Opinion Get The "Think Tank" Out - We Need Some New Ideas

Remove this Banner Ad

Does any club specifically support emergency services personal?
We are the blues and so are they, police are referred to as "men and women in blue', paramedics wear navy blue, fireys wear navy blue.
Could it be beneficial for our club to do some sort of official alliance with emergency services?
A game to show respect for the men and women in these fields who put their lives on the line to help the community and have died doing so.

In addition to this, members of the emergency services have an extremely high number of suicides, we could also have some sort of alliance with Beyond Blue. All of this may sound a little cheesy but so did the dream time game at the beginning and so did the farmers game. We need to come up with something new.

The dogs in Canberra
The dees in Alice
The Saints in NZ
The Hawks in Tassie
The Power in China
The Roos in Tassie
Whoever plays up in Darwin

Dreamtime game
Maddie match
The farmers game
Good friday footy

There is more and none of which involve our club.
With that in mind, maybe we should affiliate with the Navy... oohrah...

Yes, I know that's US Navy, or Marines, specifically...

Saints and Hawks play the cup commemorating police who died in the line of duty...SIilk/Miller Cup I think it's called.

But I like the idea, especially the Beyond Blue part of it.

Ok I'm probably going to Cheeseville now but what about they host or if that's too hard, sponsor a blues festival sometime over summer.....or even during the AFLW season? Timing to take advantage of the warmer weather.

Engage with venues throughout the suburbs of Carlton, Brunswick and Parkville.

Discounted 3 game memberships available with your tickets to attract some otherwise disinterested theatre goers.

The Carlton Respects movement is a good start (orange socks) and shows we are expanding on just having an AFLW team.
Was good to see Doc and a club staffer on TV promoting one of our initiatives for once.

The Carlton Respects movement is a good start (orange socks) and shows we are expanding on just having an AFLW team.
Was good to see Doc and a club staffer on TV promoting one of our initiatives for once.
Next week we should wear baby blue socks to raise awareness of domestic violence against men.

It kind of shits me that the whole week is about domestic violence against women. Why does it need to be gendered? Could have just been domestic violence. Domestic violence OF ALL FORMS is wrong and needs to be stopped. Not just that against women.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Next week we should wear baby blue socks to raise awareness of domestic violence against men.

It kind of shits me that the whole week is about domestic violence against women. Why does it need to be gendered? Could have just been domestic violence. Domestic violence OF ALL FORMS is wrong and needs to be stopped. Not just that against women.

I actually agree with you. But the vast majority of domestic violence is committed by men against women.

One thing I noticed yesterday when logging into my Rebels membership account, was that they have an option to transfer your membership ticket to a friend or family member if you can't make it--free of charge. If Carlton members had the option of doing that, then my seat may not have gone empty all year, which means one more person at the game, and it might encourage friends to go 'halvies' if they can't afford or justify the cost of a full membership.

One thing I noticed yesterday when logging into my Rebels membership account, was that they have an option to transfer your membership ticket to a friend or family member if you can't make it--free of charge. If Carlton members had the option of doing that, then my seat may not have gone empty all year, which means one more person at the game, and it might encourage friends to go 'halvies' if they can't afford or justify the cost of a full membership.
Or they may sign up themselves in the following year... :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When something is wrong do you focus on the biggest problem or the smallest problem? How many men are killed each week by their partners?

Can we poach whoever does the social media for Saint Kilda? There content has been excellent for years. While ours has been more than pathetic.
we moved on a lot of the better guys or they got jobs at fox sports/ the major papers.

i think a lot of fans have been critical that the club has taken a step back with their social media content IMO but i think thats just because we were spoilt from the 2013ish period to last year

How many men are killed each week by their partners?

How is that relevant to my point?

Domestic violence is disgusting. It is a cancer on society which perpetuates all too easily over generations. It ALL needs to stop. Why is that so hard to understand?

The club missed an opportunity here. Could have made a video with Murph talking about violence against women and Lauren Arnell talking about violence against men.

Instead the club has decided to go with speaking out about violence against women, instead of all domestic violence. Aparently violence against men isn't a problem. What about violence in same sex partnerships? Should we ignore that? This of sort divisiveness isnt necessary.

It perpetuates the myth that men cant be victims. Perhaps this is why some men find it difficult to tell anyone about what they are going through. They fear being laughed at because of community perceptions. Does it factor into the massive rates of male suicide? I dont know, but surely it can't be helpful.

The TAC's message is "Don't drink and drive', not 'don't drink and drive on the weekend'. They know that the rate of drink driving is higher on the weekened but they know the problem doesnt stop there.

All the club needed to do was drop the words 'against women' and it would have been a much more inclusive message of condemnation against domestic violence.

Domestic violence is disgusting. It is a cancer on society which perpetuates all too easily over generations. It ALL needs to stop. Why is that so hard to understand?

The club missed an opportunity here. Could have made a video with Murph talking about violence against women and Lauren Arnell talking about violence against men.

