Mega Thread Get Stuffed McGuire The Swans Bigfooty Podcast (All Eddie angst, rants go in here)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
I've always had an issue with Eddie's conflict of interest between his Presidency at Collingwood and his other media positions. It gave him a massive advantage over rival clubs and he used it to bully his way through arguments. It shouldn't have continued as long as it did.

I bet Eddie himself wouldn't think he's racist but there's a litany of casual and not so casual racist remarks throughout his career and it was very disappointing the way things ended with Adam Goodes considering how well Eddie did with his initial response.

You would never question his commitment to Collingwood and his tireless efforts in supporting his club. I'm reading many tributes from his peers that he never lost sight of promoting the game as a whole, not just Collingwood, but I feel like that stopped at the Victorian border.

Andrew Demetriou said:

“On COLA, I had some sympathy for him. I think the message about COLA was it wasn’t directed only at the Swans, it was more about the sooner we can get to a non-compromised draft and non-compromised concessions, the more equal the competition,”

“He (McGuire) was consistent on that, he didn’t deviate from that.”

For me that's a Vic centric viewpoint that confuses equality and equity. Until you address that the vast majority of players are from Victoria and have a strong preference for playing in their home state then you won't get this "equal competition". It's not a simple fix but don't tell me it wasn't about Vic clubs vs their northern rivals.

He achieved a great deal for Collingwood but his drive to replace Malthouse with Buckley was a serious mistake in my view.

I didn't like him, didn't agree with him. I can respect his positive achievements but acknowledge some massive flaws in his character as well. I can say the same about myself.

Don't like Lumumba and think he's disingenuous.

But I think Eddie's firing had nothing to do with him. As Caroline Wilson succinctly said in the Age, Eddie's mouth is what did him in in the end. Collingwood were prepared to let him see out his time and go out gracefully. All he had to do was spend not even ten minutes acknowledging and apologising for what was in black and white in a report (no pun intended.) And he couldn't even do that. The guy's just an idiot with zero understanding of PR, which, when you're the public face and voice of a major sporting organisation, is basically the backbone of your job.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
You could perhaps put all the "isms" aside and look at it from a competence perspective.
What he did in the press conference was phenomenally stupid. Does Collingwood want someone with such fundamentally poor judgment as its President?

I think his stupidity was allowing his club to be investigated by a lady who sees racism in a piano. He thought he and his club would be immune. Then he doubled down with the press conference. I suspect the “chimp” thing was affectionate rather than malicious. I think all clubs have probably had an element of that kind of evolution over the last few decades. Some have been slower than others.

I think our indigenous neighbours have far bigger issues than whether Lamumba discovered personal grievances even as his form deteriorated.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Don't like Lumumba and think he's disingenuous.

But I think Eddie's firing had nothing to do with him. As Caroline Wilson succinctly said in the Age, Eddie's mouth is what did him in in the end. Collingwood were prepared to let him see out his time and go out gracefully. All he had to do was spend not even ten minutes acknowledging and apologising for what was in black and white in a report (no pun intended.) And he couldn't even do that. The guy's just an idiot with zero understanding of PR, which, when you're the public face and voice of a major sporting organisation, is basically the backbone of your job.
The thing is, it's never Eddie's fault.

Refusal to admit the Magpies were at fault in regard to the report findings led directly to how he addressed the media that day.

Refusal to admit the Magpies were at fault in regard to the report findings led directly to how he addressed the media that day.

Exactly this. He went into it not even realising he was going to be shooting himself in the foot. Totally misguided. It's almost like the PR rep who did a once-over of his statement wanted him to get fired. Either that, or he really was that much of an autocrat that his statements don't even get reviewed by a professional.

I think he did a lot of good things for Collingwood, but there were also plenty of occasions where he was inept. It wouldn't shock me if an investigative report found evidence of systemic racism at all 18 clubs in the AFL, including our own, despite being arguably the most inclusive club in the comp. But it's not how you avoid problems, but how you deal with them, that defines leadership. And on that front, Eddie should get a D.

And then he should eat one.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Exactly this. He went into it not even realising he was going to be shooting himself in the foot. Totally misguided. It's almost like the PR rep who did a once-over of his statement wanted him to get fired. Either that, or he really was that much of an autocrat that his statements don't even get reviewed by a professional.

