Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two main needs for me are:

1. Lightening quick small forward/s with good tackling skills (Miers)
2. A winger (or two) with great outside speed and excellent by foot (O'Brien would be perfect).

After that:
3. a goal kicking HFF (Houlahan)
4. Intercept marking CHB (Clavarino perhaps)

We won't find a KPF in this draft so will hope to continue to develop Buzza and Ratugolea.

I still have KPF as the biggest need but agree, probably no point addressing it in this draft.

Do we need a small forward? We've got Ablett, Cockatoo, Gregson, Parfitt, McCarthy and Jermaine Jones. You'd imagine Ablett will play plenty of midfield but I doubt Cockatoo gets as much time there as he deserves. I think that small forward is pretty well covered.

Would have also been nice to anchor the 2nd rd pick for Ablett to this year when we finished 3rd in a weak draft.

A) There is no guarantee that we will finish 3rd. That pick could be as low as 26 or 27 next year.
B) If the F/S are good and we need to dump a pick next year we still had that option in the 2018 trade period.
C) That pick could have been used to upgrade our first pick in 2018 or in a trade

None of those options are now available.

We would have tried that but gc had a list spot problem so they would have wanted the 2018r2 not the 2017 r2. As the former would probably have just gone on FS bidding its no big deal anyway.

4. KPD - Not urgent, a project to develop as Harry Taylor starts to look to retirement.
I like Noah Balta at the Cannons, but no idea if he will be around at our picks.
I've given up trying to predict who we will select, we never get close to what Wells does.

I still have KPF as the biggest need but agree, probably no point addressing it in this draft.

Do we need a small forward? We've got Ablett, Cockatoo, Gregson, Parfitt, McCarthy and Jermaine Jones. You'd imagine Ablett will play plenty of midfield but I doubt Cockatoo gets as much time there as he deserves. I think that small forward is pretty well covered.

I reckon both Cockatoo and Parfitt will be more midfielders than small forwards. Gregson likewise is more your running mid.

McCarthy I almost see as a smaller, less talented Menzel type forward.

In any case they don't quite fit the profile of that Eddie Betts type crumbling forward that I'm hoping we try and land. Jones could be but just haven't seen enough of him to know whether he's a possibility to make it.

We also have durability concerns re our small forwards and can't put off drafting one in the hope that McCarthy etc have full seasons.

What happens if Wells purely goes best available with 22 and 24.

I get the areas of need - but will it kill us not drafting a position of need in the 20's?

GO Catters

I get the areas of need - but will it kill us not drafting a position of need in the 20's?

GO Catters

It would seem SW historically goes for who he thinks has the potential to be best rather than picking who is the obvious best now..

and at 20's .. there is a pretty good chance he will picks someone who several picks away from more favoured names.

Happy to be corrected Daz, but I’m not aware of any such requirement. The contract specifies the money and the term but I don’t see any reason why he couldn’t be on the rookie list another year and upgraded end 2018.

He doesnt have to be elevated but probably will. One factor will be its looking like all of parsons zuthrie and simpson will be worth elevating at end 2018 so if we don't do one upgrade now when you factor in FS and drafts etc next year we could have to turn over 10+ list spots otherwise which isnt easy to do. So its in our interests to do one upgrade now.

GO Catters
After nearly 2 hours having a look around the picks in the 20/30s I haven't been able to settle on one name best available or position wise,I'll carry on.
Is it possible guys to get some links to draftees and highlights packages sticky'd somewhere handy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't really see any KPF worth taking at 22 (which is why i wanted to trade one).

Of your list cockatoo and parfitt are mids and the other small forwards are injury prone so it couldnt hurt to draft one late.

22 and 24 on some quick outside dashing wing types with decent kicking skills (sort of like zak jones who we wanted in 2013 but got nabbed one pick before us.

After nearly 2 hours having a look around the picks in the 20/30s I haven't been able to settle on one name best available or position wise,I'll carry on.
Is it possible guys to get some links to draftees and highlights packages sticky'd somewhere handy?

