Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't know who's going to be available. But the pool of guys I like are:

22. Oscar Allen (3rd tall FWD)
Depends on who's available but if all of Ling, Richardson, and Stoddart are still on the board I will take Allen because he's unique in this draft as a big bodied forward. Not quite KPF height but he's a good footballer and I think can play a Jack Darling or Jake Stringer type role. He's tested with elite aerobic capacity so should be capable of producing defensive pressure....maybe unexpectedly develop (ala Cameron Ling). But ultimately I think he's a good footballer and you can always find a role for them.

24. Ed Richardson, Ryley Stoddart, Matt Ling (Outside/HBF)
All three are left footers that use the ball well. I want one of them and I'd consider two if one of them was available at pick 35. We don't have enough left footers in the side, we can use some outside pace and all of these guys add that.

35. Harrison Petterson (KPD)
We have a place on the list to add to our KPD stocks and he's a solid prospect. More your intercepting type that reads the play than a genuine tall defender. To be honest, the talls in this draft don't look that good and IMO it feels a reach but I'll take him.

58. Liam Ryan (Medium/Small Fwd)
We all know who he is by now. He kicks goals and we could use a player like that immediately slotted in the team. Apparently improved his endurance a bit but still has a ways to go.

Rookie: Bailey Fritsch (Outside mid)
Slightly built mature age player that's still developing. I think he could be a quick Gary Rohan type that doesn't get a lot of the ball but does a lot of damage when he gets it. Another left-footer.

Rookie: Jordan Keras (inside mid)
A big bodied inside mid that wins a heap of the ball. Set to become Dangerfield's brother in law but IMO he looks a player and we could use someone like that in the VFL and behind the likes of Menegola.

No coincidence that we haven’t had anyone leave claiming homesickness during a long period of stability and success.
Shayne Breuer. Played in two grand finals.

Depends on who's available but if all of Ling, Richardson, and Stoddart are still on the board I will take Allen because he's unique in this draft as a big bodied forward. Not quite KPF height but he's a good footballer and I think can play a Jack Darling or Jake Stringer type role. He's tested with elite aerobic capacity so should be capable of producing defensive pressure....maybe unexpectedly develop (ala Cameron Ling). But ultimately I think he's a good footballer and you can always find a role for them.

All three are left footers that use the ball well. I want one of them and I'd consider two if one of them was available at pick 35. We don't have enough left footers in the side, we can use some outside pace and all of these guys add that.

We have a place on the list to add to our KPD stocks and he's a solid prospect. More your intercepting type that reads the play than a genuine tall defender. To be honest, the talls in this draft don't look that good and IMO it feels a reach but I'll take him.

We all know who he is by now. He kicks goals and we could use a player like that immediately slotted in the team. Apparently improved his endurance a bit but still has a ways to go.

Slightly built mature age player that's still developing. I think he could be a quick Gary Rohan type that doesn't get a lot of the ball but does a lot of damage when he gets it. Another left-footer.

A big bodied inside mid that wins a heap of the ball. Set to become Dangerfield's brother in law but IMO he looks a player and we could use someone like that in the VFL and behind the likes of Menegola.

Strauchnyy should be able to help you with this. He said the draft falls off a cliff after pick 20 so he should be able to accurately tell you the first 20 players selected with no problem.

He is a different type of player .. sort of has has irish side step set shot. I doubt he goes real early. R2 maybe
There's enough holes in his game that I'd be baffled if he went first round, think alot of people are looking at the TAC Cup GF and overrating his ability and prospects.

I'd be pretty ok with adding Troy Menzel as a DFA or rookie. Get him for free, we all know he has talent... see if training with Dan and the natural competition a brother can bring out can light a fire in him.... unlikely as if getting out of 2 clubs doesn't do it what will.. but who knows

Really like Oscar Allen, if he's there at 22 we should pick him, perfect 2nd/3rd forward that leads up the ground, will play senior footy next year wherever he ends up.
Forward pressure is great and he's very good at ground level.