I think he did a lot of good things for Collingwood, but there were also plenty of occasions where he was inept. It wouldn't shock me if an investigative report found evidence of systemic racism at all 18 clubs in the AFL, including our own, despite being arguably the most inclusive club in the comp. But it's not how you avoid problems, but how you deal with them, that defines leadership. And on that front, Eddie should get a D.

Do you understand how that last line robs you of all credibility? Right up there with “tore them a new one”.

Do you understand how that last line robs you of all credibility? Right up there with “tore them a new one”.

It was a joke, and let's face it, if I was looking for any credibility, I would not be posting on here, the festering birthplace of rumours and innuendos.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
It was a joke, and let's face it, if I was looking for any credibility, I would not be posting on here, the festering birthplace of rumours and innuendos.
Yeah I know. And it’s an expression used without thought for its meaning. And this is the problem. A wise man once said “let he who is without sin cast the first stone”.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney

and the report led to the loss of a major sponsor and a $1 million from the club's bottom line in this environment. The only reason Eddie walked was that his staying at the club until the end of his term would cost the club even more money.

CGU Insurance, a major sponsor of Collingwood, have told the Magpies they will redirect $1million of their sponsorship payments in 2021 to programs and initiatives that support First Nations and ethnically diverse organisations.

In the final year of their deal with Collingwood, CGU Insurance signalled to the Magpies their intention to do so as a result of the findings of the Do Better report that found the club guilty of systemic racism.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I think Ive told this story before...?
A mate of mine (Tigers supporter) was watching the Tigers play Collingwood at the pub a couple of years ago. He was chatting with a women and said
Mate "I hate Collingwood"
Women "Why"
Mate "I just f***ing hate Eddie McGuire"
Women "yep, I understand, He's my Uncle"

Up yours Eddie!!!

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Maybe I shouldn’t have commented because I’m not across it in enough detail but I just hate these mob forced resignations. And maybe it’s just me but Lumumba just doesn’t seem to me to have the authenticity of Goodes, the Krakouers, Winmar etc.
I think (and I'm thinking out loud and on the run) that Aboriginal people have been putting up with this s**t for years. Lots of racial abuse both avert(like Winmar and Goodes) and just society attitudes(like Lumumba) which were casual inferences and jokes. Both can hurt just as much.

We as a society have not grown up yet in regard to racial stereotyping, casual racism and racial abuse in Australia. I think we are just about 13 year olds with pimples paranoid at what people (think about us supporting aboriginal people) will think of us and awkward at talking(to the opposite sex) about race issues. I look at New Zealand who perform the haka before every single All Blacks match. Not very different to Adam Goodes war dance. Aboriginal culture in Australia is not celebrated like Maori culture is in New Zealand. The New Zealand national anthem is sung in both English and Maori. We have a long way to catch up to even New Zealand. Aboriginal culture is celebrated in New Zealand. Aboriginal culture is not celebrated in Australia to the extent that the general public is proud of it like New Zealand.

I think the general Australian public is very immature about racism because it doesn't understand exactly what racism is, the amount of hurt it inflicts and what is required to remove racism from our daily lives of all Australians. I had an Italian woman that I work with(coincidently a Collingwood supporter), who is a lovely person by the way, say
"I put up with being called a Wog, Adam Goodes should be able to put up with being Booed because he is being booed because he is sliding and tripping people in his tackles. That is why he is being booed. Not because he is black." or words to that effect.

Some people cannot see blatant racism as different.

To get back to your point Bruce, in a long winded way, I think the push back against racism was
  • In the 70s - racism was encouraged
  • In the 80s - some people thought change was needed
  • etc
  • In 2010s - Adam Goodes can still get booed every match and the AFL does nothing
  • In 2020s - The general public will call out racism if heard in a stadium.
Societies attitudes have changed. Collingwood has realised that its supporters, and the general public, and its sponsors, WANT CHANGE.

Collinwood had no choice. Eddie didnt learn from his mistakes. The board has to answer to its members, the general public(image) and its sponsors. Forced resignation of Eddie. No. I do not know why you thought it was forced. He literally was living on borrowed time. He should have gone years ago. The board did its due diligence. They got the facts. Eddie was too powerful. Once they had the facts. Eddie stuffed up again being "proud". Nail in coffin.

