Getting rid of the Gabba cricket pitch

Remove this Banner Ad

Which would put the AFL in a precarious position should it be proven that the ground isn't actually a safe workplace.

Which is why, I suspect, the AFLPA is bringing pressure to bear on the AFL regarding the issue. I think they're essentially firing a shot across the bow of the AFL saying "We think this is an issue. We think your penetrometer parameters are too lax or otherwise flawed. If there is a resultant injury then you have been forewarned. Do something before it gets to that."

I do wonder if one problem is that the tolerance levels don't take into account repeated exposure. I mean, was the pitch safe enough for Geelong who only had to play there once but perhaps isn't safe for the Lions who have had to play their two weeks in a row and at least 11 times over the course of the season?

I see a consultant getting a lot of money out of this.

I think this is a case of Queensland Cricket have FULL control of the Gabba, and the AFL is trying to get a little control.

As I have said in this thread before I went up their in 2007 and did a tour of the Gabba and it was after the round 22 games so everyone was celebrating the removal of the Posts. It currently is a cricket oval which is allowed to be borrowed in the off season by the Brisbane Lions.

Drop in Pitches might or might not be the answer, but the Brisbane Lions definitely need more control over the major decisions of the Gabba considering the amount of revenue they generate for the venue.

Lets see, the lions have the ability (and quite often do) to pack the ground out for their homegames compared to the 5000 people that go and watch the bulls play?

If you ever go to a Shield match during the week, you are lucky to spot 50 people there, let alone 5000.

The Gabba's pitch/stadium/location is probably the best combination left in Australia after the MCG decided to destroy their wicket. It would have happened by now if they were going to remove it. As someone said above it will take a career ending injury (M.Primus incident) and some massive legal action for anything to change. I actually wrote a paper on the subject last year, anyone in any position of actual power over the matter is against it/ignoring the matter.

See Miisiti vs MCC. :thumbsu:

Unfortunately I suspect it is going to take a similar impact-type injury (Misiti broke his jaw getting tackled into the MCG turf) to get their attention. I reckon it'll be to difficult to prove fault with injuries like rolled ankles and ACLs etc.

You would think that if there was a case at the MCG and the fact that everybody knows that the Gabba is a hard ground that they would do something to prevent them being sued seeing as the Lions bring majority of income to the Gabba.

No wonder why we can't win at the MCG, the ground is too soft for the Lions.

We keep getting back to the central issue:

Every week, the AFL tests the pitch and passes it as suitable for play.

What exactly can or should anyone else do? If the pitch hardness is a significant factor in causing player injuries, then the Lions needs to take that up with the AFL because the AFL effectively certifies the Gabba as safe for work (ie play), each and every game.

Sure it passes the test but maybe the tolerance levels need to be reviewed.

Could it be that elite AFL players are finely tuned and more susceptible to injury than the average punter and these tolerances do not relate directly to AFL players.

I can only assume the watering and then readings are done prior to the ressies game… my options between last Saturdays games were;
a) watch the grass grow,
b) line up facing the opposite way for a beer.

It must be done over 3 hours prior to the main game?

What's the likelihood of NO reserve game prior to main event for the effects/measurements after watering to be more relevant at the first bounce?

[God forbid the pitch be watered twice in a day] :rolleyes:

All sounds like a whole lot of duck shoving to me...just like when a road or footpath needs fixing, "its their problem not ours, oh no it's not, its theirs!"..

The ground passed within the stringent AFL ground conditions..(on the high side)... The boundarys were set high to accomadate Ethihad concrete base...The players association need to take this further.. to have the AFL ground conditions guidelines changed...

AFL considering dropping curtain-raisers to soften gabba turf

THE AFL wants curtain-raisers at the Gabba scrapped to allow heavy watering of the surface before Brisbane Lions matches.

Despite overnight and morning watering, the ground has remained on the higher end of hardness readings because it is off-limits from 3pm for the standard night games at the venue.

If the support matches are moved, staff will continually pour water in the turf to soften it in time for the first bounce.

...the league's football operations manager Adrian Anderson last night told the Herald Sun action to move the curtain-raisers was likely.

Dumb question: could the slipperiness of the ball, particularly noticeable through the first few games at the gabba, be attributable to extra watering in an effort to soften the turf, rather than the oft-quoted "humidity"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or oil on the ball off the players hands....each time the ball has been slippery due to "humidity", I've noticed the players seem to have a lot of oil on their bodies....this must come off onto their hands then to the ball, surely?

Sure it passes the test but maybe the tolerance levels need to be reviewed.

Yeah, that's my point.

But how is that the problem of the State Government, as owner and operator f the facility? Many people are saying that the Gabba should switch to drop in pitches. But the only reason that they should be expected to do that is if the ground is unsafe. But the AFL says the ground is safe - "at the higher level of normal tolerances".

FWIW, as a cricket lover, I would hate to see the Gabba wicket get changed. But I consider there is mounting evidence to demonstrate that the ground is unsafe and the testing regime seems the most likely place where the information being provided is inaccurate.

But the buck stops fairly and squarely with the AFL (as the authority that clears the ground as fit for play) and the Brisbane Lions (as employer who owes a duty of care to the players). The AFL can't keep clearing the ground for play and expect the Gabba authorities to do anything different.

On the day that the AFL comes out and says "the Gabba is not safe", then I would happily re-consider my view on the drop in pitch. But whilst the AFL is either burying its head in the sand about the problem (by knowingly relying on poor advice or data) or honestly believes there not to be a problem, then I don't expect Stadiums Qld to do a single thing.

