Getting rid of spyware

Remove this Banner Ad

I downloaded mozilla and somehow downloaded omiga search engine

what a nightmare to get rid of.

has anyone had success getting rid of this?

Have got the same thing by downloading a P2P movie.
Cannot get rid of it. Just tried Malwarebytes it too couldn't fix it.
Have tried restoring computer to a previous date, deleting from registry, nothing seems to work.

...help:oops:

Have tried restoring computer to a previous date, deleting from registry, nothing seems to work.

I watched a YouTube vid on how to get rid of it.

I kept switching between their method, software uninstall and searches for the files on the c drive.

I will post the video link, if you can't find it, on my return to perth.

I watched a YouTube vid on how to get rid of it.

I kept switching between their method, software uninstall and searches for the files on the c drive.

I will post the video link, if you can't find it, on my return to perth.

Yep found it thanks Power Raid:thumbsu:

...and also found that 2 of my IE shortcuts were infested with omega-plus text in the "target field" [right click on shortcut]
All fixed now.

Yep found it thanks Power Raid:thumbsu:

...and also found that 2 of my IE shortcuts were infested with omega-plus text in the "target field" [right click on shortcut]
All fixed now.

After you follow the procedure, search your drive for omiga and the corporations name (I forget) who made it and delete. Repeat the process and then uninstall IE, Firefox and other browsers. Repeat again, do a scan and then reinstall.

Oh and curse a couple of times in between.

I recently copped that nasty little rootkit bastard called ZeroAccess. It writes itself into your Master Boot Record so it loads as soon as your operating system does.

Best thing to do (if operating Windows 7 like me, anyway) is to get your W7 installation disk, boot from that after changing your BIOS to boot from cd/dvd first, and select 'repair computer' when it gets to the installation screen.

Go the 'command prompt' option. The drive should read X:\ instead of C:\, but don't worry. It's meant to do that.

Load up 'bootrec.exe'

type 'bootrec /fixmbr' to fix the Master Boot Record

type 'bootrec /fixboot' to fix the boot sector

Further info found here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

You'll have to uninstall and re-install all your anti-virus programs as they'll be compromised. All kinds of ant-malware and anti-rootkit goodies are found here (for windows, anyway)

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows/

We all need to be careful when downloading apps from some well known web sites as they want to download more than we ask for. I went to download a new version of Java this morning and found a check box that if left checked will also download Amazon as a search engine and make it my default. The issue is that you are not prompted and asked if you would like Amazon, you get it unless you say no. Adobe use a similar tactic.

There is probably not an issue with the Amazon search engine as one can simply change the default browser settings in Windows and uninstall the app but why should we have to stuff around with something we didn't ask for in the first place?

As for the omiga-plus uninstall I am not sure how that would go in Windows 10 because it uses MS Edge as the default search engine and you cannot uninstall it. W10 comes with Cortana and Edge. You can shut that pest Cortana down, as many of us have done, and make another browser your default in lieu of Edge but you cannot uninstall either. Apparently European Union consumer laws are the only thing that has stopped Gates from making Edge the only option in W10.

Every week I run my virus-scanner, I get the same 3 threats pop up. I quarantine/delete them but the next week they are back again.

I don't visit any dodgy sites so I can only presume I picked up something nasty at some point and the virus scanner is only detecting/deleting part of it, and leaving something that keeps on reinstalling it. Any tips how to get rid of it?

FWIW I use AdAware Antivirus (free version), Microsoft Security Essentials and Spybot Search & Destroy.

Some free anti apps have their own bastardware that consumes the machines energy.
AVG free had conduit at one stage. Not sure about adaware.

Delete your temp internet files. Boot into safe mode and run Malwarebytes

Download Hijackthis then run it with OS in safemode
Careful what you delete! Check Google for ID before deleting anything then recheck ID

Last edited:
Worst case scenario, download any needed software on another machine to a USB stick you can quarantine after which wont be need done most the time.
Boot the machine, transfer the software and install.
Reboot into safemode and run software.
A lot of the bad bastards need internet access to reload as you are isolating.
Booting into Safemode prevents internet access and only runs essentials.
Then much the malware can be deleted not excluding rootkits.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Running in safemode denies most bad bastards access to the internet and disables their capacity to run.
You can then remove them a number of ways.

It sounds like you need to jump into safemode and gas axe it out in regedit.
Don'touch if not sure.

Get a good quality Anti spyware software such as Kaspersky or Trend Micro.

Get a good quality VPN to help protect yourself from risky software

Remove this Banner Ad

Back