Instead the club has decided to go with speaking out about violence against women, instead of all domestic violence. Aparently violence against men isn't a problem. What about violence in same sex partnerships? Should we ignore that? This of sort divisiveness isnt necessary.

It perpetuates the myth that men cant be victims. Perhaps this is why some men find it difficult to tell anyone about what they are going through. They fear being laughed at because of community perceptions. Does it factor into the massive rates of male suicide? I dont know, but surely it can't be helpful.

The TAC's message is "Don't drink and drive', not 'don't drink and drive on the weekend'. They know that the rate of drink driving is higher on the weekened but they know the problem doesnt stop there.

All the club needed to do was drop the words 'against women' and it would have been a much more inclusive message of condemnation against domestic violence.

You make some very valid points.

Take some time to appreciate this issue is finally being highlighted, plenty of time to expand the message once it gets into people's consciousness that the problem actually exists.

Had co-workers and friends on the receiving end, both male and female, not nice regardless of gender.

It would be better to decry all violence, especially domestic violence, baby steps are better than no steps at all.

You make some very valid points.

Take some time to appreciate this issue is finally being highlighted, plenty of time to expand the message once it gets into people's consciousness that the problem actually exists.

Had co-workers and friends on the receiving end, both male and female, not nice regardless of gender.

It would be better to decry all violence, especially domestic violence, baby steps are better than no steps at all.
Very true.

I haven't read the whole thread, so what I say may have already been said.
I think we have 2 problems.
1. A lazy supporter base. We have plenty of fans, but most aren't as passionate as they used to be
2. We need to win more games. Simple as that.

Forget all the gimmicks, novelty rounds, pet memberships.
Concentrate on improving the on field and the rest will follow.

25-30 years ago, you would only see Blues, Pies, Ess, Tigers jumpers at junior footy training, now it's all bloody Poo's & Wee's, Aints, Cats etc.
The young generation don't necessarily follow who their parents support. they support the successful clubs.
I made my kids follow the Blues, they had no choice, many parents these days are ambivalent.
Hopefully players like CC, Cripps, SPS, SOS, will get the young kids motivated to follow us, and some of those many fans who have dropped off will return as well.

What you call gimmicks are more correctly termed smart marketing strategies. "Just fix on field" is old Carlton think.

Of course we all want the club to be successful but its obvious the club needs to work on it's image as well.

This thread has already thrown up some great ideas. Maybe you should actually read it.

What you call gimmicks are more correctly termed smart marketing strategies. "Just fix on field" is old Carlton think.

Of course we all want the club to be successful but its obvious the club needs to work on it's image as well.

This thread has already thrown up some great ideas. Maybe you should actually read it.
No worries
Your entitled to your opinion.
Mine is that "marketing strategies" ie, hover crafts, are a complete waste of time.
And make many people cringe.
I can also guarantee that improvement on field will absolutely result in improvement in all other areas.
That's a fact.
By the way, I actually think the club is on the right track, in most areas.

I don't know why so many people feel the need to cry "what about this problem" anytime a certain issue gets a lot of air time.

There is no doubt that all violence is bad and by highlighting one aspect shouldn't and is not intended to take away from the other.

Do you dislike indigenous round, women's round, the MND match, Maddies match because they focus on individual problems?

Complaining that the club has chosen to make a stand against violence against women is pretty average imo and seems to be trying to shift the argument.

In Victoria last year women made up 77% of domestic/family violence victims. I'm not sure how anyone thinks by highlighting and supporting this problem our club has missed anything.

I haven't read the whole thread, so what I say may have already been said.
I think we have 2 problems.
1. A lazy supporter base. We have plenty of fans, but most aren't as passionate as they used to be
2. We need to win more games. Simple as that.

Forget all the gimmicks, novelty rounds, pet memberships.
Concentrate on improving the on field and the rest will follow.

25-30 years ago, you would only see Blues, Pies, Ess, Tigers jumpers at junior footy training, now it's all bloody Poo's & Wee's, Aints, Cats etc.
The young generation don't necessarily follow who their parents support. they support the successful clubs.
I made my kids follow the Blues, they had no choice, many parents these days are ambivalent.
Hopefully players like CC, Cripps, SPS, SOS, will get the young kids motivated to follow us, and some of those many fans who have dropped off will return as well.

If you don't move with the times then you get left behind.
It is why we have been so bad on field for so long. On field is only 1 part of a successful club.

I don't know why so many people feel the need to cry "what about this problem" anytime a certain issue gets a lot of air time.

There is no doubt that all violence is bad and by highlighting one aspect shouldn't and is not intended to take away from the other.

Do you dislike indigenous round, women's round, the MND match, Maddies match because they focus on individual problems?

Complaining that the club has chosen to make a stand against violence against women is pretty average imo and seems to be trying to shift the argument.

In Victoria last year women made up 77% of domestic/family violence victims. I'm not sure how anyone thinks by highlighting and supporting this problem our club has missed anything.
To me its the same problem. I dont understand the need to divide it.

Dont get me wrong, i think its a great initiative by the club. Just think it could have been done better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back