I also think that, as seems to be the case, other options should be explored. As I said in a post on this thread some time ago, I would look to reach an agreement with Qld Cricket about quarantining the ground for at least a month before the AFL season starts. Once the Gabba's international and domestic Twenty20 cricket obligations are over, then there is no need for cricket to be played at the Gabba. Maybe a bit of a financial incentive from the AFL would be enough for Qld Cricket to play its last couple of homes games at Allan Border Oval or at regional centres.

Dumb question: could the slipperiness of the ball, particularly noticeable through the first few games at the gabba, be attributable to extra watering in an effort to soften the turf, rather than the oft-quoted "humidity"?

It did look like players were sweating a lot / the humidity. The commentary was saying the same thing, and players were struggling with cramping.

I know losing the reserves games is a bit annoying, but at the very least the watering the ground prior to the game suggestion should be taken up.

Dumb question: could the slipperiness of the ball, particularly noticeable through the first few games at the gabba, be attributable to extra watering in an effort to soften the turf, rather than the oft-quoted "humidity"?[/quote]

While agonising over the sight of our usual repetitive fumbling and mishandling, the same thought occurred briefly to me on Saturday night.

But then reality dawned- Geelong didn't seem to have too much trouble handling the pill.

They better not move the ressie games away from the Gabba. :mad::mad::mad::mad: :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: And if they do, they better make their "HOME" games at Coorparoo. :mad:

Why don't they just move ressie game to a later time and the senior game to the 7.40pm start? :confused:
There's normally a shite load of time between the ressie game and the big game.

The clubs idea of entertainment in between those games is the little kids running around on the ground for 10 minutes. :rolleyes::thumbsdown: Yawn.
The kids can run around at halftime of the ressie game, nothing happens out on the ground in that period of time anyways.

This f'ing stinks for all us loyal 2's supporters. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Those 2 twats in charge of the AFL will be hearing from our little supporters group on this issue, and it ain't gonna be pretty. :D:footy:

From what I can ascertain alot of the issue is the hardness of the entire ground, with the centre wicket area being the worst. Would they be able to move the ressies start 30 minutes earlier or even call it a 2pm start, done by 4.45, then they could surely water it between the ressies and the seniors?

Surely robbing the supporters of the ability to see the ressies because the AFL guidelines seem to be out of whack is a bit of a cop out.

They better not move the ressie games away from the Gabba. :mad::mad::mad::mad: :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: And if they do, they better make their "HOME" games at Coorparoo. :mad:

Yep, despite the huge revenue that the Lions pour in to the Gabba, it is the Lions who are the ones to have to make further concessions and sacrifices.

Sick of being sympathetic to the cricket set. Dig that effing pitch up already.

The Lions reserves draw a bigger crowd at the Gabba than Sheffield Shield games.

From what I can ascertain alot of the issue is the hardness of the entire ground, with the centre wicket area being the worst. Would they be able to move the ressies start 30 minutes earlier or even call it a 2pm start, done by 4.45, then they could surely water it between the ressies and the seniors?

Surely robbing the supporters of the ability to see the ressies because the AFL guidelines seem to be out of whack is a bit of a cop out.

:thumbsu: I think you are on the money here as it would seem that since the outfield was relaid in 2000 for the Olympics it has got progressively harder.

I note your comment of robbing the Qld based supporters of seeing the ressies (and I am against this happening) this is a luxury that few other clubs enjoy in this day and age.

I you have to water it to keep it soft just before the game, then you always risk it being slippery at some point. Add this to the obvious problems that they are having with the footballs themselves this year and its not a good outcome.

Just seems to drain too well.

the lions can raise the issue of the surface with the afl all they wan't. but the afl can't do anything about it. the afl come a distant second to cricket at the gabba and queensland cricket will not remove the centre wicket.

in terms of what matters, and that is revenue, the afl far, far outshines the cricket at the gabba.
I dont see cricket pulling in 11 to 13 28000+ crowds in a year.
Ridiculous to see cricket purists being so inflexible

in terms of what matters, and that is revenue, the afl far, far outshines the cricket at the gabba.
I dont see cricket pulling in 11 to 13 28000+ crowds in a year.
Ridiculous to see cricket purists being so inflexible

like it or lump it, it's the way things go at the moment. the gabba trust and queensland cricket can comeback with. we use the gabba a lot more than the afl does and they are just leasing the gabba to the lions and they can just say. you are free to go when ever you want. that's how it is working at the moment. i think they will take the 2s games away from the gabba

Certainly, the Lions provide a far better revenue stream than cricket.

But John made a good point a while ago. Cricket is a far more powerful political ally in Queensland. It is the dominant summer sport, compared to Aussie Rules which probably runs 3rd or even 4th in some respects in terms of the relevance of the winter codes in Qld.

And Queensland cricket followers (who don't have a strong interest in Aussie Rules) would be up in arms regardless of whether there were legitimate workplace health and safety reasons.

I don't think that Stadiums Qld is totally resistant to change. But there needs to be clear, unequivocal evidence that the only solution is to remove the cricket square and use drop in pitches. That means proving:

1. That the AFL's testing is flawed; and

2. That the other options are unsuitable.

The fact that the ground is going to be watered prior to games seems to be an admission that there is a problem. How much help it will be has to be doubtful. They seem to be delaying the inevitable. DIG IT UP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back