Friends... in honour of this momentus occassion...

We've waited a long long time and its time to resurrect this thread for one final hurrah!!

View attachment 1054603

I am proposing we create an annual award we can be proud of on the board...

It can go to the commentator or club president who most resembles this perhaps?

Meme - Eddie Numpty.jpg

What do you think?

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

View attachment 1055269

What do you think?

The “Eddie Maguire Dufus award”
for the worst case of racism misogyny or bigotry in the preceding 12 months. People need to make nominations by 31 jan each year and we vote up to end of Feb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

View attachment 1055269

What do you think?
We'll need a thread for keeping track of the nominations either way. I'm not certain on naming iit though & how that would sit with the rest of the board members here.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
This is standard playbook defence of casual racism
It’s not a defence of it. It’s an acknowledgment of it.

Casual racism is something almost all of us were guilty of back in the 70s and 80s. We thought it was ok because it wasn’t malicious. We had it in the same category as calling redheads “Blue”, short blokes “Stumpy”, larger blokes “Pud”, and big nosed blokes “Gonzo”.

We didn’t understand the underlying hurt that was associated with it and indeed thought we were being “inclusive”. We were wrong. We have (mostly) learnt. Some more quickly than others.

I do think though that it is important to distinguish between casual racism and overt racism (like we experienced with Adam Goodes).

Both may be hurtful, but one is born of ignorance, the other of hate. I don’t know how you cure hate but ignorance is easy. Education. Which leads to understanding. And that is best achieved by gentle persuasion.

Screaming at “casual racists” that they are evil and should be removed from whatever role isn’t the answer. And is more likely to lead to resentment, which leads to hate, which begets overt racism.

Nothing is solved.

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
It’s not a defence of it. It’s an acknowledgment of it.

Casual racism is something almost all of us were guilty of back in the 70s and 80s. We thought it was ok because it wasn’t malicious. We had it in the same category as calling redheads “Blue”, short blokes “Stumpy”, larger blokes “Pud”, and big nosed blokes “Gonzo”.

We didn’t understand the underlying hurt that was associated with it and indeed thought we were being “inclusive”. We were wrong. We have (mostly) learnt. Some more quickly than others.

I do think though that it is important to distinguish between casual racism and overt racism (like we experienced with Adam Goodes).

Both may be hurtful, but one is born of ignorance, the other of hate. I don’t know how you cure hate but ignorance is easy. Education. Which leads to understanding. And that is best achieved by gentle persuasion.

Screaming at “casual racists” that they are evil and should be removed from whatever role isn’t the answer. And is more likely to lead to resentment, which leads to hate, which begets overt racism.

Nothing is solved.
I agree. We were all guilty of casual racism. I was. Education is the key and it does lead to understanding. We as Australians will get there.

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney

It is not the mistakes in life that you make that define you as a person. It is what you do after making those mistakes that define you as a person.
Eddie never learned.

I agree. We were all guilty of casual racism. I was. Education is the key and it does lead to understanding. We as Australians will get there.

I am not as sure about that as you are. Overt racism is inherently evil, and no matter how many generations pass, there will always be plenty of people out there who are inherently evil. They are people who will hate people of a different race, gender, religion, ethnicity, sexuality and size. And who will just hate for the sake of hating. They're labelled "trolls" in today's society, but I think that term lets them off far too lightly. It implies there's something curious, satirical or comical about their views. Spewing hate and vitriol is not "trolling". My little sister copying my profanities as I lose my s**t putting Ikea furniture together is trolling.

I honestly fear that society will never learn to co-exist with it's differences, and that the fight against big-mouth, hateful twats will be never-ending.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
In a ideal world i wouldn't bother to care who Eddie is/was and he would be just another club president that 17 other clubs have.

But Eddie chose this path he used his position since 2013 (recruitment of Tippett) and then Franklin (hosted a special AFL 360 that night which basically was a free invitation for all to s**t on our club) i sincerely hope he fails in whatever he does in the future and i hope every single Souths supporter despises the man.

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
You can tell the badly-run clubs because they have the most scandals and screw-ups. You very rarely see us or Hawks or Geelong in the headlines but I can't even recall all of Collingwood embarrassments in recent years - drink-driving, gambling, drugs, Steele Sidebottom's epic night out and the list mismanagement failure that led to the public shaming of Adam Treloar.

