Getting the best out of Berry

Remove this Banner Ad

golions

Team Captain
Jul 10, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Last year we saw Jarrod Berry play by far his best/most influential game when he was put on Clarry Oliver and not only shut him down but also hurt the opposition the other way.

Why doesn’t he play this role every week - playing on the opposition’s best inside mid? Instead he seems to get tried in several different positions including the wing where his impact is limited.

Feels like Berry as an inside mid and Clugga on the wing seem to be where we would get the best out of both of them.

Last year we saw Jarrod Berry play by far his best/most influential game when he was put on Clarry Oliver and not only shut him down but also hurt the opposition the other way.

Why doesn’t he play this role every week - playing on the opposition’s best inside mid? Instead he seems to get tried in several different positions including the wing where his impact is limited.

Feels like Berry as an inside mid and Clugga on the wing seem to be where we would get the best out of both of them.
pain-in-the-shoulder-on-gray-background.jpg

Crazy Fagen

Dunkleys better.

Nitpicking but it was half a game

I think I posted it elsewhere, but from outside looking in, I don't think his shoulders can bear the grunt of being an every week inside mid, and will be played there if the match ups fall that way and we need a bigger body.

He played as an inside mid (started in ~60% of the centre bounces) against Melbourne this year, but even then, he copped a hit to the shoulder late in the game.

I wonder if the next time we see him in there is vs Carlton in a couple of weeks.

Berry has spoken about this before. His shoulder is buggered and not up to the bashing he would cop week in, week out.

He can take a cortisone injection to get through one game, but that comes at the cost of off season shoulder surgery and reconstruction.

Berry has spoken about this before. His shoulder is buggered and not up to the bashing he would cop week in, week out.

He can take a cortisone injection to get through one game, but that comes at the cost of off season shoulder surgery and reconstruction.

His shoulder surgery in the off season was a complete success. I think it's more about managing his fitness and workload on the back of a very limited pre season. He'll spend plenty of time around the footy when we need him.

His shoulder surgery in the off season was a complete success. I think it's more about managing his fitness and workload on the back of a very limited pre season. He'll spend plenty of time around the footy when we need him.
I was referring to potential future shoulder surgeries. As we’ve seen with Gardiner, who I believe has had at least 3 now.

I was referring to potential future shoulder surgeries. As we’ve seen with Gardiner, who I believe has had at least 3 now.

Yeah I knew what you meant - not as much of a concern with Berry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We saw Will Day go off with a similar shoulder issue and come back on and play well

I think Berry most likely needs to toughen up or be content being a C grade wing

Will day probably got a stinger and then injected to numb it off (at worst).

I get the feeling that internally they believe Berry is good to go. But for whatever reason he can't push himself to take midfield time.

I think it's quite clear we need him on a wing

That's part of the problem with this team. After all these years players like Berry, McCluggage and Bailey still haven't been able to cement a distinct position in the team. Are they midfielders, wings or half forwards? We still don't know. Pick and stick helps with development.

Always thought Berry would end up more of an inside mid. That didn't happen. Thought that McCluggage would be a Rolls Royce inside/outside mid. That's not happening. And I cant see the logic of playing Bailey midfield when his strength is as a goal kicking half forward.

So it may be shoulders with Berry, but there are other examples on the team where players have not come on as they should have.

That's part of the problem with this team. After all these years players like Berry, McCluggage and Bailey still haven't been able to cement a distinct position in the team. Are they midfielders, wings or half forwards? We still don't know. Pick and stick helps with development.

Always thought Berry would end up more of an inside mid. That didn't happen. Thought that McCluggage would be a Rolls Royce inside/outside mid. That's not happening. And I cant see the logic of playing Bailey midfield when his strength is as a goal kicking half forward.

So it may be shoulders with Berry, but there are other examples on the team where players have not come on as they should have.

Clug has made the AA squad 4 times. He's fine

Berry's shoulder is stuffed so needs to avoid contact

Bailey I think just isn't good enough to play midfield. We've overrated his ability

But you do need players who can play multiple positions and to try and make them more well rounded then they are when drafted

Bailey I think just isn't good enough to play midfield. We've overrated his ability

But you do need players who can play multiple positions and to try and make them more well rounded then they are when drafted
We need to move Berry on if his shoulder is stuffed. Agree Bailey needs to be played as a small forward, him and Charlie up front would be hard match ups.

We need to move Berry on if his shoulder is stuffed. Agree Bailey needs to be played as a small forward, him and Charlie up front would be hard match ups.

I think there might be a different type of surgery that could be an option. Neale had surgery to insert bone in his shoulder joint which limits mobility but stops it slipping out

But it's bloody obvious from many tackling attempts and squibbing body contact that he's not right now physically and mentally

I suppose an ungracious judgement on McCluggage is that AA squad is his level. I had him down as All Australian for sure. He may end up as a half forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back