Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
**Update 23/11/19**

Thanks Jeebuz the trading/ pick swap period is done with until draft night because it really stuffs mock drafts.

Happy to take on board and open a discussion on any feedback but as always play nicely and treat others opinions with respect.

I'll keep my top 10 live picks here, plus matching bids, and try and keep it locked in until Wednesday unless thoughts change.

Rest of the first round picks, second round, third round etc. to follow in separate posts

PICK 1, GOLD COAST: MATT ROWELL / BALANCED MID / OAKLEIGH CHARGERS

Lock him in here. Anderson arguably the more impactful player of the expected top two but Rowell has long been mentioned as the number one and with the Gold Coast having both picks 1 and 2 it really is just a number for these guys.

Big game performer who turned it on in the TAC/ NAB Under 18 GF, winning back to back Best on Ground medals, the first player to ever do so in TAC Cup/ NAB League, achieving it in a premiership season in 2019 after narrowly missing a flag in his under age year. For an unde rager to win best afield in a losing grand finals speaks volumes of the talent of Rowell.

Accumulates the footy for fun and I think matching him and Noah Anderson together at the Suns bodes well on and off the field. If you were to add Bianco into that as well it's salivating.

PICK 2, GOLD COAST: NOAH ANDERSON / MID - FWD / OAKLEIGH CHARGERS

Killer one - two punch landed for the Suns as they nab the star players and best mates from Oakleigh.

Anderson is a high impact per possession player who will create headaches for opposition defenders when forward as a medium sized, high impact forward. Personally I'm not against him spending more time forward early in his AFL career in a role similar to what De Goey plays at Collingwood.

Can lock him in for an early season debut with Rowell.

PICK 3, MELBOURNE: HAYDEN YOUNG / GENERAL DEF / DANDENONG STINGRAYS

Now considered as the first live pick of the draft with the Suns expected to pair Rowell and Anderson up.

I'm a big wrap for Young and love his disposal by foot and willingness to take the game on by foot and hit a hard target.

For the role he plays which can bring inconsistencies, the difference between his best and worst performances is minimal.

I think he fits the Demons needs for general backs, outside class and elite disposers by foot very well. As mentioned he is a player that isn't afraid to use his foot skills and hit a hard 45 either, seen most evidently in that final game of the Under 18 championships. Eventually replaces Hibberd off HB and frees Salem up to a more wing based role alongside Ed Langdon.

A lot of warranted chat around Luke Jackson to the Demons here as well and I understand why that's the case because rucks like Jackson don't come around every day where as a half back like Young is more common across drafts.

It should make this a two player race I think. Both players have high quality traits to add and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Jackson go at 3, could the Suns swing a surprise and maybe even reach for Jackson at 2?

Without any inside knowledge I think the Demons have cooled on Caleb Serong at 3 but it will be interesting to see if the Demons bow to perceived pressure from other clubs and bid on Tom Green GWS honest. On the flip side the Demons have plenty of inside leaning players like Green on their list and the fact they could end up with Green if the Giants don't match isn't ideal with the likes of Young and Jackson still around.

In the mix: Luke Jackson.

PICK 4, GWS: LUKE JACKSON / RUCKMAN / EAST FREMANTLE

With a upcoming bid on Tom Green due, cant see the Swans not bidding, and the Giants likely going into 2019 and 2020 draft deficit I think it does force the hand a little for GWS here.

Lachie Ash and Hyaden Young in particular are probably more needs based as general defender/ outside types particularly given Shaw is nearing the end, Whitfield is out of contract at the end of 2020 and Zac Williams's game has gone from strength to strength as a midfielder but given they will likely end the draft with only 2 players I'd hate to see them make the same mistake as they did with Brodie Grundy in his draft year.

Depending on length of contracts Sam Jacobs is one longer term deal or multiple shorter term deals away from retirement, Mumford triggered a 2020 contract extension but shouldn't play near as many AFL games next year (good mentor for Jackson but), Briggs is still a progress work and Flynn will miss the first half of the season with an ACL.

