Rumour GFC 2018 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists - PT3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lachlan Fogarty looks like a player we could go for.. We also might go for a tall defender... I don't think we will pick a midfielder early this year...

I'm pretty sure I said that after we selected Stewart earlier than I thought was warranted. I have since admitted - and quite early on as catempire can testify - how wrong I was.

Yep, me too. Though it’s possibly still a little early to completely admit wrong ;-)

I'm pro Crameri,

Better option as a back up than Black and Stanley. If he gets his body right he's versatile enough to fit somewhere in our best 22.

This seems worth a shot to me. Worst case he gets injured all year, and he's only taken up one list spot and around 80-100k of our salary cap.
Crameri is a better player than both Black and Stanley, they should go for it...he doesn't turn 30 until August 2018, we could get two good years here and 35 - 40 goals a season?

I'm pretty sure I said that after we selected Stewart earlier than I thought was warranted. I have since admitted - and quite early on as catempire can testify - how wrong I was.
99 out 100 posters have made calls that left them with egg on their face ... its an opinion website after all... and most , if not all , on here are glad to be wrong if a player becomes a good player for Geelong.

I think its very difficult for most of us to determine worth and when a players name should be called. Most of us are influenced by other peoples opinions who may be influenced by others etc.... and bolters tend to put noses out of joint . Why call Parfitt then ..he would have been there at 40 etc.. and really who knows when he would be called. If they player becomes a best 22 player of quality then the draft cost seems less relevant as time goes on. A bit like the old story of the shoes the Yabby Jeans used to beat us in 89.

This year there would seem a good chance for it to happen again.. the odd hint that McCartin may be called a lot earlier than what some see as his apt position... yet our team must make a choice about just how much they want this player.. do they gamble and see if he is there later.

not when he retires. then its effectively getting no one for a good player. motlop was our best player in our last game, a knockout final to boot. calling him average is poor form.

Motlop was pathetically ordinary most of the time.
Best was Selwood and Dangerfield and Motlop mainly in the second quarter v the Crows.
Where was he the rest of 2017.
You could say the same for Stanley or Lang.

From a best 22 pov from next season it is Ablett in for Motlop but it is not a straight trade as such for the future. Motlop compo was 19, it was downgraded, not traded outright for Ablett. So you really have to take into account the ~2 years we get out of Ablett plus whoever we take with downgraded pick this year v. Motlop into the future.

not when he retires. then its effectively getting no one for a good player. motlop was our best player in our last game, a knockout final to boot. calling him average is poor form.
Tha Ablett trade had nothing to do with Motlop. Port may have done well to pick up Motlop without giving up anything but so did we to get pick 19. A downgrade of 19-24 and add ons are neither here nor there and GAJ may well give us 2+ years of elite performance. Not sure why there's such negativity..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tha Ablett trade had nothing to do with Motlop. Port may have done well to pick up Motlop without giving up anything but so did we to get pick 19. A downgrade of 19-24 and add ons are neither here nor there and GAJ may well give us 2+ years of elite performance. Not sure why there's such negativity..
its in his blood..

Even the type is -ve... :p

Go Catters

People forget he was best av disposals winner in the whole competition apart from Tom Mitchell.
33×14 games... he's a comparible star to Dangerfield, consist high output!

Thanks. Exceptionally well explained.

No worries. I left off a couple of details (did that in a rush). One is that the 20 % discount (in terms of working out exact points required to match a bid) only applies if a bid is prior to pick 19. After pick 19 rather than the discount being 20 % it is fixed at 197 points (this is the discount equivalent to a bid at pick 18) but the maths will still be roughly similar using this model.

