Analysis Get Rid of Medical and Fitness Staff

peter9789

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
SORRY, I AM NOT SHOUTING.
I HATE TYPING WITH A PASSION, IN MY JOB I HAVE TO PERFORM IT ALL DAY LONG. ON HOLIDAYS ATM IN GERMANY, BUT IT IS SO MUCH EASIER TO TYPE CAPITAL LETTERS THAN LOWER CASE.
MY APOLOGIES IF THIS OFFENDS ANYONE. CERTAINLY NOT INTENDED AND I AM SURPRISED PEOPLE OBJECT TO THAT POST, BECAUSE OF THE TYPING.

BTW -YOU ARE NOT THE FIRST TO WONDER ABOUT MY CHOICE OF TYPING. IAM CERTAINLY NOT SHOUTING THOUGH.

This is too funny ..... one of the more amusing anecdotes

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
No we don't. I wish identifying the injury problems were that simple. Our problems I suspect are a portion of 3 or 4 different issues & we need to tackle all of them. Perhaps the training facilities are part of the problem. But I doubt it. The likes of Crisp, Pendles, Maynard etc train on the same ground without any soft tissue issues. A hard surface may explain knee & ankle & perhaps foot issues. Not sure it's going to cause soft tissue injuries & they are the ones we need to get on top of more than anything else. They are decimating the team year in year out. Things must change.
Yep

A review is surely needed and no doubt one will be done
But it has to be evidence based (as you infer) and done by properly qualified people
I suspect there will be no easy or quick fix

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
I really really hope the club is genuinely looking into it, because I feel like over the last 6 years the club has most certainly been paying lip service when discussions around looking into our fitness and injury issues comes up.

Sometimes it really does feel like we’re just an amateur suburban club with professional resources.

It’s kinda sad and frustrating.

Chameleon75

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nah, then it will be slippery and we’d fall over.

We could try the Optus Stadium ‘anti-dew’ spray, that worked a treat when we played WC. I think we only got two injuries from that game. Good outcome by our standards.

Sorry to be flippant but it’s a coping mechanism.

It might be flippant but you reminded me of marvel stadium when that first opened it was blamed for injuries on the basis of the surface being too soft and shifting underfoot. They got a new turf contractor and it was blamed for injuries for being too firm. When comparing injury rates with the mcg, marvels on par, slightly lower actually.

As humans we don’t handle uncertainty well, we have a need to blame someone or something.

It might be flippant but you reminded me of marvel stadium when that first opened it was blamed for injuries on the basis of the surface being too soft and shifting underfoot. They got a new turf contractor and it was blamed for injuries for being too firm. When comparing injury rates with the mcg, marvels on par, slightly lower actually.

As humans we don’t handle uncertainty well, we have a need to blame someone or something.

You raise the issue of training venue versus playing venue. The teams based at Marvel only play games there of course, and not training. I believe WC and Freo (?) have refused to train at the new Optus Oval. For the same reasons we are discussing - or more fan mythology - not sure.

FrakturedHalo

The Voice of Reason
May 6, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
AS IT BOTHERS SO MANY OTHER POSTERS AS WELL, IT IS PROBABLY BETTER I DON'T POST AT ALL.

AND I AM STILL NOT ANGRY OR SHOUTING. HAVING A WONDERFUL 12 WEEK TRIP AROUND EUROPE AND AM VERY HAPPY. DESPITE THE PIES. LEARNT MANY MOONS AGO TO HAVE NO EXPECTATIONS OF THE PIES, THEN YOU DON'T BECOME UNHAPPY WHEN WE LOSE. WE ARE NOT A SMART CLUB LIKE GEELONG OR HAWTHORN.
Calm down cowboy, my posts were actually tongue in cheek in more of a teasing tone...but thats good we're making progress. Now you have experienced how in the absence of any other sensory cues ie body language or tone of voice how easy it is for communications to be misconstrued when youre simply reading the words as theyre written?! 😋😚

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
Jamie Elliott is determined to continue his career in black and white stripes despite injury concerns that Nathan Buckley concedes have him playing in “survival mode”.
Collingwood’s continued injury crisis will see the Pies play Gold Coast despite almost half of their players injured and unavailable.

Despite calls for a full blown review the Pies insist there are no issues with their Holden Centre surface and have no plans for a formal investigation over and above end-of-year assessments.

Get Gaffed

Senior List
Aug 11, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Haven't read much of the thread so not sure what the general consensus is but from my knowledge it seems a hard surface is playing a big part. The stress reactions, calf's and hammies injuries are a common cause of a hard surface and also can be a reason injuries/niggles linger or take too long to recover from. Not dissimilar to what a number of freo players are dealing with, most notably Hill and Hogan. These players that are effected should do their first stages of recovery/Rehab at softer venue such as a VFL/local ground until they can build their loads up sufficiently and effectively.

Jamie Elliott is determined to continue his career in black and white stripes despite injury concerns that Nathan Buckley concedes have him playing in “survival mode”.
Collingwood’s continued injury crisis will see the Pies play Gold Coast despite almost half of their players injured and unavailable.

Despite calls for a full blown review the Pies insist there are no issues with their Holden Centre surface and have no plans for a formal investigation over and above end-of-year assessments.

Didn't we just do that a Few Seasons Ago?

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have we lit the pyre yet? I have leftover kerosene and white phosphor rounds from the last anti-pony sweep if needed. And sparkling burgundy for celebratory toasts afterwards.

I'm convinced it's the Holden Centre ground.

Someone should ask smug Eddie again about injuries at the AGM, no doubt he just uses the same impact injury line as last time

I reckon there’s gotta be something to this , I’m surprised one of the journos haven’t run with it yet.

Probably because it’s easier to just bash Collingwood
I find it hard to believe some of them say we cant use injuries as the cause of our form slump anymore when half of our list is out.

Thefly38

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal , LA Clippers , Seattle SH
I find it hard to believe some of them say we cant use injuries as the cause of our form slump anymore when half of our list is out.

How many goals do we beat Richmond by with the same amount of injuries ?

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have we lit the pyre yet? I have leftover kerosene and white phosphor rounds from the last anti-pony sweep if needed. And sparkling burgundy for celebratory toasts afterwards.

Mmmmmmm! Fizzy red!

peter9789

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

He may well be determined but if his injuries continue the club needs to make a tough call and move him on.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Imagine working for this department and pitching for your EOY bonus.:

Would you like some sparkling burgundy?

Back