Getting Tickets

Remove this Banner Ad

5 cases.

Shut everything down.

Do you really think this is sustainable as it will constantly happen
No it's not sustainable especially when we have a vaccine alternative. Eventually it will get out of control somewhere (not necessarily in Victoria) and become a widespread outbreak, just as it did in Victoria last year. Snap lockdowns and public gathering restrictions are still the best tool we have at the moment apart from the vaccine.

The problem is getting a critical mass of people vaccinated. While roughly a third of the adult population are deferring any thought of having the vaccine we will just have to endure snap lockdowns (or public gathering restrictions) each time there's a hotel quarantine outbreak. And you can be assured they WILL keep happening.

I'm in group 2a and now eligible so I am trying to get mine but I'm in Vic at the moment not at home in the ACT so it's a bit problematical. Have you had yours?

No it's not sustainable especially when we have a vaccine alternative. Eventually it will get out of control somewhere (not necessarily in Victoria) and become a widespread outbreak, just as it did in Victoria last year. Snap lockdowns and public gathering restrictions are still the best tool we have at the moment apart from the vaccine.

The problem is getting a critical mass of people vaccinated. While roughly a third of the adult population are deferring any thought of having the vaccine we will just have to endure snap lockdowns (or public gathering restrictions) each time there's a hotel quarantine outbreak. And you can be assured they WILL keep happening.

I'm in group 2a and now eligible so I am trying to get mine but I'm in Vic at the moment not at home in the ACT so it's a bit problematical. Have you had yours?
Nah not eligible yet.

When I am I'll get it

Yet. If more cased come through which they probably will that's going to change quickly
Which may be appropriate for the circumstances.

Either way it's impossible to know whether it's an overreaction. What if the measures stop any more cases appearing? Is it still an overreaction ? What is the difference in outcome that make it an overreaction or a suitable measure?
One thing we know is that wearing masks and limiting indoor interactions mean the virus transmits less within the community so it's at least something in place that theoretically should reduce further cases/limit the outbreak.
What if we didn't act and it got further out of control? Unfortunately as we've seen you can't put the genie back in the bottle with this, so the longer you wait to stopping the spread, the much worse it is (in terms of measures required to bring it back and length of time before it is back under control).

I think it's better to be conservative to nip it in the bud early.

Either way it's impossible to know whether it's an overreaction. What if the measures stop any more cases appearing? Is it still an overreaction ? What is the difference in outcome that make it an overreaction or a suitable measure?
One thing we know is that wearing masks and limiting indoor interactions mean the virus transmits less within the community so it's at least something in place that theoretically should reduce further cases/limit the outbreak.
What if we didn't act and it got further out of control? Unfortunately as we've seen you can't put the genie back in the bottle with this, so the longer you wait to stopping the spread, the much worse it is (in terms of measures required to bring it back and length of time before it is back under control).

I think it's better be conservative to nip it in the bud early.
And if it works, even if it is exactly proportionate, it will feel like an overreaction. The alternative is far worse.

I think it's better be conservative to nip it in the bud early.
Measures to herd the virus isn't the issue.

Constant lockdowns is the issue. And it seems to be the first port of call rather than fixing our shithouse contact tracing

Constant lockdowns is the issue. And it seems to be the first port of call rather than fixing our shithouse contact tracing
We haven't locked down though as yet. They are currently relying on contract tracing, which has been improved (not saying it's perfect by any means). Exactly what you describe they should be doing, they are doing (for now).

Lockdowns are a measure.

Contact tracing is another measure, however it is a reactive measure. It is used to stop the spread of those already potentially with the virus.
Lockdowns (and masks and social distancing and hand washing, etc etc) are proactive in that they try stop people getting the virus in the first place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our contact tracing is garbage and has been from the start
Agree it was very poor at the start. What is your evidence to say it is now?

Not saying you're wrong. Just genuinely interested, as we all should be.

Agree it was very poor at the start. What is your evidence to say it is now?

Not saying you're wrong. Just genuinely interested, as we all should be.
A case in my son's childcare .... my son was exposed to the child who had it and we weren't even contacted to isolate... we did anyway but fml

It also took them 3 days to complete their tracing while missing close contacts.

So yeah it's absolute trash

It definitely was. I believe it is vastly improved now but I suppose that remains to be seen.
We only need to go back a couple of weeks to see the incorrect supermarket was identified. That to me is proof that the contact tracing standards are still nowhere near where it needs to be.

For me, I think the state and fed govts are equally to blame. Feds, coz of the slow af vaccine rollout, and the Vic Govt because its contact tracing and QR code systems are more proof we are doing our own thing, whether it is to our own detriment or not. Only have to look at how other states have ran, and no other state or territory has got close to having the issues Vic has had with it all in the past 15 months.

We only need to go back a couple of weeks to see the incorrect supermarket was identified. That to me is proof that the contact tracing standards are still nowhere near where it needs to be.

For me, I think the state and fed govts are equally to blame. Feds, coz of the slow af vaccine rollout, and the Vic Govt because its contact tracing and QR code systems are more proof we are doing our own thing, whether it is to our own detriment or not. Only have to look at how other states have ran, and no other state or territory has got close to having the issues Vic has had with it all in the past 15 months.
100% this

'Check-in' culture in Melbourne is shocking.

Just came back from Adelaide and you're told to check-in everywhere. Want to get seated at a restaurant, why don't you check in first. Walk into a shoe shop? Check in and feel free to look around.

That leadership and enforcement needs to come from the top - as it is in SA where businesses know that there'll be spot checks and fines. As far as I know it's been weak at best here in Vic.

'Check-in' culture in Melbourne is shocking.

Just came back from Adelaide and you're told to check-in everywhere. Want to get seated at a restaurant, why don't you check in first. Walk into a shoe shop? Check in and feel free to look around.

That leadership and enforcement needs to come from the top - as it is in SA where businesses know that there'll be spot checks and fines. As far as I know it's been weak at best here in Vic.

Check in lol!! I got my first astrazenica a week ago. The QR code at Sunshine Hospital didn't work. Wasn't just me. I've since found out why. I use the Vic Govt app to check in. Apparently the QR codes for vaccine hubs are issued by the Federal Govt, so they don't work on the Vic Govt check in app. Great stuff hey?

Depending on how things go, maybe AFL will hold the bye for Vic games this week...???

Vietnam had about 2,700 in the first 14 months of the virus on the back of tough early restrictions and excellent contact tracing.

The next 2,700 cases took 4 weeks with tough early restrictions and excellent contact tracing.

These new variants spread quicker than a hooker at a bucks night.

Don't push against any restriction regardless of how they impact you personally, they are much better than the alternative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back