Get Stronger in 40 Days

Remove this Banner Ad

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
OK so in a post yesterday I thin it was Evo who brought up "greasing the groove"

For the uninitiated GTG is performing a lift repetitively to ingrain it into the nervous system thus increasing neural drive and thus increasing strength.

I just came off a program using the same principle where I gained 15.5kgs on my back squat and 9kgs on my bench press in 40 days.

Granted some of those gains were "reinflation" gains from lost strength from footy season but the program I did was focused on speed - squats were a distant 2nd goal and bench not a focus at all, just something to do for upper body with some chins/rows thrown in.

So what I will offer up to the bigfooty health and fitness community is the chance for you to experience these gains for yourself.

It's 63 days til Christams so starting next Monday the 28th October you can embark on a 40 day challenge to blow your previous personal best out of the water.

This won't be a generic program, it will be somewhat tailored to suit you so you'll need to answer these questions first:

1 - Goal Lift (choose only 1)
2 - Current Personal Best
3 - Personal Best Ever Lifted (actual not projected)
4 - Days you train (hopefully at least 3/week but the more the merrier)
5 - How have you trained the goal lift in the last training cycle you've completed?

Now obviously I usually get paid for this but I'll do this pro-bono and I'll also need time to program everything so the sooner you get in the better.

What have you got to lose?

moved from other thread:
i wouldn't even go as high as 8...75% id about a 10rm so I'd half of that so 5 reps...if you have the luxury of doing it throughout the day then that would work best but if not you can just train bench pres daily doing the same thing when you go to the gym...the idea is not to cause any fatigue at all and focus on each rep being as fast as possible - no slow/grinding reps!

it will need to be planned out though as different %'s will be done for different reps...
ok cheers. I have a power rack at home and woirk at home so it's easy just to nip out to the garage and bang out a set every few hours. I'm quite liking it actually.

I'll do em explosively as you suggest.

As far as moving the weight or reps up, presumably I wait until my 1RM moves up and adjust my daily bench accordingly?

Ok, I'll give it a go.

1. Goal lift: BB Bench 1rm 115kg
2. Current predicted PB 1RM 105kg
3. Current PB actually lifted 100kg
4. currently train 5 or 6 days a week
5. Bench *4 sets, Incline Bench *3, cable flys * 3, dips*3 as part of a 'push' routine twice a week.

moved from other thread:eek:k cheers. I have a power rack at home and woirk at home so it's easy just to nip out to the garage and bang out a set every few hours. I'm quite liking it actually.

I'll do em explosively as you suggest.

As far as moving the weight or reps up, presumably I wait until my 1RM moves up and adjust my daily bench accordingly?

you'd vary the sets, reps and load each day to rest the nervous system...increasing projected max is a big "depends". it would depend on how the entire program is structured

how do sets of 10 x 1/week get you stronger?
Every time i max out on bench or any exercise i run a cycle of German Volume Training. This emproves my strenght every time.

I do it on a 5 day split all compound exercises 10 reps x 10 sets with 60sec rest.
Day 1 Bench Press & Wide Grip Chin Ups. then 3 super sets of Flys & Barbell Rows 12reps.
Day 2 Military Press,Squates & Straight Leg Dead Lifts. Then 3 super sets of calf raisers & Side Lateral Raisers 12reps.
Day 3 Rest
Day 4 , Standing Barbell Curl & Weighted Dips, Then 3 super sets of Incline Hammer curls & Dumbell Skull crushers 12reps. Then Ab routine.
Day 5 Rest.
Back to Day 1
Follow this for 6 Cycles.

You start with 60% of max 1 rep and you only go up 5% in weight when you can do 10 sets of 10 with no spotter.

First time i did this 120KG 1rm on Bench after completing this went up to 140KG.

Will be due again soon to run a cycle as im doing Bullet Proof and want to really shock the body.

CptKirk, what should I do with the rest of the week prior to the program? Today I hit chest for 3 single lifts to max at 86.4kg, I did 3 sets of 71.5 today, but fatigued too quickly, then smashed out 20 reps at 75% bodyweight, close grip/reverse grip bench, and some close grip lat pulldowns.

Should I ignore my shoulder workout on Friday. I have legs tomorrow which should be fine.

Been away for 3 weeks overseas so good timing to start new program.

