Rumour GFC 2016 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive raised it an other thread that I believe we look better when Kersten plays, but that he might not be the player going forward that can do it at the required level. Is that something Chris Mayne could do? He doesn't kick a lot of goals but is a hard worker and seemingly reliable?

Certainly not sold on it myself but worth a float.
Kersten will look much better in a team willing to move the all faster. Mayne suits our style more but he's going to Collingwood.

I do think we should focus on drafting well (and we will),but now is the time to contend too mainly as the other teams are relatively poor compared to the great geelong and hawthorn era sides. Sydney are a workmanlike side whose defense can be put under pressure, the dogs have average key forwards and average tall backs who are protected by a good defensive system and workmanlike rucks at best. Hawthorn have holes everywhere and adelaide have a poor midfield. Gws are the closest to a complete team but they are still very young. The opportunity is there for us to contend now if we make some personnel and tactical changes. We should be focusing on both now and the future.

Not the other night. Nothing workman like about that first quarter.

We have to be very honest with ourselves. Are we in a position where top up with X and maybe Y ..will make all the difference. 7 goals to 0 the other night sort of put a crease in that kilt for mine. Deludio or Fyfe or Ablett or Handley would have made little diff.

We have a lot of finals inexperience and yet not the youthful exuberance to counter for it. We have brought in rucks for the most part have done a reasonable job but when it counted , I felt let down by their finals. We have a steady and experienced backline that are OK when they get to play on their terms. ... and last of all we lack real mongrel grit.. who is our Mooney, Dasher , Rooke etc. Its more than one player we need I fear....yet the train has left the station... they have committed and its probable they add another mature type again.

Last edited:

Kersten will look much better in a team willing to move the all faster. Mayne suits our style more but he's going to Collingwood.
Most forwards look good with quick ball movement.

We have to be very honest with ourselves. Are we in a position where top up with X and maybe Y ..will make all the difference. 7 goals to 0 the other night sort of put a crease in that kilt for mine. Deludio or Fyfe or Ablett or Handley would have made little diff.

We have a lot of finals in experience and yet not the youthful exuberance to counter for it. We have brought in rucks for the most part have done a reasonable job but when it counted , I felt let down by their finals. We have a steady and experienced backline that are OK when they get to play on their terms. ... and last of all we lack real mongrel grit.. who is our Mooney, Dasher , Rooke etc. Its more than one player we need I fear....yet the train has left the station... they have committed and its probable they add another mature type again.
Do you think we need we could do with someone in the coaching staff that has some real mongrel in them to pump it into them. We just seem to be lacking that hard edge. We played better when they are playing on the edge . Just lacked the aggression that should be shown in a final. Chappy was furious watching the game we need that hardness in our team

We have a lot of finals in experience and yet not the youthful exuberance to counter for it. We have brought in rucks for the most part have done a reasonable job but when it counted , I felt let down by their finals. We have a steady and experienced backline that are OK when they get to play on their terms. ... and last of all we lack real mongrel grit.. who is our Mooney, Dasher , Rooke etc. Its more than one player we need I fear....yet the train has left the station... they have committed and its probable they add another mature type again.

Sydney are very workmanlike their defense is protected by mids flooding back hard but has some average players in it their rucks are average and their forwardline is good but not great.

I respect how hard they work and manically attack the ball but my point is the best teams now are not a patch on the best teams of 2007-11 and 2013-2015 which is why we can contend if we make some small but important improvements.

We beat the dogs twice and we had the best record against all other top 8 sides. I am more concerned with the fact that our post 2011 group seems to panic and drop their bundle in moments in finals when they dont otherwise,which i assume is mental, and parts of our gameplan that i reckon are bad moves. The list,so long as we make good changes this offseason,is definitely good enough.

Most forwards look good with quick ball movement.
As a general rule, yes. But some forwards are also only capable with quick ball movement. Kersten is one such player.

Sydney are very workmanlike their defense is protected by mids flooding back hard but has some average players in it their rucks are average and their forwardline is good but not great.

I respect how hard they work and manically attack the ball but my point is the best teams now are not a patch on the best teams of 2007-11 and 2013-2015 which is why we can contend if we make some small but important improvements.

We beat the dogs twice and we had the best record against all other top 8 sides. I am more concerned with the fact that our post 2011 group seems to panic and drop their bundle in moments in finals when they dont otherwise,which i assume is mental, and parts of our gameplan that i reckon are bad moves. The list,so long as we make good changes this offseason,is definitely good enough.