Last edited:
I'd be pretty ok with adding Troy Menzel as a DFA or rookie. Get him for free, we all know he has talent... see if training with Dan and the natural competition a brother can bring out can light a fire in him.... unlikely as if getting out of 2 clubs doesn't do it what will.. but who knows
Actually thought his 2nd half of the year in the SANFL was pretty promising, kicked around 20 goals and lifted his work rate immensely, worth a punt.

Actually thought his 2nd half of the year in the SANFL was pretty promising, kicked around 20 goals and lifted his work rate immensely, worth a punt.
Are you from SA? And If so I assume you seen a few games first hand. I wouldn't be against picking him up. At least he'll come cheap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you from SA? And If so I assume you seen a few games first hand. I wouldn't be against picking him up. At least he'll come cheap.
Based in VIC but work takes me to SA often, caught a few games in the second half of the year, his tackle numbers really stood out to me and he can hit the scoreboard, would be a waste of talent if this is the end of him.

Does anyone know when we have to finalise our list (and confirm delistings) ahead of the draft? (or can we delist after the draft? - or do we need to list spots available before draft?)

I still have KPF as the biggest need but agree, probably no point addressing it in this draft.

Do we need a small forward? We've got Ablett, Cockatoo, Gregson, Parfitt, McCarthy and Jermaine Jones. You'd imagine Ablett will play plenty of midfield but I doubt Cockatoo gets as much time there as he deserves. I think that small forward is pretty well covered.

Ablett & Cocky should play a good amount of midfield, I think Parfitt is also a mid longer term, Gregson & McCarthy can't get on the park, and Jones still has a long way to go before he becomes a regular senior player.

I think we need a quick, tackling small forward.

Ablett & Cocky should play a good amount of midfield, I think Parfitt is also a mid longer term, Gregson & McCarthy can't get on the park, and Jones still has a long way to go before he becomes a regular senior player.

I think we need a quick, tackling small forward.

I'm not sure how it shakes out but I don't see how all these midfielders we have will play "a good amount" of midfield minutes. Last year already Cam Guthrie and Menegola were playing alternative roles. Cockatoo and Parfitt weren't really part of the rotation at all and we obviously didn't have Ablett. Who's getting punted and where are they playing if not as a small forward?

Sloane is too old, he would unbalance a list that is already a little too old. Right now I think we're okay but adding another experienced player at a high price would cross the line into concerning.
He wouldn't cost us picks, just salary.

If he's attainable we would be derelict in our duty not to pursue him IMO.

He wouldn't cost us picks, just salary.

If he's attainable we would be derelict in our duty not to pursue him IMO.

That salary is going to be pretty significant though. I don't think he comes at a discount and you can bet a team like the Goldcoast, St Kilda or North will throw big coin at him. I suppose there's a way we could make it work. Maybe Harry Taylor retires and we trade Menegola to make room for Sloane but adding an inside mid won't be a big need.

That salary is going to be pretty significant though. I don't think he comes at a discount and you can bet a team like the Goldcoast, St Kilda or North will throw big coin at him. I suppose there's a way we could make it work. Maybe Harry Taylor retires and we trade Menegola to make room for Sloane but adding an inside mid won't be a big need.
I don't like the idea of trading best 22 players for free agents; we rarely treat our players as dispensable commodities - wouldn't want to make this the norm

Might be a better team on paper, but surely it'd do unnecessary harm to our culture

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I really need our trade period broken down into net Caddies, to form an opinion on how well we went.

Net Caddies... man I was green last year. I've moved past that limited player comparison, I'm now working on far superior trade tool, a unified player and draft picks (including future draft pick) comparison apparatus. I call it the Net Guthies System.

Net Caddies... man I was green last year. I've moved past that limited player comparison, I'm now working on far superior trade tool, a unified player and draft picks (including future draft pick) comparison apparatus. I call it the Net Guthies System.
I'm gonna find this one too complicated, I'm afraid. A Guthrie has too many variants to be a standardised unit IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back