A solid nod to the future here for GWS in Jackson. If they do bypass him or Melbourne already have drafted him than look for Lachie Ash or Hayden Young here.

PICK 5, GWS ACADEMY (matching Sydney bid): TOM GREEN / INSIDE MID / MARIST

If there hasn't already been a bid from Gold Coast or Melbourne I can't imagine the Swans wasting time and they will place a bid very swiftly.

At the Swans Green would be the next Josh P Kennedy. Good size already, competitor at the contest and accumulates the ball at will.

Green has used his superior body size to advantage in junior ranks and within the Giants Academy.

A bid match on Green here after selecting Jackson at live pick 4 would take GWS out of the draft from a live pick sense unless an earlier trade was done due to the points requirdd to match a bid taking them into a 2019 and 2020 draft deficit.

Really interesting to see if a bid is matched come draft night on Green. I think they need to match, alternatively however they do bat deep in the midfield when at full strength and have a similar type to Green in Hopper already on their list, can they fit them both?

Do they maybe not match and back themselves in to win him back via a trade at the end of his first or second contract?

PICK 6, SYDNEY: SAM FLANDERS / FWD - MID / GIPPY POWER

Flanders is someone who has shot up the draft boards post the championships due to strong form at NAB League level and testing at the Combine.

Was seen more as a mid to late first round pick earlier in the year I think but his form particularly comes finals time in the NAB League when the cream rises has seen him heavily linked to the Crows original pick 4 and Sydney's pick 5. Kicked 4 goals in a quarter against the highly rated and eventual premier Oakleigh Chargers.

After missing out on Tom Green the Swans have taken advantage of the next powerful midfielder in the explosive Flanders. Explosive and high impact he adds to the names of Heeney and Parker as midfielders that are dangerous forward at Sydney and ticks the boxes as a contested midfielder post JPK.

In the mix: Hayden Young, Lachie Ash, Caleb Serong.

PICK 7, ADELAIDE: DYLAN STEPHENS / OUTSIDE MID / NORWOOD

Made some much needed changes to their perceived one paced midfield in the trade period by off-loading depth players like Greenwood and Ellis Yolmen.

With those changes an ideal player here for the Crows would be the explosive Sam Flanders however with him off the board I think the Swans would be content with one of Hayden Young, Lachie Ash, Caleb Serong or the SA native in Dylan Stephens.

Part of Norwood's SANFL reserves premiership side in 2019 he got some good exposure in the senior side also, playing more outside and using his endurance, running power and classy disposal by foot on the wings while showing he could match it inside as well.

Compliments the likes of Sloane and the Crouch's in that Adelaide squad very well as would Lachie Ash who I'm not discounting here to the Crows either.

In the mix: Sam Flanders, Hayden Young, Lachie Ash, Caleb Serong.

PICK 8, FREMANTLE: LACHIE ASH / DEF - MID / MURRAY BUSHRANGERS

The Dockers gladly take Ash here after losing both of their best 22 wingman to Victorian clubs in the trade period.

The nephew of former Dockers coach Chris Connolly Ash will bring back in to the Dockers what they've lost in Brad Hill and Ed Langdon, just with more time needed to mature physically.

Has the natural talent and want to take the game on to make an early impression however it may be just as beneficial to use him in the WAFL early I think and prepare him for the bigger bodies of the AFL having come direct out of the NAB League program. If he was to bide his time in the seconds he wouldn;t be far away.

To match Ash with Deven Robertson (pick 9) and Liam Henry (Freo NGA) would please the Dockers faithful and new coach Longmuir.

The Dockers have been linked to Jeremy Sharp as a more outside midfielder or general defender however that is probably unlikely this early in the draft.

PICK 9, FREMANTLE: CALEB SERONG / MID - FWD / GIPPY POWER

Gone for the best available here instead of the local in Dev Robertson with the knowledge of adding Liam Henry in shortly.

In Serong the Dockers get a genuine mid - fwd who will bring pressure on the ground and in the air causing many an opposition headache.