As you say ..hard to disagree..but going forward will we have that best record next year. The Dogs finals result may be a beginning of 2 to 3 years for them if they can cope with the leader of the pack mindset. Other teams should be better and yet , apart from being a better team in knowing each other , and working together , Im not seeing an obvious improvement in us. Sure the best is short of us 07-11 but it means little , there are more much better than some we had to beat.

I will not say we are not talented enough but I'm concerned with others rate of improvement , and Im concerned we had so many go missing when it counted.

Why no one asked CS some tough questions his presser ,... 6 out of the last 8 finals have been losses. This one was up there..or should I say down there in the realms of the worst in that group. So why we might not need to be great to win it , but are we good enough to overcome our recent history. What will make us different? Its a problem for another but it sort of pushes me towards not just a spinkle of castor sugar on the finished cake...but a search for some quality eggs and milk to improve the cake.

As you say ..hard to disagree..but going forward will we have that best record next year. The Dogs finals result may be a beginning of 2 to 3 years for them if they can cope with the leader of the pack mindset. Other teams should be better and yet , apart from being a better team in knowing each other , and working together , Im not seeing an obvious improvement in us. Sure the best is short of us 07-11 but it means little , there are more much better than some we had to beat.

I will not say we are not talented enough but I'm concerned with others rate of improvement , and Im concerned we had so many go missing when it counted.

Why no one asked CS some tough questions his presser ,... 6 out of the last 8 finals have been losses. This one was up there..or should I say down there in the realms of the worst in that group. So why we might not need to be great to win it , but are we good enough to overcome our recent history. What will make us different? Its a problem for another but it sort of pushes me towards not just a spinkle of castor sugar on the finished cake...but a search for some quality eggs and milk to improve the cake.
I think we got some quality eggs and milk last year, but our cooking process let us down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There will be some disappointed punters at our activity in trade period, judging by this thread. The events of Friday night don't change our lack of currency to get much at all done. Also don't expect the same level of panic in the professionals making the decisions.

Can you tell me what "our style" is, particularly in relation to our forward system?

Btw, the more I think about it the more I think we actually overachieved this year with the flaws we have. When you think we finished second after the h&a without a second tall forward, without an elite crumber, with an ageing backline that struggled to bring the ball quickly out of defence and with a midfield that whilst having two champions, dropped away significantly after that, then it's perhaps not a bad result.

But unfortunately the cracks, whilst showing on several occasions this year, really split open when finals pressure came upon us.

There will be some disappointed punters at our activity in trade period, judging by this thread. The events of Friday night don't change our lack of currency to get much at all done. Also don't expect the same level of panic in the professionals making the decisions.

Id be happy if we somehow found our way into the R1 again , or perhaps a couple in the 20's ... who goes and who gives that for them is questionable , and id totally agree that that would not help us short term... which seems we are focused on. So of the names mentioned seem ambitious and almost desperate .

Can you tell me what "our style" is, particularly in relation to our forward system?
Sure. Maximise the number of i50s, flood with numbers to make exit difficult, hope to score through sheer weight of numbers (literally).

Btw, the more I think about it the more I think we actually overachieved this year with the flaws we have. When you think we finished second after the h&a without a second tall forward, without an elite crumber, with an ageing backline that struggled to bring the ball quickly out of defence and with a midfield that whilst having two champions, dropped away significantly after that, then it's perhaps not a bad result.

But unfortunately the cracks, whilst showing on several occasions this year, really split open when finals pressure came upon us.

Oh YES ..YOTC so spot on.

There will be no panic because there is nothing wrong. We are a great side who just had a bad night. We will roll out the same excuses as we did in 2012, 13, 14 & 15. Next year is our year and we want all the old and slow guys to go around again.

We have plenty of players with currency but the club wouldn't have the balls to move them on. Apart from Motlop and Mackie, all i hear on this board is get rid of Kersten, Clark, Murdoch, Smedts, Vardy and GHS and they didn't even play on Friday. By the way Friday night was not a 1 off. We have been bog average since we smashed the bulldogs at Etihad in the middle of the season.

Duncan - pick 15-20
Blicavs - pick 25-30
Caddy - pick 25-30
Motlop - pick 15-20
Guthrie - pick 20-25

There are 5 examples of players with currency, but let me guess, that will tear the fabric of the playing group apart. Well where was the fabric on Friday when we let Sydney kick the first 7 goals.

Be bold and dont accept mediocrity.

I get it. Caddy, Guthrie Motlop and Duncan are all in that 24-26 age group and have seriously under-delivered. Caddy has done nothing spectacular since he arrived at the club. Motlop and Guthrie are too ephemeral and Duncan has had one pretty good half-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back