• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I have said this on many of these threads. Free agency should go down to 6 years, maybe 5 years instead of 8. You get an 18-19 year old. They serve 6 years. They leave to another club at 24/25 years old on a big 6 year deal to get a flag in their prime... They go to another club after serving 6 years and to a 3rd club at 30-31 years old to try and get another shot at the flag.

You don't get to choose which club you want at age 18-19, but I think you should get to choose your destiny to either stay at your original club or move to a better club for money, flag or both

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know it sux if you're a struggling club and stuff like this makes it even harder to see the light but some perennial cellar dwellers are starting to move up the ladder and some well performed clubs from the past are taking their place so really for all the supposed inequities in the draft doesn't that suggest the system is pretty much working ?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
550 to 600k for 4 or 5 years is whats being thrown around by people that are "supposedly" in the know.
If thats band 1 and ends up being pick 2 the whole system should be thrown out
If Adelaide went through the season winless i think that would be enough for band 1. Now they have won a few games that might drop into the 2nd band. The AFL use the formula to manipulate the results they want

It should be scrapped. Salary cap floor should be lowered for clubs to be able to really target players as well but the AFLPA will never allow it.

VictorianCrow85

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I even agree that Lachie Weller wasn't worth pick 2.

The only reason Lachie Weller was traded for pick 2 was because Freo took a risk and played hard ball and he was contracted.

Saying that, the rumour was that the original trade for Lachie Weller was suns hand picks 2 and 21 for Freo and Freo trade Lachie Weller and pick 5 to the suns. Would of meant that Weller was worth pick 18. Sounds fair as Weller was taken at pick 14 in the 2014 draft.
I don't think Weller is total s**t I certainly wasn't implying that and in some respects I get why Gold Coast did the deal. When you're constantly bleeding players & finally a young talent wants to come to you surely you just get the deal done which they did. Of course to every other club looking at Freo you made out like bandits on the trade. In the end however the trade is conducted between 2 clubs, not on the basis of its fair for every other club.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I don't think Weller is total sh*t I certainly wasn't implying that and in some respects I get why Gold Coast did the deal. When you're constantly bleeding players & finally a young talent wants to come to you surely you just get the deal done which they did. Of course to every other club looking at Freo you made out like bandits on the trade. In the end however the trade is conducted between 2 clubs, not on the basis of its fair for every other club.
another main reason was Lachie Weller actually wanted to join the suns.

He was born in Tassie but spent he teenage years at Queensland so technically he is in his home state.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
If Adelaide went through the season winless i think that would be enough for band 1. Now they have won a few games that might drop into the 2nd band. The AFL use the formula to manipulate the results they want

It should be scrapped. Salary cap floor should be lowered for clubs to be able to really target players as well but the AFLPA will never allow it.
Hasn't the ability to bank salary cap for future seasons effectively lowered the floor? Especially given how much clubs front load players. I don't think that's a huge issue. Lowering it actually incentivises teams to tank more which is a concern. Reigning in the good teams would be my focus more than allowing the bad teams to go backwards further to go forwards. That way you get more unpredictability in ladder positions between seasons which is something I'd love to see more.

Port and Hawthorn are really the only teams to have performed drastically different to expectations this year. That's way too predictable.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Hasn't the ability to bank salary cap for future seasons effectively lowered the floor? Especially given how much clubs front load players. I don't think that's a huge issue. Lowering it actually incentivises teams to tank more which is a concern. Reigning in the good teams would be my focus more than allowing the bad teams to go backwards further to go forwards. That way you get more unpredictability in ladder positions between seasons which is something I'd love to see more.

Port and Hawthorn are really the only teams to have performed drastically different to expectations this year. That's way too predictable.
Its only 5% they can bank which is 1 half decent player. Make that 15% and you can have clubs throwing some big contracts at players.
Imagine someone like North who have been mocked for targeting players but not being able to land them. It may have been different if they could have had an extra $1m in the cap they could have thrown at players

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Its only 5% they can bank which is 1 half decent player. Make that 15% and you can have clubs throwing some big contracts at players.
Imagine someone like North who have been mocked for targeting players but not being able to land them. It may have been different if they could have had an extra $1m in the cap they could have thrown at players
Maybe, but if Brown, Cunnington, Ziebell, Goldstein, Higgins are all front loaded by 200k that's your 1 million. Add in the 5% and that's over 1.5. And that includes paying 500k for the one half decent player to get to the floor as is.

Allowing them to add another 500-1m on to that and suddenly they've banked up a massive amount. If Dusty then says no and they can't scramble for a plan B they're getting very shallow on talent.