His lack of size may cause some differing views from recruiters eyes but on talent alone deserves a top 10 pick.

PICK 10, CARLTON: BRODIE KEMP / UTILITY / BENDIGO PIONEERS

Great position here for Carlton.

You'd almost put him in cotton wool a bit and allow him some match fitness in the VFL in the back half of 2020 with a possible AFL debut if he is ready.

With his size and versatility I think he offers the better value of the two. Come 2021 you'd have no hesitation in adding him into the midfield mix with Cripps, Walsh and company.

PICK 11, FREMANTLE NGA (matching Carlton bid): LIAM HENRY / SMALL FWD / CLAREMONT

Fremantle jumped up to Melbourne's previously held 8 for this reason, to beat a Henry bid with two live picks before Carlton, Melbourne and the Bulldogs in particular would strike.

Live pick 9 isn't to early for a Henry bid and Carlton are obviously keen to invest in the general forward area having unsuccessfully tried to secure Tom Papley and Jack Martin in the trade period, having been linked to former Tiger Dan Butler, and acquiring Eddie Betts via a trade

Having used their two live top 10 picks Fremantle match without hesitation.

PICK 12, MELBOURNE: CODY WEIGHTMAN / SMALL FWD / DANDENONG STINGRAYS

The Demons would have loved Caleb Serong to still be on the board but they still gain a high pressure forward in Cody Weightman.

Similar to Liam Henry he is a natural around goal, is dangerous at ground level and in the air, applies plenty of frontal pressure defensively and on the scoreboard.

Last edited:

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pick 13, HAWTHORN: DEVON ROBERTSON / INSIDE MID / PERTH DEMONS

The Hawks look to add to their midfield stocks here before a bif comes in for Finn Maginness.

Captain of the Championship winning WA State side at the Under 18's he is a natural leader who leads with actions and words, similar to Joel Selwood I'd say.

In the mix: Fisher McAsey

Pick 14, PORT ADELAIDE: FISHER McASEY / KEY DEF / SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS
The Power lost Dougal Howard among others during the trade period and essentially can replace him long term with the best key position player from the draft pool in McAsey.

A sound investment into their key defensive stocks and in particular key defense for the next 10 - 15 yr

PICK 15, WESTERN BULLDOGS: MILES BERGMAN / GEN FWD / SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS

Bergman has been a bolter later in the year and scored an invite to the first evening of the draft, a good indicator that clubs within the first round are looking at him but in the case of Curtis Taylor in 2018 he missed out on the first night after getting an invite, so nothing is certain.

The Bulldogs nailed some key position deficiencies in the trade period with Josh Bruce and Alex Keath.

Add in Bergman and they get a rangy and athletic half forward who is a long kick, only rivalled by Will Gould for distance covered from the draft crop. Is still growing and putting on size.

Pick 16: GEELONG, JOSH WORRELL / KPP / SANDRINGHAM DRAGONS

Their seems to be a list hole at Geelong in the young KPP category. Henderson was de-lsited, Taylor is near the end but would work well as a mentor for Worrell, they've brought in Jenkins as a short term fix post Hawkins because of extra years on his side (I think). You're not getting anywhere near a young Tom Hawkins from pick 15 in this draft but.

Worrell is strong athletically and is arguably more suited to a defensive role, reading the game well and getting into right positions, he works hard and was the leading goal kicker for Metro at the Under-18 Champs so can go both ways.

Wells does tend to shy away from young talls and does tend to look for mature gold later in the draft which is why Worrell is a little un Geelong like here but it does make sense to lock him in.

Pick 17: GOLD COAST, TRENT RIVERS / DEF - MID / EAST FREMANTLE

After going Rowell and Anderson early I've decided to bring in Rivers here as a general down back who can play midfield as well.

In Anderson and Rivers Gold Coast have locked in some really powerful players who are dependable players in multiple roles who travel the ground well.

Class and composure for the Suns from the back half while he can accumulate well and uses it well by foot.

