Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 23, 2000
Spanish Announcers table
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Since I upset a few with my last post
eek.gif

I thought that a more mundane topic might do,
such as, should the bounce go and be replaced by throwing the ball up?

From a traditional viewpoint Id probably prefer to see it stay at least to start of games. But the way that some of these umps are so inadequate at being able to get any consitency to a straight up and down bounce, well I leaning towards throwing it up for everywhere else.
The umps do have the power to recall a bounce but how many times do you ever see that. Not many because they are to damn embaressed to own up to "yeah I stuffed that one up" when they have a shocking bounce down.
I reckon every suppporter could tell tales of how they have seen the opposition getting gifted a goal from a lousy bounce. All we really want is a 50/50 contest. At the moment that isnt the case. And the other thing is that the word is the league gives lesser umps games because of their better abilty to bounce the ball. If the throw up came in could the quality of umpires go up to? (Yeah I know I streching it with THAT one :p )
Anyway so what is the general opinion out there? Do we stay with tradition or dump it?

Surely they must keep the traditional bounce up! I know "a quick game is a good game" but you could blink and miss the umpire (hopefully not Scott or our good friend John Harvey) throwing up the ball and a set play.
Personally I like the process of the umpire wiping his hands, measuring the distance he bounces it, throwing the ball in his hand a few times and finally after the crowd screaming at him, he bunts it into the hard surface!

Did any Hawks or North fans see the centre bounce on friday night when Bell and Rocky went (and i use the term very freely) "Up" for the hit out?
fair dicnkum the bounce all night were shockers and gave an unfair advantage for centre clearances on to many occasions, both ways.
Either get umps that can make it go striahgt up and down or get rid of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back