Opinion Get The "Think Tank" Out - We Need Some New Ideas

Remove this Banner Ad

There are compensations galore with the kids Meb. Just think, you'll be an Auskick mum in a few years! ;)

Last yeah my boy was chosen (I live in Kalgoorlie) to play the half time Auskick Eagles v Freo match. All I can say what an awesome day. Worth the 1300 km return trip and accommodation $$$ over night. That sort of experience is irreplaceable.

Mar 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
About a month or so ago a few Bombers players came out to my kids daycare. Each kid got a pack which had a footy, a book, a T-shirt and a few other bits and pieces. All the kids had a ball and my boy hasn't stopped talking about playing hide and seek with Skeeta the mascot.

Although I was disgusted to see my boy (and all the other kids) wearing a bombers shirt when I picked him up, it was pretty impressive what they did.

Do we do things like this?

Navy Blue Blood

Debutant
May 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Enjoying reading the suggestions in this thread :thumbsu:

I was thinking a little bit about the general idea of building a real sense of Carlton community/membership value. When I first started going to the football one of the things I loved was going to Princes Park with my GA membership and sitting in a Carlton members only section (Usually a couple of rows back from the players race if anyone's interested). I saw the same faces every week we played at Princes Park and it was the sense of belonging that rapidly drew me into a lifetime commitment to the club.

Nowadays to get seating in a Carlton only area you need to pay for a reserve seat on top of the membership... Surely at our home games we could recreate the feel of Princes Park more effectively by setting aside a premium area of GA seating exclusively for GA members which would (hopefully) add to the perceived value of a membership and build the sense of Blue Bagger community. For me it would create a genuine sense of home ground spirit more than any bullshit electronic picket fences being flashed around the arena for 5 minutes before the game.

BIGGUS 64

Premiership Player
Feb 3, 2014
Greensborough
AFL Club
Carlton
About a month or so ago a few Bombers players came out to my kids daycare. Each kid got a pack which had a footy, a book, a T-shirt and a few other bits and pieces. All the kids had a ball and my boy hasn't stopped talking about playing hide and seek with Skeeta the mascot.

Although I was disgusted to see my boy (and all the other kids) wearing a bombers shirt when I picked him up, it was pretty impressive what they did.

Do we do things like this?

Yes we do, I am a primary teacher and a number of years ago a school I was working at had a visit from Dave Ellard who came to run a clinic for the day and distribute merchandice. I thought Davie did a great job, but was a bit bemused that the club had just sent a single rookie listed player with (at that time) just a single senior appearance to his name.

My current school had Dylbucks and another player (I don't recall who) visit a couple of years and I understand Dylan made a very good impression. (This was just before I started working there, unfortunately. :() They don't seem to have come back though, which is a shame. Other clubs have got in instead. :mad:

How our school visits rate as compared with other clubs I couldn't say, but our guys are doing them.
* sending their mascot is a nice touch I must say. It might well be an area we could improve on, to maximize the impression made on young minds and as-yet unsolidified footy allegiances. ;)

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
Who the hell is Navy Nina ?? :eek:

Or should that be the Navy Ninja ??
8f8ef20159522a70fec8bf366c227240

NAVY NINA

Cripps17

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Interacting with kids is surely the whole point of the mascots! Get Navy Nina and Captain Carlton to hustle goddamnit!
Good point. Took the kids to training on the weekend - team ran out 45 minutes late followed by the training session before anyone interacted with the kids.

My kids would have been thrilled had the mascots been there entertaing the kids, as it was my youngest found the experience pretty dull apart from the signatures at the end.

I understand it's training but it's also one of the few opportunities to engage with interstate supporters (and win kids over).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
I wrote in another thread in response to the rumour that the board want to land a big fish to give the membership a massive spike, if Carlton supporters aren't interested in signing up as a member now (ie. after that gritty win over GWS on the weekend) then they never ever will.

Whilst some people think playing finals etc will bring members in, those attracted by that scenario are just the chardonnay sipping bandwagoner set who will jump off just as quick. They will come and go but we need some genuine depth & consolidation in our membership numbers because the bandwagoners are not the ones the club needs to build its support base around.

New slogan - "Are You With Us ??"

It's a call to arms to all Blues fans across the country, get onboard now and ride this baby home to the end.

It's a shame that no-one was able to come up with a membership package or two for the really rusted on supporters to show their intentions when Bolton was appointed.

