Getup are useless arse clowns

Remove this Banner Ad

They did an election review and concluded they did some things right and some things wrong.

Can you elaborate?

Getting Abbott out , the Libs were huge winners, he was gold for the other side, fodder for the very lazy think tank known as the Canberra Press Gallery.
ScoMo must thank the Lord morning & night.

What did they do wrong, probably the sleaze bag life saver ads, low life bottom feeders.

They cruelled the chances of the ALP in some places because of the misleading and false advertising of people like Palmer and many LNP Ministers.

So they did what: cruelled the chances of the ALP in some places
how did they do it: the misleading and false advertising of people like Palmer and many LNP Ministers.

You are cut out to work in politics, wouldnt matter left/right/independent/cross bencher, stay on top of your social media they're coming for you.

Get Up know about you ?

I think to understand GetUp! you need to understand the context of its founding, specifically the Australian uni political scene of the early-to-mid-2000s. If you were politically minded, it was a fairly interesting time. None of us were old enough to really remember anything other than a Howard government - Keating had been booted out when most of us were in primary school.

Now we were all grown up and forming our own opinions (political and otherwise), a lot of us were looking around for somewhere to participate in change and not finding a whole lot. The Beazley/Crean era of Labor did not resonate with people our age in the slightest, and the less said about Latham the better. The Greens were mostly run by people who remembered the Soviet Union with a degree of fondness, and we'd been in nappies when the Berlin Wall came down.

The fertility of that environment combined with the internet gave birth to a remarkably large number of diverse organisations - not only GetUp! but The Chaser, Australian Youth Climate Coalition, Fair Agenda, Oaktree Foundation and several others. They were founded by a relatively small number of people, and in a number of cases one grew out of another. But they all came out of (and found their support in) a generally disaffected generation that at the time didn't really have any avenues for their voice.

GetUp! sort of epitomises that era, and in that sense I think it was and is a fundamentally good idea. It provides a way for people to get directly involved in causes that they care about, and the reason it has been so successful has a lot to do with the fact that before they existed, that just wasn't possible. When GetUp! started attracting big money donors, it was a shock - surely nothing our generation cared about, run by people our age, could get that kind of traction.

However 15 years is a long time in youth politics. I no longer know anyone involved in most of the organisations I listed, and most of them are far bigger in terms of scope, funding and personnel than they were when I did. A lot of the market gaps and problems that drove their establishment were rapidly co-opted by the political mainstream, starting with Kevin Rudd in 2007.

I would be interested to know what the opinion about GetUp! and its ilk is on university campuses these days. I find it hard to imagine that their generation feels the same sense of ownership over those organisations as we did.
Very interesting take on it all

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think to understand GetUp! you need to understand the context of its founding, specifically the Australian uni political scene of the early-to-mid-2000s. If you were politically minded, it was a fairly interesting time. None of us were old enough to really remember anything other than a Howard government - Keating had been booted out when most of us were in primary school.

Now we were all grown up and forming our own opinions (political and otherwise), a lot of us were looking around for somewhere to participate in change and not finding a whole lot. The Beazley/Crean era of Labor did not resonate with people our age in the slightest, and the less said about Latham the better. The Greens were mostly run by people who remembered the Soviet Union with a degree of fondness, and we'd been in nappies when the Berlin Wall came down.

The fertility of that environment combined with the internet gave birth to a remarkably large number of diverse organisations - not only GetUp! but The Chaser, Australian Youth Climate Coalition, Fair Agenda, Oaktree Foundation and several others. They were founded by a relatively small number of people, and in a number of cases one grew out of another. But they all came out of (and found their support in) a generally disaffected generation that at the time didn't really have any avenues for their voice.

GetUp! sort of epitomises that era, and in that sense I think it was and is a fundamentally good idea. It provides a way for people to get directly involved in causes that they care about, and the reason it has been so successful has a lot to do with the fact that before they existed, that just wasn't possible. When GetUp! started attracting big money donors, it was a shock - surely nothing our generation cared about, run by people our age, could get that kind of traction.

However 15 years is a long time in youth politics. I no longer know anyone involved in most of the organisations I listed, and most of them are far bigger in terms of scope, funding and personnel than they were when I did. A lot of the market gaps and problems that drove their establishment were rapidly co-opted by the political mainstream, starting with Kevin Rudd in 2007.

I would be interested to know what the opinion about GetUp! and its ilk is on university campuses these days. I find it hard to imagine that their generation feels the same sense of ownership over those organisations as we did.

GetUp's start came at roughly the same time as the demise of the Australian Democrats. In some ways the two had/have a similar political outlook. They even both use(d) orange branding.

I get their emails (signed up for to saying with their stance on a few things) but I feel now they are just a bunch of self serving outrage merchants who want my money, and have lost grip on reality when it comes to making real change. Their whole approach to trying to unseat Dutton was deluded.

Yep agree totally. Had to block them on facebook. Nothing but a nasty bunch of fools.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back