1 - Goal Lift (choose only 1) - 80kg BB Bench (100 is my overall goal)
2 - Current Personal Best - 70kg
3 - Personal Best Ever Lifted (actual not projected) 70kg
4 - Days you train (hopefully at least 3/week but the more the merrier) mostly 4 but occasianly 3
5 - How have you trained the goal lift in the last training cycle you've completed? SS Rippertoe3x5

CptKirk, what should I do with the rest of the week prior to the program? Today I hit chest for 3 single lifts to max at 86.4kg, I did 3 sets of 71.5 today, but fatigued too quickly, then smashed out 20 reps at 75% bodyweight, close grip/reverse grip bench, and some close grip lat pulldowns.

Should I ignore my shoulder workout on Friday. I have legs tomorrow which should be fine.

can do a bit of shoulders fri no probs

OK so everyone is doing bench press so here's what I did for 39 days that put my max at 100 x 1 to 100 x 3, maybe 4 - no spotter and didn't set up in the squat rack for some reason

Day 1 - 5 reps x 50%, 4 x 60, 4 x 60, 3 x 70, 3 x 70, 5 x 75, 5 x 75, 5 x 75...pair each set with chin/pull ups varying your grip every 2nd set

Day 2 - 6 x 50, 3 x 60, 3 x 60, 3 x 60, 3 x 60, 4 x 65, 4 x 65, 4 x 65, 4 x 65, 4 x 65, 4 x 65...pair each set with db chest supported rows x 6 - 8 and every week increase by 1 rep..hold each rep x 2secs at the top

Day 3 - 7 x 50, 6 x 55, 5 x 60, 4 x 65, 3 x 70, 3 x 70, 2 x 75, 2 x 75, 2 x 70, 2 x 70, 4 x 65, 6 x 60, 8 x 55, 10 x 50...pair each set with a machine row (seated, single arm cable, band etc)

Each rep of every set set to be maximum acceleration so lower under control and aim to push the bar through the ceiling...if for a set of 6 you feel better and more explosive for sets of 3 then do 2 sets of 3...we have a lot of sets but we also want a lot of high quality sets...rest isn't timed but by the time you do your set of back you should be pretty much ready to go but rest longer if you need to...aim to get "in the zone" with these low rep, explosive sets - don't dilly dally about...the longest day shouldn't take more then 30mins I wouldn't think

once you've covered the first 3 days then add 2.5kgs to each set and repeat...cycle 3 again add 2.5kgs to each set

when you get to cycle 4 then you'll decide whether to increase the weight or not which will depend on how explosive your reps were last week...if they weren't then keep the weight the same...if they had slowed down from the previous week or cycle then stop the program after 3 cycles

everything covered there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cheers cptkirk.

I have a question re the chins/pullups. how many? I can only do maybe 8-10 wide grip pullups, 12-13 chins, 12-13 commando pullups, but after one set, I'm down to 4-5 for each additional set. I think I could comfortably do repeated sets of 5-6 though.

Also is it normal to feel like this starting setup is 'whimpy' do we start off light to push out heaps of sets, then build up?

I'm just calculating the weights and they seem real low, but I think you're pushing the explosiveness of the lift as being important.

chin ups - yeah probably a 6 or 7/10 effort level to start with...if you're doing 8 sets of them then it's better to get 5 each set for a total of 40 then 7, 7, 5, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2 for low 30's...for the sets of 5 on the last set you might have enough in the tank to get another 2 or 3 reps...then start increasing the vol slowly like get 5 more next session etc

most people go to the gym and try and beat their max each week...how many people in the world can beat their best, in anything, each week? no one...usain bolt aims to beat his max time once every 4 years...and even more so, if that's what you've tried to do (which you seem to have) then the body needs a rest from intensity, intenstiy, intensity...all those failed or max sets are for low reps too so now your work capacity has fallen away and your recovery btw sets will be no good thus the quick drop offs from set to set...as well as intensity you also need volume, starting strength is all intensity and no volume which is 1 reason i'm not into it...and the best way to ramp up vol, thus practice, thus nervous system training (that's what makes you strong) is with warm up and back off sets

also to do something reguarly means you can;t do it balls to the wall everytime...i mean if i said i'll give $1 million to whoever can increase their bench press the most in 4 weeks would you:

a - train 1 a week as hard as you can

b - train as often as you can as hard as you can

you'd go option b everytime...this program is closer to b then a and can actually build you up to be able to do option b

except for the 3rd workout of each cycle, you shouldn't even really feel any fatigue and each workout should ramp you up to the last one each week, then take 2 days off, recover and go again w/ the load increase

and yes the explosiveness is all important and actually regulates the program because like i said above if it says to do a set of 6 but you get to 3 and you're explosiveness is falling, then break it into 2 sets of 3

Looks great kirk, keen to get started today. How would you recommend incoprerating other body parts (legs) into this workout for the 39 days? Today will be the start of my pre-preseason so I will probably be hitting the gym 4 times a week for weights and also moderate cardio every second day to get the legs/lungs working. Thanks for your help!

