Travel Getting a British Passport

HotSausage69

Premium Platinum
Aug 25, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Wondering if anyone here has gone through the process of getting a British Passport from Australia before. I've been looking through the UK gov website trying to find out if I even qualify and I'm finding it all a bit confusing. These are the facts:
- I'm 25
- My father was born in the UK and moved here when he was 9. He's not an Australian Citizen.
- My mother is Australian
- Parents weren't married when I was born, got married later on and then divorced.
- My grandparents on my dad's side were both born in the UK.

If I can apply for a British passport, it looks like it would be through descent on my fathers side, but I'm still not sure if I qualify because my parents weren't married when I was born.

Has anyone here gone through this process before? How long did it take? What sort of documents did you need to provide? Even if you're aware of a service that can help go through the process with me as most of the websites I've looked at seem to go in roundabouts and I think it would be more helpful speaking to someone directly. If anyone can shed any light at all I would appreciate it as I need to start this process ASAP if it's possible.

Mar 31, 2013
Ballarat
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
From my limited experience, so this may not be 100 percent correct, but the answer is yes. Fairly sure proof of your birth certificate and your Father's birth certificate should be enough. The fact your parents weren't married shouldn't be an issue at all.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Important part is that your father is born in the UK and you're Grandparents are born there as well. You are eligible for the passport.

My father holds a UK Passport but was born here to UK born parents, so I can't apply for a UK passport.

Keep in mind however with Brexit, the UK passport is about to loss the European travel benefits (ie. free movement) that it currently holds.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
My wife has one I think hers took less time than my Australian one

Irish is the good one after Brexit though

From my limited experience, so this may not be 100 percent correct, but the answer is yes. Fairly sure proof of your birth certificate and your Father's birth certificate should be enough. The fact your parents weren't married shouldn't be an issue at all.
yep. i know a guy who hardly knew his dad but tracked him down so he could get a British passport

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Important part is that your father is born in the UK and you're Grandparents are born there as well. You are eligible for the passport.

My father holds a UK Passport but was born here to UK born parents, so I can't apply for a UK passport.

Keep in mind however with Brexit, the UK passport is about to loss the European travel benefits (ie. free movement) that it currently holds.

This frustratingly only became the case for those born (from memory) after 1 Jan 1982. I was in the same boat as you, except my father never took up the UK passport.

When I looked into it probably 15 years ago now I was pretty sure that my older sister (born in 1981) was eligible on account of grandparents being born in England, but as I was born after that 1982 change I wasn't eligible.

As you quite rightly point out though, it doesn't mean much now with Brexit anyway, the UK passport will be no more useful than an Australian one in a couple of months.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As you quite rightly point out though, it doesn't mean much now with Brexit anyway, the UK passport will be no more useful than an Australian one in a couple of months.
Is this actually true, though?

I have heard many people repeat this claim but none of them have ever provided a reliable source.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Is this actually true, though?

I have heard many people repeat this claim but none of them have ever provided a reliable source.
They wont know until after its finalised
But if the UK wants to restrict other EU members they will also be restricted.

Ireland will be BAU as they stay in the EU
My wife is eligible for UK Aus and Irish so she will get an Irish after brexit,so we can hang around in Europe if we want to.
Her brother got an Irish to spend 6 months in Croatia every year

It will change if borders are re-implemented which they will have to do,that will also effect the Aus passport

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's becoming incredibly tight, even for people with a British parent.

Other European countries honour those they colonised. The English don't.

If they want us to be connected as a Commonwealth country, to abide to the Queen, then we should be able to get a British passport. At the absolute least, if you can prove majority British ancestry, you should be able to get a UK passport. Only my parents and two grandparents were born in Australia – everyone else is a bonafide pom. Why can't I get a passport?

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
It's becoming incredibly tight, even for people with a British parent.

Other European countries honour those they colonised. The English don't.

If they want us to be connected as a Commonwealth country, to abide to the Queen, then we should be able to get a British passport. At the absolute least, if you can prove majority British ancestry, you should be able to get a UK passport. Only my parents and two grandparents were born in Australia – everyone else is a bonafide pom. Why can't I get a passport?

The Commonwealth doesn't mean s**t except a very poor man's Olympics every 4 years. Most countries in it don't have the Queen.

Back