Toast Get your Lyons for nothing and your chicks for free

Doubt it. Enjoy the steal. We got a gun for nothing.
It’ll be the bloke at the pub “ Youse got Hipworth Andrews and Lyons for free “

Keep it down.

He is an absolute gun. Rightful claim as an A grade mid.
I always thought he was solid but upon closer inspection the pin point handballs over the head give him a new grading

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
I always thought he was solid but upon closer inspection the pin point handballs over the head give him a new grading

Yeah that's good alright, but his "one wood" is that amazing knack of snapping goals from 20 to 40 metres out. Just seems to have an uncanny ability not only of being in the right spot but to be able to execute with very limited time and space,

GUN!

lionraven

All Australian
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Statistically he has been poorer this year than last. The difference is he is playing in a stronger midfield so his effectiveness is increased. Midfielders rely on synergy and collaboration to have a multiplicative effect on output. Themidfeild will continue to grow over the next year as everyone gets used to each other,

He is down on average disposals and way down on contested possessions from 13.58 to 10.75. His other parameters are equivalent. Essentially he is getting less ball. However, the ball he is getting this year would no doubt be more effective when he gets the ball out to the likes of Neale, Zorko, McCluggage or Berry. I would like to see how he compares in terms of assisted meters gained from GC to BL. No doubt his disposals have been more effective because we have a competent midfield and forward line that can make use of the ball he extracts instead of a bunch of 19 year olds hack kicking it out of contests ala Suns.

Having said all this I dont want to downplay how effective Lyons has been. Yes some of his improvement is because of the talent around him hence him being free to do things. However, it seems he has had a huge influence in stoppages as per the various media interviews where other players comment that that is his baby. Given how far we have improved in this domain and how our brand of football is dependent on contested ball and stoppages, Lyons has had a tremendous impact on the club. Just goes to show how a player and club matching in ethos and game style can have dramatic improvements despite the numbers looking worse.

I imagine Cutler going to a team that could use his outside run whilst using another player or players to cover his defensive ineptitude could see similar revelations in 2020. We would be left looking like idiots because we let him go but I doubt the likes of Cutler would fit in and do well with the brand of football we are playing (contested hard stoppage football). Cutler would do well at Carlton or Essendon's run and gun style. The Eagles have the defensive talent to cover a Cutler type (but they already have Gaff who is defensively unaccountable). Will be interesting to drr what happens with Cuts

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was a bit worried earlier in the season. He played very poorly against Essendon, Collingwood, the Bulldogs and Carlton but he's been great since the bye and fits our gameplan perfectly allowing Robbo and Berry to play on the wings.

Yeah that's good alright, but his "one wood" is that amazing knack of snapping goals from 20 to 40 metres out. Just seems to have an uncanny ability not only of being in the right spot but to be able to execute with very limited time and space,

GUN!

Always sets up on the defensive side of the pack - facing the goals so he knows where they are. Smart footballer. Has found his niche.

Back