How would you recommend incoprerating other body parts (legs) into this workout for the 39 days?

I'll be doing squats tuesdays, deadlifts Saturdays, keeping Thursday as a rest day. Everything should be taken care of with the secondary exercises.

Unless of course that's going to hamper my progress on bench?

My first workout this morning went well. I was so pumped, and so angry :D, made for an energized workout. I didn't think I was going to make it because of the pullups, I did sets of 5, and next time I'll try 6, because 5 seemed too easy.

it seemed as if the number of sets and reps were perfect, because I easily pushed out 6 of 8 sets, 7th was slower, and I reckon I had 1-2 reps left in the tank after the very last rep. I don't even think the whole workout lasted longer than 20 minutes. 10 second rest was the most I had.

I threw in a modest tri workout, without burning out, and some roto cuff exercises. If this is going to slow my progress I'll kill it and focus on the bench.

Looks great kirk, keen to get started today. How would you recommend incoprerating other body parts (legs) into this workout for the 39 days? Today will be the start of my pre-preseason so I will probably be hitting the gym 4 times a week for weights and also moderate cardio every second day to get the legs/lungs working. Thanks for your help!

for 4 days a week and bench press focus do:
d1 - 40 day 1...already paired with chin ups so do rest of upper but no more chest work and minimal delt work
d2 -
d3 - 40 day 2...already paired with rows so do lower body low volume, low rep
d4 -
d5 - 40 day 3...already paired with rows so same as mon
d6 - lower body dynamic effort work but keep this session short-ish as it's your main lift recovery time
d7 -

for 3 days a week and squat/deadlift focus do:

d1 - 40 day 1...already paired with chin ups so do a bit more of lower body (glutes/hams)
d2 -
d3 - 40 day 2...already paired with rows so do upper body low volume, low rep
d4 -
d5 - 40 day 3...already paired with rows so same as mon
d6 - upper body day but probably won't need anymore back work
d7 -

also if you want to get the lungs going a bit then instead of pounding the legs if you're doing them for 40 day lift then incorpoate it into your upper body days with short rest

I'll be doing squats tuesdays, deadlifts Saturdays, keeping Thursday as a rest day. Everything should be taken care of with the secondary exercises.

Unless of course that's going to hamper my progress on bench?

My first workout this morning went well. I was so pumped, and so angry :D, made for an energized workout. I didn't think I was going to make it because of the pullups, I did sets of 5, and next time I'll try 6, because 5 seemed too easy.

it seemed as if the number of sets and reps were perfect, because I easily pushed out 6 of 8 sets, 7th was slower, and I reckon I had 1-2 reps left in the tank after the very last rep. I don't even think the whole workout lasted longer than 20 minutes. 10 second rest was the most I had.

I threw in a modest tri workout, without burning out, and some roto cuff exercises. If this is going to slow my progress I'll kill it and focus on the bench.

maybe rest bit more but i did my bench set, wondered over and do some rows, got a drink and filled in my program sheet, changed the wt and went again...you'll want at least 90secs with probably 2mins being better from last rep to 1st rep

with the chin ups you can go for more (and it's encouraged) but don't go repping 8 out if you drop below 5 before you finish your benches...and you should feel better going out then you do going in, not drenched in sweat like it's crossfit s**t...i'd steer clear of tricep work too and rotator cuffs don't really need training if you're doing a shitload of back work...tri's can maybe be done on the 3rd day but not 1 and 2

maybe rest bit more but i did my bench set, wondered over and do some rows, got a drink and filled in my program sheet, changed the wt and went again...you'll want at least 90secs with probably 2mins being better from last rep to 1st rep

with the chin ups you can go for more (and it's encouraged) but don't go repping 8 out if you drop below 5 before you finish your benches...and you should feel better going out then you do going in, not drenched in sweat like it's crossfit s**t...i'd steer clear of tricep work too and rotator cuffs don't really need training if you're doing a shitload of back work...tri's can maybe be done on the 3rd day but not 1 and 2
ok to do squats on Tuesdays, deadlifts on Saturdays? or leave as rest days

