Getting rid of spyware

Remove this Banner Ad

Scottroo

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2002
2,915
3,462
Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
My mate thought he'd be funny and send me some spyware program, so he could hack into my comp. now my comps stuffed and i cant get rid of the program, anyone know where i can download something that can remove this?


EDIT by Appleyard:

Ad-Aware SE 1.06 was found to be the best spyware removal tool.

Read about the testing here:
http://linkelf.com/069a4

If you don't have Ad Aware get it right now. It is FREE.

The Download.com Spyware Centre is a good place to start if your computer's performance is down.
 

rizzo

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 11, 2003
14,342
1,035
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Melbourne Heart, Raptors
Re: Spyware...

Search for spybot Search and Destroy
 

Log in to remove this ad.

PREDAT0R

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 27, 2002
13,606
8,154
2004 Premiers
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers, Newcastle
Re: Spyware...

Yeah, Adaware is the go.

2.48 Meg download (click on the link above), runs pretty fast, removes pretty much everything.
 

Jabber

Premiership Player
Jun 28, 2002
3,247
8
NSW
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Coast Eagles
Re: Spyware...

67709.jpg



Pred said:
Yeah, Adaware is the go.

2.48 Meg download (click on the link above), runs pretty fast, removes pretty much everything.

What he said - Most reliable I've found.
 

nonchalance

Premiership Player
Mar 14, 2002
3,243
0
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Re: Spyware...

I run both Adaware and Spybot.

Both pick up things the other misses occasionally - although Adaware misses them a lot less often than Spybot.
 

Scorpio

Club Legend
May 28, 2004
1,453
1,491
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Re: Spyware...

Just an idea but perhaps a Mod could put up a sticky ontop of this board giving advice on removing adware and spyware. All it would need are links to getting ad-aware and spybot.

It would then be easy for people on bigfooty to find out how to get rid of alot of the annoying stuff, without actually having to type in their problem.
 

feher

Premiership Player
Sep 29, 2003
3,426
6
Adelaide
Other Teams
HFC 9xAFL Pre, Liverpool
Re: Spyware...

Scorpio said:
Just an idea but perhaps a Mod could put up a sticky ontop of this board giving advice on removing adware and spyware. All it would need are links to getting ad-aware and spybot.

It would then be easy for people on bigfooty to find out how to get rid of alot of the annoying stuff, without actually having to type in their problem.
love it, along with this site: http://www.spywareguide.com/blockfile.php
 

Unwritten_Law

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2002
5,310
5
Premiership
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Re: Spyware...

You should also update them regularly. I downloaded both Spybot and Adaware a while back and today I downloaded the new Adaware to get rid of an annoying file the old programs didn't recognise and it found 97 files.
 

mighty mick

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 10, 2002
8,452
315
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
aussie cricket team
Re: Spyware...

anyone else been hit with the spot on search bar

its a pest and a half and keeps coming back

has something to do with broadcast pc and btv.exe
 

feher

Premiership Player
Sep 29, 2003
3,426
6
Adelaide
Other Teams
HFC 9xAFL Pre, Liverpool
Re: Spyware...

mighty mick said:
anyone else been hit with the spot on search bar

its a pest and a half and keeps coming back

has something to do with broadcast pc and btv.exe
nope, try:

http://www.spyany.com/program/article_spw_rm_SpotOn.html

http://www.inet-mates.com/articles/3_rm_spoton.html

try the 2nd link first as it avoids going into the registry.

and one more link for good measure, sounds the same way to get rid of it as the 2nd:

http://www.spywareguide.com/product_show.php?id=505
 

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mighty mick

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 10, 2002
8,452
315
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
aussie cricket team
Re: Spyware...

thanks for the links hope i have better luck

cheers mighty mick
 

mighty mick

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 10, 2002
8,452
315
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
aussie cricket team
norton antivirus 2004 got rid of the spoton problem. if it doesnt get rid of it it will show you how.
 

daddy_4_eyes

Premium Platinum
Dec 7, 2000
10,419
4,611
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
I've got these damn popups on my WinXP, telling me I have spyware and I need to visit their website (www.spw7.com) to get rid of it. I've tried everything under the sun, virus scans, ad aware, spybot search & destroy, regScrub...quite a few. None of them work. I finally gave in and visited the pop-ups website, only to find that they are selling their product. Essentially, they've invaded my computer, and the only way I can see of getting rid of it is to buy their product.

Anyone know of a way to fix this? I'm desperate here, I can't even run any games as the pop-ups come on at all times.
 

Pantsless

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2003
3,913
36
Auckland, New Zealand
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Storm, Arse, Victory
daddy_4_eyes said:
I've got these damn popups on my WinXP, telling me I have spyware and I need to visit their website (www.spw7.com) to get rid of it. I've tried everything under the sun, virus scans, ad aware, spybot search & destroy, regScrub...quite a few. None of them work. I finally gave in and visited the pop-ups website, only to find that they are selling their product. Essentially, they've invaded my computer, and the only way I can see of getting rid of it is to buy their product.

Anyone know of a way to fix this? I'm desperate here, I can't even run any games as the pop-ups come on at all times.

I assume this is under control, but if still annoying you or anyone else, make sure you go to Windows Update (if you run Windows of course) and make your PC do an update.

MS has released alot of security patches which stop hese companies invoking the Windows Messenger program and giving you these errors.

When I re-installed XP and then connected to the net, I started getting them all the time. As soon as I had installed the Windows patches, they stopped happening.
 

Red_Devil

Club Legend
Jan 10, 2004
2,512
5
Melton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne - Pheonix
I have ad-aware, norton anti-virus, zone alarm pro with antivirus and I still can't pick up this ********ing spyware ******** on my computer. The homepage for it is searchweb2.com... Every time I go on the web like normal, instead of there being a link to say the sports board on BF, it would be a search (search engine) to a sports board through there ********ing program. I can't get rid of it. It's giving me the ********s! Has anyone had this and how did you get rid of it?

Justin.
 

feher

Premiership Player
Sep 29, 2003
3,426
6
Adelaide
Other Teams
HFC 9xAFL Pre, Liverpool
Red_Devil_04 said:
I have ad-aware, norton anti-virus, zone alarm pro with antivirus and I still can't pick up this ********ing spyware ******** on my computer. The homepage for it is searchweb2.com... Every time I go on the web like normal, instead of there being a link to say the sports board on BF, it would be a search (search engine) to a sports board through there ********ing program. I can't get rid of it. It's giving me the ********s! Has anyone had this and how did you get rid of it?

Justin.

After you have finally get rid of it, get this host file:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

This will block most of those rodents, but you will need to check the site to update it often, it also blocks ads, the other you can use is:

http://www.spywareguide.com/blockfile.php

No idea which spyware it blocks but i am sure lots of them, use them both for double the protection ;)

Also get Spybot Search and Destroy, see if that helps in getting rid of it
 

Remove this Banner Ad