Check the D & T board phantom drafts-Knightmare's and Bishop's threads in particular are very knowledgeable.

Would love the cats to add multiple Falcons players in the draft.

22 - Ling
24 - Worpel
35 - Miers
58 - Wooler

Would be fantastic

Ling i don't mind Miers is good. He might o earlier after his TAC GF. Wooler is from oakleigh but has some promise. Worpel's kicking worries me IMO.

for those who liked him... a bit on Sambono

The other mature-age prospect to receive a national combine invite was Adam Sambono. The speedy 20-year-old forward showed promise in the NEAFL for Northern Territory Thunder, kicking 32 goals from 11 games. A late starter to football, Sambono, who won the NEAFL Rising Star Award, is super-talented and will appeal to AFL clubs due not only to his goalkicking instincts but his tackling pressure.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/21049332/knightmare-draft-wrap-best-mature-age-afl-prospects

Surprised the club aren't selling Ablett guernseys already.
You could pre-order a Danger guernsey on the day of his trade!
They may wait for the announcement of what number he'll wear

There are two rules that favour Geelong.

1. F/S attract a discount of 20% or 197 points....whichever is greater.
2. A points deficit of 1723 points is allowed (assuming no 2019 picks traded)

Eg:
Oscar Browless:
Hawthorn bid pick 20
Pick 20 = 912 points
Discount = 197 points
Points needed = 715 points needed
Geelong matches with pick 52 (246 points)
Points Deficit = 469 points

So we gain pick 20 in the 2018 draft a and pay pick 52 and a future 3rd.

If just one of the four draftees is worth a pick around the 20's, we're okay. And we make out like bandits if two or more of our father-son options are worthy of 2nd round picks.

I think its just a tad different to that ... If we project forward case as if we finished premiers ... next year and say we have 2018 18 , 36, 54 etc .. we traded 36 out , gained Rich 37-53 , Carl 55-71 , Gold Coast 55 71 ... So guestimation is we have picks , 18 , 50 , 54 , 58 , 59

So pick a gun kid at 18 then ..
If Brownless is bid on at 20 ( I doubt that but lets keep going) . so as you say P20 912 -197 points = 715 points required to match.

but 50= 273 , 54= 220 , 58=178 , 59= 158 ; total 829 so 50,54,58,58 and 59 would be transferred into Brownless and P63

So far Hocking and Mench have given indication of being worth more than a Simpson type of situation ..

A few other things to note, players on bid after pick 55 cost zero points but picks have value until 73. When you match a bid you always get a pick back towards the end of the draft which is almost certain to be pushed forward. When other teams pass on picks your later picks gain you extra free points. Bids (your own and other teams) that use up more than a single pick also provide extra draft points.

Deficits on one year move onto your pick in the equivalent round next year. So if you match a third round bid an don't have enough points, your next years third round pick loses value which takes the sting out of running a deficit.

Its un/fortunate that they closed a potential loophole with Rookie promotions. They used to take up a pick in the draft, which would have effectively given team free points to use to match bids.

Ling i don't mind Miers is good. He might o earlier after his TAC GF. Wooler is from oakleigh but has some promise. Worpel's kicking worries me IMO.
I think Worpel's kicking is decent.

It seems to lack penetration and he has a tendency to lean backwards with an inconsistent action but he gets distance and they tend to be weighted correctly.

I think it breaks down to 3 aspects-

His kicks are often hurried under pressure

His technique and action

His decision making

His kicking is not as bad as people think and his flaws are correctable IMO

If his issue was weighting the ball, hooking the leg or he was meant to be an outside type or forward (with his kicking), I would be very wary.

Besides his kicking, he is a tremendous prospect IMO

Excellent reader of the play
Elite tackling technique
Elite cardio
Has elite ability below the knees
Great mark
Can kick goals
Is a leader

He can go as high as 11-12 IMO but will probably be available at 22/24

We absolutely must take him if he is available IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.