The other is if a club runs out of picks to match more than one bid (this may be an issue for us next year if all of our F/S kids come on strongly) it can still take the next F/S or academy player but it has to go into deficit on it's picks the following year to pay the points, the deficit occurs on whatever round pick the bid is in. So for e.g. if Brownless and Scott are bid in rounds 1 and 2 and we use all our picks to match and then Hocking is bid at pick 48 and we have no picks left our 3rd rounder in 2019 will be used to pay the points as that's the round the bid is in. So going into deficit is only a real danger if you get multiple round 1 bids for your players as then your r1 2019 gets involved, if some of the bids are in later rounds it's only your late picks that will be sacrificed. If the club has to go into deficit they will not be eligible to take F/S the next year if they are still in debt unless they make up the debt before then e.g. if we had to go into deficit in 2018 on a 2019 r3 we wouldn't be able to take further F/S in 2019 unless we traded in additional picks in the 2019 trade period equivalent to how much we went into debt by.

No worries. I left off a couple of details (did that in a rush). One is that the 20 % discount (in terms of working out exact points required to match a bid) only applies if a bid is prior to pick 19. After pick 19 rather than the discount being 20 % it is fixed at 197 points (this is the discount equivalent to a bid at pick 18) but the maths will still be roughly similar using this model.

The other is if a club runs out of picks to match more than one bid (this may be an issue for us next year if all of our F/S kids come on strongly) it can still take the next F/S or academy player but it has to go into deficit on it's picks the following year to pay the points, the deficit occurs on whatever round pick the bid is in. So for e.g. if Brownless and Scott are bid in rounds 1 and 2 and we use all our picks to match and then Hocking is bid at pick 48 and we have no picks left our 3rd rounder in 2019 will be used to pay the points as that's the round the bid is in. So going into deficit is only a real danger if you get multiple round 1 bids for your players as then your r1 2019 gets involved, if some of the bids are in later rounds it's only your late picks that will be sacrificed. If the club has to go into deficit they will not be eligible to take F/S the next year if they are still in debt unless they make up the debt before then e.g. if we had to go into deficit in 2018 on a 2019 r3 we wouldn't be able to take further F/S in 2019 unless we traded in additional picks in the 2019 trade period equivalent to how much we went into debt by.

Considering how strong next year is looking.. if we can have a FS that is worthy of a R1 bid..we will be doing well. The only player I think we can serious plan for would be Brownless.. and if somehow we can trade our R1 or upgrade it for an earlier R1 , I think we will do OK out the FS rule again... and to noise from the squeaky wheels , the type moans and groans because they are proclaimed acolytes of a pure draft .. oh how fine it would be if we had another that becomes a player of AA quality. ..but one would have to say SOB look more a generic type of player atpit.

Anyway ..are there FS projected for 2019?

I think we have to understand that choices have to be made ... and as much as the comp pick helped us with Ablett, the comp pick was more about replacing Motlop with a young talented player who also gives us some Sc relief.

From a best 22 pov from next season it is Ablett in for Motlop but it is not a straight trade as such for the future. Motlop compo was 19, it was downgraded, not traded outright for Ablett. So you really have to take into account the ~2 years we get out of Ablett plus whoever we take with downgraded pick this year v. Motlop into the future.

yep.

FORMER Collingwood rookie Lachlan Smith shapes as a possible smokey as clubs finalise their plans ahead of this week's NAB AFL Draft.

The 24-year-old lasted only one season with the Magpies after being taken as a rookie at the end of 2011.

But after starring for Kyabram this year in the Goulburn Valley League in country Victoria this year, Smith has caught the attention of AFL scouts and is understood to have nominated for the national draft.

Geelong has been linked as a possible suitor for Smith late in the draft or as a rookie pick on Monday, while others have also shown interest.

FORMER Collingwood rookie Lachlan Smith shapes as a possible smokey as clubs finalise their plans ahead of this week's NAB AFL Draft.

The 24-year-old lasted only one season with the Magpies after being taken as a rookie at the end of 2011.

But after starring for Kyabram this year in the Goulburn Valley League in country Victoria this year, Smith has caught the attention of AFL scouts and is understood to have nominated for the national draft.

Geelong has been linked as a possible suitor for Smith late in the draft or as a rookie pick on Monday, while others have also shown interest.

We seem to always get linked with the smokey from the bush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back