Plus the other unintended consequence - Dusty says yet to stupid money. Say 1.5 a year. Danger then gets 1.3, assuming he can't settle for 800k and fishing. So does Lachie Neale and so on. Then Matty Rowell gets 1m from the Suns on his next contract. Eventually the amount of money for the middle class of players evaporates. Competitive balance then starts to erode when the league becomes stars and scrubs.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
When compo occurs, every other club not involved is disadvantaged by being pushed down the draft order. So in any given year multiple clubs not involved in FA could have their first pick pushed down multiple spots, how is that for their fair rebuild?

Scrapping FA compo should be a given, and solves more problems than not having compo creates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Need to keep the compo system as can you imagine how bad Gold Coast would be now without it? The compo system is in place so if a team suffers an exodus they are at least getting some draft picks back in order to rebuild.

I do agree though that the system needs fine-tuning as there is no way any club would pay pick 2 for Brad Crouch on the open market.
It shouldn't be linked to your position - or not the way it is right now. There isn't enough room for movement. A few extra dollars can make a pick move up an entire round. The premier can't receive a compensation pick between 19 and 36, while the wooden spooner cant get one between pick 2 and pick 19. Why shouldn't a team be able to get pick 10 or pick 30 if thats what the player is truly worth?

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues
Compo is fine but:
- publish the formula so public can assess how it works
- remove tieing each band to finishing position (e.g band 1 = mid first round (e.g pick before all finalists), band 2 = end of 1st round, band 3 = mid 2nd round, etc etc)
- remove the discount for academy bid players. Allow academies to exist, and give clubs priority access - but not at a discounted rate....match the bid one for one with points
- make every draft pick have a points value

Jan 31, 2007
In N Out
AFL Club
Carlton
I like clubs receiving compensation, aside from the fact every other team pays for one team to get a player by dropping down a spot in the draft.

So if we get rid of the compo system on the basis that free cap space is meant to be the compo for losing a player, then that cap space needs to be able to be realised; to do this I suggest allowing clubs losing players to have the anticipated payment of a player lost to FA included in their minimum cap and bank that extra cap space over multiple years so they can launch several attempts at replacing lost players over a number of years, rather than having to front load or spread payments around to players who don't deserve it in order to meet minimums.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
My proposal:

Compo is linked with how the initial club values what they are losing, thus should be based on what they offer, not what the new club is offering.

Compo picks should be linked with the total value of the contract and visible to everyone.

e.g.
$2500=1 draft point (this can be massaged)

Crows offer Crouch 4 years at $800k/year = $3.2m = 1,280 points = pick 12
GWS offer Cameron 6 years at $900k/year = $5.4m = 2,160 points = pick 4
Crows offer Atkins 12 years at $250k/year = $500k = 200 points = pick 56

Much more reflective of value than what we are seeing ATM IMO where we see Adelaide potentially getting pick 21 for a guy they would delist (Atkins).

Note: only starts next year thanks :cool:

Oct 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
The whole free agent system needs an overhaul. You should be a free agent when you're out of contract. No compo should be given. RFA should remain

Defacto free agency already exists outside of the defined system anyway.

Any player can refuse a contract from their current club (whether they match the offer or not)and walk to the draft where they can set a price on their head and usually end up their club of choice anyway (because who wants to pick someone that doesn't want to be there).

Our entire trade system relies on clubs being "nice" and trying uphold good relations with other clubs.
However examples like Martin walking to Carlton in the last trade period show how fraught this idea is.

I don't think compensation should be done away with, however think it must start to come from the recruiting club, rather than all the clubs not involved all paying the price due to creation of a draft pick out of thin air.

In a scenario where compensation comes from the recruiting club, players would still be ranked in bands based on contract size, and the club would have to transfer 1st/2nd/3rd etc round pick (or a combination of) based on this value, with a weighting for players that go to top 4 clubs and a discount for clubs in the bottom 4.

I don't think compensation should be done away with, however think it must start to come from the recruiting club, rather than all the clubs not involved all paying the price due to creation of a draft pick out of thin air.

In a scenario where compensation comes from the recruiting club, players would still be ranked in bands based on contract size, and the club would have to transfer 1st/2nd/3rd etc round pick (or a combination of) based on this value, with a weighting for players that go to top 4 clubs and a discount for clubs in the bottom 4.
Then it just becomes a trade and means the FA system is pointless

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Just get rid of it entirely.

If you lose a player, you lose a player. Use the free list spot and cap space on someone else, and try again.

Too many "soft landings" and "equalization measures" are orchestrated by the AFL, in the name of "fairness". There needs to be more consequences for club's management or mismanagement of their lists.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Just get rid of it entirely.

If you lose a player, you lose a player. Use the free list spot and cap space on someone else, and try again.

Too many "soft landings" and "equalization measures" are orchestrated by the AFL, in the name of "fairness". There needs to be more consequences for club's management or mismanagement of their lists.
I disagree with this.

Imagine if Freo lost Fyfe and Walters through free agency and get no compo pick. we go from finals contenders to bottom 4.

Back