I like the general idea, I'm going to try it with push ups. Props for offering the tailored programs too.

push ups will need a different set up unless you can only do 8 of them

maybe something like this:

d1 - plyotric push ups (from bench or table if you need to - aim for maximum acceleration for the push off..if it takes you 2secs to land and get back up off the floor then you need to elevate more x 20 reps...then do 5mins of push ups aiming for as many reps as possible...increase plyo push ups by 5 and beat total reps in 5mins each week
d2 - push up bottom isometric hold x 2mins total time broken up however you like but maintain perfect alignment (no hip sag or arse in the air etc)
d3 - 2.5 x max reps where you test your max push ups in 1 set prior to the program then on this day your aim is to each 2 x 5 that number all without dropping to your elbows or knees...unbelievably hard...so if your max is 40 push ups then your aim is 100 in 1 go...if you don't reach it then rest 2 - 3mins and pick up where you left off and try to finish your number off as quick as possible...get closer and closer to the rep goal in 1 set each week hopefully reaching it
d4 - push up bottom isom etric hold x 2mins same as day 2
d5 - push up drop set where you set up 3 heights in a squat rack, smith machine or again with tables and chairs...start at the lowest height and do as many reps as you can without pausing then go straight to the next to higher level, repeat and finish off on the highest level...if you can do 20 reps on the floor then start there and then mid shin ht then knee ht (or thereabouts)...rest 2 - 3mins and repeat...add up the total for each triset and best it each week
d6- push up bottom isometric hold x 2mins
d7 - rest

that being said to offset all the chest, front delt and tri work you'll be doing you'll need to even it out with at least a 1:1 rep ratio of rows which is a pretty big task

push ups will need a different set up unless you can only do 8 of them

maybe something like this:

d1 - plyotric push ups (from bench or table if you need to - aim for maximum acceleration for the push off..if it takes you 2secs to land and get back up off the floor then you need to elevate more x 20 reps...then do 5mins of push ups aiming for as many reps as possible...increase plyo push ups by 5 and beat total reps in 5mins each week
d2 - push up bottom isometric hold x 2mins total time broken up however you like but maintain perfect alignment (no hip sag or arse in the air etc)
d3 - 2.5 x max reps where you test your max push ups in 1 set prior to the program then on this day your aim is to each 2 x 5 that number all without dropping to your elbows or knees...unbelievably hard...so if your max is 40 push ups then your aim is 100 in 1 go...if you don't reach it then rest 2 - 3mins and pick up where you left off and try to finish your number off as quick as possible...get closer and closer to the rep goal in 1 set each week hopefully reaching it
d4 - push up bottom isom etric hold x 2mins same as day 2
d5 - push up drop set where you set up 3 heights in a squat rack, smith machine or again with tables and chairs...start at the lowest height and do as many reps as you can without pausing then go straight to the next to higher level, repeat and finish off on the highest level...if you can do 20 reps on the floor then start there and then mid shin ht then knee ht (or thereabouts)...rest 2 - 3mins and repeat...add up the total for each triset and best it each week
d6- push up bottom isometric hold x 2mins
d7 - rest

that being said to offset all the chest, front delt and tri work you'll be doing you'll need to even it out with at least a 1:1 rep ratio of rows which is a pretty big task

Thanks mate.

But I thought the idea with greasing the groove was to not go to failure, and do multiple sets throughout the day? For example, I can do about 55 push ups. So I've been doing 4 - 5 sets of 30, 5 days a week in addition to my weight training.

I'm going to stick with that for a little while longer, then give something like yours a shot and see how I go.

Thanks mate.

But I thought the idea with greasing the groove was to not go to failure, and do multiple sets throughout the day? For example, I can do about 55 push ups. So I've been doing 4 - 5 sets of 30, 5 days a week in addition to my weight training.

I'm going to stick with that for a little while longer, then give something like yours a shot and see how I go.

I th

push ups don't stress the nervous system much at all, bench presses can...if you're already doing chest wts then you don't need 6 billion more push ups unless you don't think shoulder function is importnat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back