Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
I come to this thread to check out the chicks. There's no chick pictures. Scammed by fake news again.
sntitled.jpg

Good article on JL from Staffo:

Lyons sustained an ankle injury in 2017 that limited his capacity to run last year. "I could still do everything inside [the contest], but when you're playing in a side that doesn't have a lot of the footy, you get exposed going the other way a bit more than you would if you're in a side that's playing with the ball and playing well," he says.

But no amount of context can hide Lyons' key strength: he finished third in clearances across the entire competition last year. He permits himself a wry smile. "That's probably another thing that begs why I'm not [at the Suns] any more, but numbers aren't everything," he says.

Why did the Suns just let him walk, without trying to get him to stay? Why was he on Dew's shitlist? We have heard, in the public realm, how he loves the strategy of stoppage setups. How he is a part of the process in Brisbane, and can see how much he has grown as a player.

Methinx there may have been an element of do not tell us how to do our jobs there.

Or they are just incompetent.

Why did the Suns just let him walk, without trying to get him to stay? Why was he on Dew's s**tlist? We have heard, in the public realm, how he loves the strategy of stoppage setups. How he is a part of the process in Brisbane, and can see how much he has grown as a player.

Methinx there may have been an element of do not tell us how to do our jobs there.

It seems to basically boil down to Suns had cap issues (remarkably) and their coach was too focused on Lyons negatives.
Whereas our coach was focused on the positives.
They were so desperate for cash relief they let him go thinking he was no good.
It was a very, very poor decision.
But good for us.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Why did the Suns just let him walk, without trying to get him to stay? Why was he on Dew's s**tlist? We have heard, in the public realm, how he loves the strategy of stoppage setups. How he is a part of the process in Brisbane, and can see how much he has grown as a player.

The real mystery is why did the Suns not trade him instead of letting him go for nothing. Would have been worth a pick in the 20's?

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Do clubs still have to spend a minimum of 95% of the cap? If so they need to ditch that rule, Gold Coast shouldn't be anywhere close to having cap issues with the lack of talent on their roster.

Allegily salary cap issues contributed.

I was a bit sceptical about this but even Browny mentioned it in the telecast on the weekend. What a horrible reality for their club to have to lose a gun player (whether Lyons or another) because of poor list management which happen before Dew's time. Taking nothing away from Fagan, at least he inherited a list that had talent on it and no cap pressure.

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

We should never have gotten rid of him. Half our board said "let him go, found his ceiling" and the other half said "our coaches are idiots, we're using him wrong"

Was a big, big fan. Is a fantastic kick in space and loves a goal. Good luck to you, hope you get the flag this year (if we don't make the 8)

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
I found his answer totally unconvincing tbh.

It’s not like Lyons is 31. He’s at his peak.

Dew’s logic seems to be “we had to let a good player go to see if his replacement is any good”.

He also said that their list is in a different place to ours. That might be true but anyone can look at them and see they are crying out for maturity and experience in the midfield.

I found his answer totally unconvincing tbh.

It’s not like Lyons is 31. He’s at his peak.

Dew’s logic seems to be “we had to let a good player go to see if his replacement is any good”.

He also said that their list is in a different place to ours. That might be true but anyone can look at them and see they are crying out for maturity and experience in the midfield.

Yep screams of personality clashes imo

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
IMO Stuey Dew puts the Goldie's side of the story well after the 12:30 point in this interview. It is a lot closer to win/win than many give credit to.

Like most internet people I'm not going to watch or listen to the source document, but to see win/win is funny - they gave him away for nothing... how is that a win??

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Dew can hardly tell the truth. Like:"we totally screwed up, got it absolutely wrong, let slip for ZIP- let me repeat- NOTHING, our best ball winner who has now gone on to play finals football when we, conversely, are running totally like last.

I mean, I'm only the head coach. What would I know.

And might I add where we have now dropped our remaining 2 best because they're off elsewhere".

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The poor list management to get to a stage where most of their experience was inside midfielders and the lack of foresight to trade him first. If we’d traded our first pick for him last year it would’ve been a good deal.

The biggest thing for me is that our guys are really good at spotting talents in players.

No matter what the suns salary cap issue is/was they need to hold onto the most talented and those with onfield leadership, and let the overpaid go. Clearly they thought Lyons was overpaid/without leadership capability and they were wrong.

Doesn't instil confidence in their ability to build a solid list.

Back