Running/Fitness getting in shape for Pre-season

Remove this Banner Ad

I want to do some sprint training, would something like for example
10x50m on 30 seconds,
7x70m on 45sec,
5x100m on 1min

Be an effective training program?

well I dont know if its the best one or not, but the club I did try out for are really mixing up all the different excercises, though on Monday night and after a bunch of handball and kicking drills (so we were already getting a little wear in the legs), we had to sprint 20 metres 10 times, so you'd sprint, and then slowly jog back to where you started, and immediately do it again with no rest. Then after those 10 sprints we got a 2 minute rest, and then had to repeat the same thing for 10 sprints of 40 metres, we got another 2 minute rest and then had to sprint 80 metres 5 times. After a 1 or 2 minute rest (couldnt remember by this stage) we then had to run 100 metres 3 times.

Needless to say I was absolutely knackered by the end of this, though some guys looked like they had just been warming up...

Also at the end of every session we also have to do lunges for about 15 metres 3 times, and 20 squats at least once, and man those excercises really work your muscles as they always feel the hardest (and I dont think its because its at the end of the session).

Well I hope that helps anyway, cause yeah without any prep work before this pre-season started I wouldnt have lived past the first training session.

start with tempo runs

60 - 70% pace x 50m x 10
increase to 15 over 5 sessions
increase to 60m x 10
repeat until at 100m x 15

long runs are ancient

I'm considering playing football for the muppet team in a local side.

I've been lifting weights for almost a couple years now, so I feel I'll have the strength advantage over most people I'd be up against (given it'll be a low division) but since I only ever played one season of Under 13's before now, I realise that I need to make up for skill/game-reading deficiencies with fitness.

So, to clarify on what you've recommended above, what kind of split should I do for this running? Like, do it every week day and take the weekend off for rest (which is what I do for my weight training)? Also what is the maximum break between each run, and should the break be walking or jogging?

And do you have any recommendations on what to do once 100m x 15 is reached?

I'm considering playing football for the muppet team in a local side.

I've been lifting weights for almost a couple years now, so I feel I'll have the strength advantage over most people I'd be up against (given it'll be a low division) but since I only ever played one season of Under 13's before now, I realise that I need to make up for skill/game-reading deficiencies with fitness.

So far in my very few limited training runs, I've found that upper body muscle mass counts for very little if you cant keep up with your opponent and stay close to get the fist in for a spoil in the first place. I'd definately be putting more time now into the legs. I did a 3km run tonight and by the end of it I could barely stand let alone then try and compete in a contest which all that extra muscle is not going to be of great use. I also thought running 1km every day would be a great start, and while it certainly helped my leg muscles get used to the idea of running again, you definately need to do a few sprints interspersed with jogging and then a few hard 3 minute runs with walking intervals of 1 minute. And then just when you think you're done, try kicking the footy around at targets set up around the ground. It really tests your ability to kick under simulated match and fatique conditions.

So, to clarify on what you've recommended above, what kind of split should I do for this running? Like, do it every week day and take the weekend off for rest (which is what I do for my weight training)? Also what is the maximum break between each run, and should the break be walking or jogging?

And do you have any recommendations on what to do once 100m x 15 is reached?

I would definately NOT do hard running for 5 days straight, being like yourself and getting back into it after so long you definately a rest day after each hard training session. Doing any more than this will probably lead to an injury or mean that you cant train/run as hard the next time which makes it hard to get fitter. One thing I do like a lot about the club Im trying out for is that they constantly mix up the running regimes. I think that doing the same thing over and over again will just lead to you getting a combinatin of bored and frustrated and then question how much you really want it. Always jog a slow lap or two of an oval, then do a sprint workout like my post above and then kick a footy around a bit. 2 days later do your slow laps and then try running as hard as you can for 3 minutes, walk for 1 minute and do this another 2 times, then do some kicking. 2 days after this do your slow laps and then some other sprint work like the others have posted.

I think its best to have 1 rest day after each session with the odd 2 day break, but keep mixing up the training sessions with long runs in one session and then sprint excercises the next and just keep constantly changing the type of long runs or sprint regimes. Well I hope that helps you as much as every one else has helped me

Rummy Thanks for the help. I intend to buy a treadmill very soon as I work out at home and the only cardio equipment I have is a Cross Trainer (or elliptical machine, whatever you know it as), which I feel is better as you don't have to worry about the impact on joints, but of course the only thing that properly prepares you for running is running.:confused:

Rummy Thanks for the help. I intend to buy a treadmill very soon as I work out at home and the only cardio equipment I have is a Cross Trainer (or elliptical machine, whatever you know it as), which I feel is better as you don't have to worry about the impact on joints, but of course the only thing that properly prepares you for running is running.:confused:

Yeah I did try to get into shape by going to a gym about 6 months back and I found using the treadmill pretty easy and could go on that thing for ages, however once I started 'real' running, I couldnt go anywhere near as long or as hard. I've found it to be very different, plus it doesnt help prepare you for the nature of most drills/practice games which involve walking for a little bit, then sudden bursts of sprinting, with the odd jog, and then the painful 100 metre sprint to make a lead or chase and shutdown someone who got loose. Plus from the very first training session I got these massive blisters on the arches of my feet from all the sudden turning/pivoting along with the combination of running 3km overall throughout one session, which my normal training didnt prepare me for, and its really set me back as I then cant train in the long break between training sessions, as they need time to heal. So just also be wary of that sort thing which a treadmill wont prepare you for

I think the treadmill is good because I don't actually dread it, I look forward to it,
get some tunes cranking and churn out 5kms or so. Then have a short box after treadmilling.

I usually get into shape during the off season using the treadmill and do some leg weights
for a month or so, then when Im in shape I concentrate on hill runs, sprints, then plyometrics.

Boxing is one of the better fat burners aswell.

I think the treadmill is good because I don't actually dread it, I look forward to it,
get some tunes cranking and churn out 5kms or so. Then have a short box after treadmilling.

I usually get into shape during the off season using the treadmill and do some leg weights
for a month or so, then when Im in shape I concentrate on hill runs, sprints, then plyometrics.

Boxing is one of the better fat burners aswell.

treadmill alters your running mechanics. if you actually want to transfer your running to land, then i'd avoid it completely.

running for football.

ispeed kills and it is the difference maker in many sporting activities. even in a sport such as australian football, most of the running to contests will be short and if you can get that 2 or 3 step head start, your opponent won't be able to cover that unless the two of you are indeed running 60-100m. that's not to say that aerobic endurance isn't important, but the way some amateur clubs flog their players doesn't directly correspond to gameday situations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back