GF Zero to Heroes thread

Remove this Banner Ad

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
It's quite a common theme in footy to see a player have a great season and go missing in finals but Tom Boyd's retirement has me thinking he's a bit of an oddity. It's not that often you have players who were mostly out of form for the whole season and then suddenly dominate in a GF. I was wondering if people could list any other players from their clubs that might fall into that category? They don't have to be complete spuds, just players who went by relatively unnoticed then suddenly smashed it in the Grand Final.

The closest at the Crows would probably be Shane Ellen. He only played 10 games in 1997, played as a defender and wasn't exactly setting the world on fire either. Blight moved him foward and he kicked 5 goals in the GF against St Kilda. He hadn't kicked any goals that season and had only kicked 3 goals in his 38 game career up until that point.

b3a08e09c19649111c7f752de4385e9a

https://www.afc.com.au/video/2017-06-07/blight-bites-shane-ellen

Last edited:

Lewis Roberts-Thomson played a pretty big role in the Swans 21st Century grand final wins, despite being bit of a scrubber of a player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

to be fair to Wil, he was in ripping form in the second half of that season, which culminated in a super performance in the Grand Final.
Sadly, he was never able to recapture that form but he had a tremendous couple of months.

He's about the only one I can remember during our reign.
Not too many sleepers were carried because of the abundance of talent.

He had many years of playing very good footy at Port so I don't see how he could be viewed as a zero.
He was rubbish at Hawthorn until the finals series and that fat little campaigner exploded

Remove this Banner Ad

Back