So thanks Eddie for being a liability to your club for so long. 23 years is far far too long for club president, especially for one who made a point of moving on a coach (another failure - thanks again). Compare that with Colless moving himself on after 15 or so years and Pridham taking the job without either managing to offend a single group in the community.

McGuire did nothing about the allegations of racism because it reflected on him, the long-serving boss. Perfect example of why you need to change leaders. Plus the fact it has a non-functioning board and governance -- no wonder the club gets into so much trouble.

The other striking thing about his departure is the ridiculously warm farewell from the footy industry. Contrast that with the views of the footy public, media and general public. He's still a powerful media figure and you can see not one person in the footy world is willing to cross him

I'm glad to see the back of him because he's a dinosaur, he can't tell the difference between spin and out and out BS and he really doesn't get the issue of racial justice. Plus he's never received the whacks he deserved for his whiny attacks on us over COLA and the Academy, as if his club sitting on a half a million rusted-on supporters, the league's most lavish facilities and having to leave Melbourne just four times a year is somehow disadvantaged by the presence of northern teams. Good riddance.

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
You can tell the badly-run clubs because they have the most scandals and screw-ups. You very rarely see us or Hawks or Geelong in the headlines but I can't even recall all of Collingwood embarrassments in recent years - drink-driving, gambling, drugs, Steele Sidebottom's epic night out and the list mismanagement failure that led to the public shaming of Adam Treloar.

So thanks Eddie for being a liability to your club for so long. 23 years is far far too long for club president, especially for one who made a point of moving on a coach (another failure - thanks again). Compare that with Colless moving himself on after 15 or so years and Pridham taking the job without either managing to offend a single group in the community.

McGuire did nothing about the allegations of racism because it reflected on him, the long-serving boss. Perfect example of why you need to change leaders. Plus the fact it has a non-functioning board and governance -- no wonder the club gets into so much trouble.

The other striking thing about his departure is the ridiculously warm farewell from the footy industry. Contrast that with the views of the footy public, media and general public. He's still a powerful media figure and you can see not one person in the footy world is willing to cross him

I'm glad to see the back of him because he's a dinosaur, he can't tell the difference between spin and out and out BS and he really doesn't get the issue of racial justice. Plus he's never received the whacks he deserved for his whiny attacks on us over COLA and the Academy, as if his club sitting on a half a million rusted-on supporters, the league's most lavish facilities and having to leave Melbourne just four times a year is somehow disadvantaged by the presence of northern teams. Good riddance.
Well said Big Blood. He was cancer. To his own club and other clubs like us. Good Riddance.

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I hope he fails miserably at anything he attempts from here on in.

Had a personal vendetta against our club, and used his media outlets to express this.

his comments like "they've developed nothing up there in 30 years" goes to show how little he actually understood about the NSW football market, and on a personal note an insult to people like my uncle who, after moving from Melbourne in 1981, worked as a volunteer at Pittwater football club for 35 years, long after his own children finished playing.

Even in his resignation speech he still played the victim, how embarrassing.

Always remember fat head under your 23year watch your "biggest sporting club in Australia" won one flag and the club you seem to hate the most won 2.

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
I am not as sure about that as you are. Overt racism is inherently evil, and no matter how many generations pass, there will always be plenty of people out there who are inherently evil. They are people who will hate people of a different race, gender, religion, ethnicity, sexuality and size. And who will just hate for the sake of hating. They're labelled "trolls" in today's society, but I think that term lets them off far too lightly. It implies there's something curious, satirical or comical about their views. Spewing hate and vitriol is not "trolling". My little sister copying my profanities as I lose my sh*t putting Ikea furniture together is trolling.

I honestly fear that society will never learn to co-exist with it's differences, and that the fight against big-mouth, hateful twats will be never-ending.
I am not as pessimistic as you. I agree there is always a small majority that just will not accept others than them. But I think in the last 50 years we have gone from racism not even existing to racism being called out in stadiums. That is a big achievement.
I am a positive guy. I see negative people, negative situations, I just cannot fathom it.

I have taught Mumgu-dahl(aboriginal studies), I have researched aboriginal culture and created a resource with thousands of files that is now used by a TAFE. In my research of aboriginal people I discovered a fascination of their culture. It is amazing. The oldest living culture on Erth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back