"66-Game Reset Membership" - supporters sign up for three years with monthly payments being taken from their credit card

"Next Premiership Membership" (the ultimate supporter package) - supporters sign up to be members until such time as we win cup No. 17. with monthly payments being taken from their credit card

These unique packages could of generated a guaranteed 25,000-30,000 members are already locked in every year for some time.

It would of given them some genuine bragging rights plus opened up the possibility of a unique & exclusive range of merchandise that was only open to those who signed up for one of those packages.

Still not too late to implement the "Next Premiership" pack, in fact it may be an opportune time.

I wrote in another thread in response to the rumour that the board want to land a big fish to give the membership a massive spike, if Carlton supporters aren't interested in signing up as a member now (ie. after that gritty win over GWS on the weekend) then they never ever will.

Whilst some people think playing finals etc will bring members in, those attracted by that scenario are just the chardonnay sipping bandwagoner set who will jump off just as quick. They will come and go but we need some genuine depth & consolidation in our membership numbers because the bandwagoners are not the ones the club needs to build its support base around.

New slogan - "Are You With Us ??"

It's a call to arms to all Blues fans across the country, get onboard now and ride this baby home to the end.

It's a shame that no-one was able to come up with a membership package or two for the really rusted on supporters to show their intentions when Bolton was appointed.

"66-Game Reset Membership" - supporters sign up for three years with monthly payments being taken from their credit card

"Next Premiership Membership" (the ultimate supporter package) - supporters sign up to be members until such time as we win cup No. 17. with monthly payments being taken from their credit card

These unique packages could of generated a guaranteed 25,000-30,000 members are already locked in every year for some time.

It would of given them some genuine bragging rights plus opened up the possibility of a unique & exclusive range of merchandise that was only open to those who signed up for one of those packages.

Still not too late to implement the "Next Premiership" pack, in fact it may be an opportune time.

Way to think outside the box .. tap into already blue blood loyalists

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Way to think outside the box .. tap into already blue blood loyalists

Here's a novel thought, lock in 25-30K members every year for the next 5-years meaning that we can focus our attention on attracting new members whilst converting other existing members to become long-termers.

I'm sure our Membership Department use up a lot of valuable time chasing existing members to renew, why not have a scheme that locks them in for the long-term and use that office time more wisely to generate newer members ??

Say offer them a front loaded contract whereby the first 4 years are standard rate but get % cheaper each yearthe longer you commit to the club.

Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
How much is the club using Facebook to lure some of the 200k supporters into membership? A little promotion of the price friendly options such as at home and digital membership wouldn't hurt. I haven't noticed much membership plugging, though I don't spend a great amount of time on the Facebook page anyway.

According to the club, all Nike gear at the club is limited to a max size of XXL. For those of us who are larger than that, we're s**t out of luck. It has a tendency to stop the club from making more sales.

The club charges interstate members $95 bucks (I think... I never pay attention to that s**t) and we have access to 5 interstate games... well that's s**t for starters... SA supporters didn't have a game in their state for how long, and us WA supporters might see 1 game a year, unless we're minted and can fly all over Australia for interstate games. And we just get the standard membership pack as Victorian based members. The club needs to do more to engage those of us who live interstate. At times I feel that we are only there as a line on a spreadsheet for the club. Maybe the club needs to think up what extra they can put into the membership pack for us... maybe include both the cap and scarf for us... or maybe a personalised signed framed photograph of our favourite player with a "Thanks for supporting the club" added in.

Dec 8, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
According to the club, all Nike gear at the club is limited to a max size of XXL. For those of us who are larger than that, we're s**t out of luck. It has a tendency to stop the club from making more sales.

The club charges interstate members $95 bucks (I think... I never pay attention to that s**t) and we have access to 5 interstate games... well that's s**t for starters... SA supporters didn't have a game in their state for how long, and us WA supporters might see 1 game a year, unless we're minted and can fly all over Australia for interstate games. And we just get the standard membership pack as Victorian based members. The club needs to do more to engage those of us who live interstate. At times I feel that we are only there as a line on a spreadsheet for the club. Maybe the club needs to think up what extra they can put into the membership pack for us... maybe include both the cap and scarf for us... or maybe a personalised signed framed photograph of our favourite player with a "Thanks for supporting the club" added in.

Think the lack of Adelaide games genuinely angered the club to where I think Teigg made it one of our biggest requests last time. Scheduling is the one thing the club can't guarantee so I think interstate memberships would have to be curated to be based after the fact.

I do like the idea of membership being based around the next flag, throw incentives and guarantees to those who stick fat this those memberships like a gala function for those members and the team a fortnight or period after the fact, a chance to hold the cup etc would be awesome.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back