Interstate Teams to Play GF at Home Stadium

• Yes

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • No

Votes: 62 71.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing Devils advocate.
American sports which has vastly greater numbers and finances involved play at different venues

Superbowl is usually played in Southern states with better weather and the stadium is chosen years ahead of the match.

However, there is a curse in the NFL that the home team of the chosen stadium has NEVER qualified for the Superbowl. So it always turns out to be a neutral venue. (sometimes in the same city as a team but not at their home ground)

And they all have huge stadiums. Imagine a grand final in front of only 24k at Spotless stadium
25k and currently a couple of hundred metres away is ANZ with 90k, fully seated.
But keep it at the G

25k and currently a couple of hundred metres away is ANZ with 90k, fully seated.
But keep it at the G
Which is nobodies home ground so it's irrelevant and may as well be kept at the G.

Which is nobodies home ground so it's irrelevant and may as well be kept at the G.
Read what I said, why not take yes for an answer?
My view has awalays been that G is home of Aussie rules and the GF should stay there
If SA and WA fans have an issue that's their right, as they have their own strong traditions. I wouldn't presume to speak for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But alot of rules are being broken and tradition is going
This is one tradition that will not go....not in our lifetime, if ever. Its about as enshrined a tradition as the Pope being based in the Vatican (I know centuries ago the Pope lived elsewhere)

Not complaining. Just saying with changes coming like Twilight GF and Good Friday games eventually it will happen

I can understand non Melbourne teams wanting a home ground GF

I don't want a home GF. It should and will always be held at the MCG.

If it was an Adelaide v port grand final, 100% should be played at Adelaide oval
What's the theoretical capacity? There is still some grassed area I notice that presumably could be standing room if required?
I get at home would be good but would as many SA fans be forced to watch on TV anyway? Just curious.

If they grant seating rights for MCC members, I'll vote for it, and be in Perth or Adelaide with bells on!

But MCC is just one powerful group that would need to be pacified, very tough to get this across the line even if there was a 100k stadium in Perth.

Of all the repetitive arguments on here this is probably the dumbest. It's not moving for the next 20 years due to a deal with the MCC. It's not moving after that because you can't book a venue a week before the game, plus the AFL don't want to sabotage their own sport

Back