Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Congratulations Herald-Sun for proposing the worst deal of all time - suggesting that if we get pick 19 for Motlop we package it and 21 up for Richmond's pick 15 and Sam Lloyd.

Yes, that's right - not using one of our picks for Watts/Stringer, not taking both picks to the draft, but getting rid of two decent picks for a slight upgrade in the draft and a 28 year old VFL player.

Geelong could send a similar request to Punt Rd to advance the Cats’ position for Stringer as part of an even sweeter points boost for the Tigers.

The Cats already have pick No.21 and could secure pick No.19 as first-round free agency compensation for Steve Motlop if he moves to Adelaide or Port Adelaide.

Geelong could bundle those two selections together (worth 1793 points) in exchange for Richmond’s pick No.15 and a later pick, or midfield-forward Sam Lloyd.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...k/news-story/29de2091f516c5be55c58473e23697f5

Last edited:
Congratulations Herald-Sun for proposing the worst deal of all time - suggesting that if we get pick 19 for Motlop we package it and 21 up for Richmond's pick 15 and Sam Lloyd.

Yes, that's right - not using one of our picks for Watts/Stringer, not taking both picks to the draft, but getting rid of two recent picks for a slight upgrade in the draft and a 28 year old VFL player.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...k/news-story/29de2091f516c5be55c58473e23697f5
How are these cretins employed??

MaybeItsGreg

Team Captain
Oct 21, 2014
In Memories
AFL Club
Geelong

Yes, that's right - not using one of our picks for Watts/Stringer, not taking both picks to the draft, but getting rid of two recent picks for a slight upgrade in the draft and a 28 year old VFL player.

Wow. That's a real doozy. I have to just shake my head at how some of this garbage gets published. I think it was also the Herald Sun that last week wrote that Duncan and pick 20 for Ablett and Pick 24 would be tempting for Geelong.

It's ridiculous that people get paid to write that junk. At least when crazy ideas get thrown around on a forum like this it's just fans having fun. There's no financial profiting.

Nov 30, 2000
No longer in a premiership drought
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
LUFC/MSRLC/MVFC

Yes, that's right - not using one of our picks for Watts/Stringer, not taking both picks to the draft, but getting rid of two decent picks for a slight upgrade in the draft and a 28 year old VFL player.

That's as horrendous as our ball use in the Prelim Final.

Freo latest club to deny Dogs an early pick for Stringer. Dogs would've taken 24&29 from Dons for Stringer & sent 9&23 to Freo for Freo's 5.

— Sam Edmund (@SammyHeraldSun) October 13, 2017

lol

Kyuss

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

I guess they are correct... we COULD do that deal if we wanted to. But we don't.
Richmond could also throw in Martin if they wanted to... but they don't.
Licence to write anything that pops into their head it seems

Disagree. Saad is better than bews, stewart and zuthrie. None of those players would net geelong an early second round pick.

Better options then Smith? Like gregson and mccarthy? I dont like Smith but we are not winning a premiership any time soon with mccarthy and gregson in the team.
Saad better than Stewart! Haha classic.

MotleyLemon

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm going to get flamed for this again, but we should be trying to get Jarrad Waite.

Already getting the 30+ injury prone Ablett in a bid to win a flag, I don't see why we aren't offering this bloke a one year deal to play CHF.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Were we not shopping him around last year?
And there was no interest.
Yeah cos he had a bad prelim and there were question marks about his finals ability. He was only one extra good home and away game last year from all australian nomination. He 20-3 five times last year. This year he was our best in the prelim and one of our best in the semi. Those question marks on finals no longer exist.

Feb 21, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
I get the feeling Port a trying to squeeze us out of any potential trade we might be able to do for Jack Watts.

If Motlop has accepted Port's offer (an offer that supposedly would reap us a pick around 35) and are telling him to hold off announcing it until as late as possible in the free agency period so it gives us little or no manouvering room, it gives them the upperhand as they hold pick 29 and us 33. Wells has pretty much stated we aren't going to trade pick 20 straight up for Watts.

IMO we should be pro-active in this and tell Motlop that we will match Port's offer, but won't match Adelaide's or the Suns. Will reap us a better draft pick or force Port's hand into trading for him. Give us greater flexibility to trade for Watts if we get that pick 19 (potentially along the lines of pick 21 + swap of later picks). Or if they trade we would probably get their pick 29 which is what I'd imagine they would want to use for Watts. Or we could just hold onto picks 19 & 21.

Otherwise he goes to the GC and paves the way for Ablett to return home.

Risky play, but the gains out of it far outweigh any losses IMO. Motlop either stays or goes to Adelaide or GC. Alternative is into the draft were Port have little or no chance of getting him.

A much as I respect Wells and the list management team I'm not sure they have the balls to do it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back