHEN WE WERE PROBABLY NOT THE BETTER SIDE ON THE DAY EG ESSENDON , CARLTON GAMES. LETS FACE IT, THE UMPIRES HAVE GIVEN US A GOLDEN RUN THIS YEAR AND POSSIBLY GOT US OVER THE LINE IN A FEW GAMES, PARTICULARLY THE ESSENDON GAME. POOR CENTRE SQUARE CLEARANCES BOTH IN NUMBER AND QUALITY HAVE BEEN A BIG ISSUE ALL YEAR AS WELL.

OVERALL WE HAVE NOT PLAYED MANY 4 QUARTER SOLID GAMES FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR. LACK OF TEAM COHESION HAS BEEN THERE ALL YEAR. ONLY THE ROSE COLOURED GLASSES SUPPORTERS WOULD HAVE BEEN HAPPY WITH OUR FORM WHEN WE WERE 10-3.

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING???

First only a fool shouts by using capital letters - so when you calm down I’m happy to respond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back