In the mix: Trent Bianco as another more general down back or outside midfield as a triple threat Charger with Rowell and Anderson.

Pick 18, PORT ADELAIDE: TRENT BIANCO / DEF - MID / OAKLEIGH CHARGERS

The small and diminutive Bianco has been matched with the KPD McAsey.

The premiership captain at Oakleigh who led a star studded team with Rowell and Anderson and has leadership traits in spades to bring to whatever club he ends up at. Unassuming leader really when you consider what was around him.

Another elite user of the ball for the Power as either a rebounding defender or running wingman who adds to that list of first round talent from the 2018 and 19 drafts.

In the mix: Jeremy Sharp and Will Day

Pick 19, HAWTHORN F/S: FINN MAGINNESS / INSIDE MID / SANDY DRAGONS

This is around about the right area for a Maginness bid and the Hawks having already locked away McAsey will comfortably match the bid.

Had a very strong draft year and combine and has firmed as a first to second round bid because of that.

Ticks a lot of boxes for the Hawks. Good tank and burst of speed, accumulates the ball well and has the size already to bring those traits in at AFL level. Under the tutelage of Clarkson and the Hawthorn midfield assistants will become a very good inside midfielder for many years I think. Match the bid and run Hawks.

PICK 20, GEELONG: COOPER STEPHENS / INSIDE MID / GEELONG FALCONS

Missed a fair chunk of his draft year unfortunately including the Championships but was able to test very well at the Combine and I think the Cats would love him here looking longer term post Joel Selwood and would be seen as a future leader like Selwood also.

A big bodied ball winner his draft projection has been affected by missing the majority of his draft year but I think his dedication to his rehabilitation and testing results at the combine keep him in that top 20 mix to Geelong at 19 or Richmond at 20.

Someone that I'd love at West Coast but a man can dream right.

Powerful at the contest ball-winner who uses the ball effectively and bursts from stoppages. A young clearance mid for the Cats post Selwood and when Dangerfield plays more forward.

Wouldn't discount more outside types here for the Cats either with great skills by foot like Trent Bianco, Will Day or Jeremy Sharp.

PICK 21, PORT ADELAIDE: JEREMY SHARP / DEF - MID / EAST FREMANTLE

The Power match Bianco and Sharp together.

Port get another outside type with a bit more size than Bianco but similar traits on the outside with neat, penetrating delivery inside 50 from the half back or wing.

They'll add Mead in as a Father Son before next pick in the third round.

PICK 22: RICHMOND: JAY RANTALL / BALANCED MID / GWV REBELS

The running man from the Rebels he will bring a balance to the Richmond midfield but his running power would obviously be best used outside.

Converted over from basketball at a similar time to Luke Jackson, his natural skills in traffic from basketball have translated into AFL as a midfielder seamlessly.

Cue the Scott Pendlebury attributes.

Last edited:

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
SECOND ROUND

PICK 23, GOLD COAST: WILL GOULD / GEN DEF / GLENELG
PICK 24, BRISBANE: WILL DAY / GEN DEF - OUTSIDE MID / WEST ADELAIDE
PICK 25, ADELAIDE - SAM DE KONING / KPD / DANDENONG STINGRAYS
PICK 26, PORT ADELAIDE F / S: JACKSON MEAD / MID - FWD / WOODVILLE WEST TORRENS
PICK 27, ADELAIDE: HARRY SCHOENBERG / INSIDE MID / WOODVILLE WEST TORRENS
PICK 28, GEELONG: MITCH O'NIELL / OUTSIDE MID / NORTH LAUNCESTON
PICK 29, SYDNEY: KYSIAH PICKETT / GEN FWD / WOODVILLE WEST TORRENS
PICK 30, NORTH MELBOURNE: DYLAN WILLIAMS / GEN FWD / OAKLEIGH CHARGERS

