Get Stronger in 40 Days

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Interesting, not that I'm surprised however, but I lost 6 percent strength on the rack press, to what I'd do normally. First workout however, I gave up after 8 sets, because it wasn't getting any harder.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have to say, this cycle has been a complete failure. I started doing rack presses at 85kg, down to 83.5, and single rep max is at 96kg and feeling harder than the very first attempt. I might go back to a similar cycle to the first one. Maybe the effects of this cycle will be delayed, I'm not sure.

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
you're running rack presses for this cycle? not a good idea, too much nervous system fatigue as they require more neural drive then regular up and down reps...

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
Rember you shouldn't be maxing out here...work a bit by feel...if the next set doesn't feel like it will be explosive then stop and move to your singles...you should not be reaching your past max here either

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
If you're patient, which you should be for strength gains, then you should be able to roll with this for 10 - 12 weeks I'd reckon...there's only 2 hard days per week which is what most of us do anyway but you could simply use a deload session or week if you stall then pick it back up

Or change exercises and/or the intensity scheme you use on your 2 high days per week

If you go to the gym 5 times a week then you have your 2 hard days then simply do your 2 x 5/2 x 5/1 x 10 sessions on the other days you go to facillitate recover and improve neural drive through more vol/practice of the lift in question

Planned properly you could easily do 2 lifts for this at the same time and a good idea might be to do a 4 week cycle of military/deads while doing maintenance/speed focus for bench/squats then switch and repeat until the cows come home

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I can't remember how low I started, usually at a comfortable weight. bout 2-5kg less than my current 5 rep range for day 1 max weight.

When I did it the first time I reckon I went 7 weeks before I failed on day 1. I never failed the other two days. I failed twice in a row and went back to the start then got up another 2.5kg. Then I did the Smolov and hit a set of 5 at 87.5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Getting stronger in 40 days is definitely achievable. I think the issue people have is they complicate their training. Stick to the fundamentals of training in that you can and should do the following (if experience and fitness provides);

Day 1 (Monday) - Deadlifts, Weighted Hip Thrusts, chin ups, Bench Pulls

Day 2 (Wednesday) - Squats, overhead press, barbell rows

Day 3 (Friday) - Repeat day 1

Day 4 (Sunday) - Repeat day 2

Essentially this kind of program would put you on the track to develop strength in your fundamental key body parts. Essentially the set and rep range would be 5x8. Your weights would start at a moderate level for a beginner, heavier for more advanced. The objective is to always hit 5x8. Once you’ve done a week of achieving it, increase your weight. It’s ok to not hit 5x8. Keep going until you hit it then go up. You’d only be going up marginally. Hypothetically - 5kg for dead’s, squats and hip thrusts, and 1.25 - 2.5 for other movements.

You’ll ask why there’s no chest? Well we don’t need it. There’s a reason we have a stronger front side of the body, because that’s the way our head looks and that’s the way our arms work. Life is geared to the front, work the back for balance.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Also, to ensure your musculature and joints is not getting overloaded, once you’re progressing well with increasing load, taper off and maintain the same weight for 3 weeks. Then go up. Do this every 2 months or so. I’ve used this program and had exponential growth over a 12 month period, and would recommend it.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have just tried this with DB Bench and it works amazing.

Started light at 26kg still going and starting 40kg next week. Was only anticipating reaching 36KG. Previous best was only 4 reps at 34KG

Some notes:
  1. Once I reached 34KG I dropped sets on the back exercises during the chest workout and finished off if I had the energy.
  2. Alternated sets up to 34KG with tricep close grip bench and Larsen press .
  3. At 34KG I only alternated with Day 2. The tricep rotation did wonders for strength.
  4. When I hit 34KG I went up to 80% on day 3 which gave me a massive mental boost going into the following week.

Back