PICK 31, NORTH MELBOURNE: DYSON HILDER / KPD / NORTH ADELAIDE
PICK 32, ADELAIDE: CAMERON TAHENY / GEN FWD / NORWOOD
PICK 33, BRISBANE: HUGO RALPHSMITH / GEN FWD - OUTSIDE MID / SANDY DRAGONS
PICK 34, ESSENDON: SAM PHILP / INSIDE MID / NORTHERN KNIGHTS
PICK 35, SYDNEY: THOMSON DOW / BALANCED MID / BENDIGO PIONEERS
PICK 36, ESSENDON: HARRISON JONES / KEY FORWARD / CALDER CANNONS
PICK 37, BRISBANE: NED CAHILL / GEN FWD / DANDENONG STINGRAYS
PICK 38, COLLINGWOOD: MITCH GEORGEIADES / TALL FWD / SUBIACO
PICK 39, GEELONG - DARCY CASSAR / BALANCED MID / WESTERN JETS
PICK 40, ADELAIDE: ELIJAH TAYLOR / GEN FWD / PERTH DEMONS
PICK 41, RICHMOND: BROCK SMITH / GEN DEF / GIPPY POWER
PICK 42, RICHMOND: KARL FINLAY / KEY DEFENDER / NORTH ADELAIDE

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
waiting.gif

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hey Gunner, certainly the intention yep.

Am working through some rationale for picks at the moment but I’ve got Richmond selecting Cooper Stephens at the moment.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Updated first round that I’ll look to update into post 1 as soon as possible.

Rowell
Anderson
Young
Green (bid match)
Flanders
Serong
Ash
Henry (bid match)
Weightman
Kemp
Dylan Stephens
McAsey
Gould
Jackson
Robertson
Rivers
Worell
Bergman
Cooper Stephens

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Thats exactly who im wanting at our 1st selection

Now if you could possibly work in Sam De Koning at pick #38

Can see why you’d be into him. As mentioned he will make a strong impact at the clearances. Future captain material I think to.

Stretching the friendship with SDK haha.

Think De Koning will be off the board by than but I’ll keep it in mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Round 2 update

PICK 20: GOLD COAST - Jeremy Sharp
PICK 21: BRISBANE - Harrison Jones
PICK 22: FREMANTLE - Will Day
PICK 23: HAWTHORN F/S - Finn Maginess, POINTS VALUE TO COME.
PICK 24: ADELAIDE - Jay Rantall
PICK 25: GEELONG - Dylan Williams

PICK 26: SYDNEY - Trent Bianco
PICK 27 & 28: NORTH - Mitch O’Niell & Sam De Koning
PICK 29: PORT ADELAIDE F/S - Jackson Mead, POINTS VALUE TO COME.
PICK 30: ADELAIDE - Cameron Taheny

PICK 31: ESSENDON - Thomson Dow
PICK 32: SYDNEY - Elijah Taylor
PICK 33: ESSENDON - Harry Schoenberg
PICK 34: BRISBANE - Jack Mahony
PICK 35: COLLINGWOOD - Jake Riccardi

PICK 36: GEELONG - Sam Philp
PICK 37: ADELAIDE - Dyson Hilder
PICKS 38 & 39: RICHMOND - Brock Smith and Karl Finlay
PICK 40: GWS - Charlie Comben

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
It’s not a getgaff mock without us disagreeing at some stage Briz, normality has been restored :)

Intrigued as to what you would look for in a second rounder given that Trent Rivers is their already.
I liked the Rivers selection in the first round. With who was left at that stage it would of been Rivers or Cooper Stephens for me.

Our first pick in the second, I probably would have gone Rantall, with Bianco being the other consideration.

At 34, I would have just gone with academy product Noah Cumberland. Or Flynn Perez.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
I liked the Rivers selection in the first round. With who was left at that stage it would of been Rivers or Cooper Stephens for me.

Our first pick in the second, I probably would have gone Rantall, with Bianco being the other consideration.

At 34, I would have just gone with academy product Noah Cumberland. Or Flynn Perez.

More of an outside leaning mid. Absolutely fair call.

I was thinking of an outside mid with the Jack Mahony selection but ended up settling with a fwd - mid.

Happy to take it on board your feedback but.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Round 1 update

PICK 1: GOLD COAST - Matt Rowell
PICK 2: GOLD COAST - Noah Anderson
PICK 3: MELBOUYRNE - Hayden Young
PICK 4: GWS ACADEMY - Tom Green (LOSING: Pick 6, PTS GAINED: 123.8 - Equivalent Pick 62).
PICK 5 ADELAIDE - Sam Flanders
PICK 6: SYDNEY - Caleb Serong
PICK 7: FREMANTLE - Dev Robertson
PICK 8: MELBOURNE: Dylan Stephens
PICK 9: FREMANTLE NGA - Liam Henry
PICK 10: CARLTON - Lachlan Ash

PICK 11: HAWTHORN - Fisher Mcasey
PICK 12: PORT ADELAIDE - Will Gould
PICK 13: BULLDOGS - Cody Weightman
PICK 14: GEELONG - Brodie Kemp
PICK 15: GOLD COAST - Luke Jackson
PICK 16: BRISBANE - Trent Rivers
PICK 17: GEELONG - Josh Worrell
PICK 18: PORT ADELAIDE - Jeremy Sharp/ Miles Bergman
PICK 19: RICHMOND - Cooper Stephens

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Round 1 update

PICK 1: GOLD COAST - Matt Rowell
PICK 2: GOLD COAST - Noah Anderson
PICK 3: MELBOUYRNE - Hayden Young
PICK 4: GWS ACADEMY - Tom Green (LOSING: Pick 6, PTS GAINED: 123.8 - Equivalent Pick 62).
PICK 5 ADELAIDE - Sam Flanders
PICK 6: SYDNEY - Caleb Serong
PICK 7: FREMANTLE - Dev Robertson
PICK 8: MELBOURNE: Dylan Stephens
PICK 9: FREMANTLE NGA - Liam Henry
PICK 10: CARLTON - Lachlan Ash

PICK 11: HAWTHORN - Fisher Mcasey
PICK 12: PORT ADELAIDE - Will Gould
PICK 13: BULLDOGS - Cody Weightman
PICK 14: GEELONG - Brodie Kemp
PICK 15: GOLD COAST - Luke Jackson
PICK 16: BRISBANE - Trent Rivers
PICK 17: GEELONG - Josh Worrell
PICK 18: PORT ADELAIDE - Jeremy Sharp/ Miles Bergman
PICK 19: RICHMOND - Cooper Stephens
I'd b e stoked if the Tigers could pick up Stevens, but I think Geelong will pick him up.

Oh, the points surplus from the GWS match for Greene don't convert to another pick, they get held over until the end of the draft or banked for future drafts.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Round 2 update

PICK 20: GOLD COAST - Trent Biaco
PICK 21: BRISBANE - Jay Rantall/ Miles Bergman
PICK 22: FREMANTLE- Cameron Taheny
PICK 23: HAWTHORN F/S - Finn Maginnes (LOSING: Pick 30, PTS GAINED: 22 pts - Equivalent 4th ROUND).
PICK 24: PORT ADELAIDE F/S - Jackson Mead (LOSING: Pick 30, PTS GAINED: 31 pts - Equivalent 4th ROUND).
PICK 25: ADELAIDE - Sam De Koning
PICK 26: GEELONG - Miles Bergman
PICK 27: SYDNEY - Will Day
PICK 28: NORTH MELBOURNE - Dylan Williams
PICK 29: NORTH MELBOURNE - Kysiah Pickett
PICK 30: ADELAIDE - Harry Schoenberg

PICK 11: ESSENDON - Charlie Comben
PICK 32: SYDNEY - Dyson Hilder
PICK 33: ESSENDON - Sam Philp
PICK 34: BRISBANE - Hugo Ralphsmith
PICK 35: COLLINGWOOD - Jake Riccardi
PICK 36: GEELONG - Mitch O'Niell