Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists.

Who would you rather at the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

With 2017 upon us, let all the speculation on Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours and Wish lists go here:

May it be a pearler for the hoops!

GO Catters

If it's alright with you dazbroncos I thought I would post the list of out of contract players from the CatScan contracts thread. Obviously we can trade players under contract as with Caddy but this is a useful starting point for talking about what list changes we might have.

Players out of contract in 2017
4. Andrew Mackie (unrestricted free agent)
5. Nakia Cockatoo
8. Jake Kolodashnij
10. Daniel Menzel (free agent probably restricted)
11. Darcy Lang
12. Wylie Buzza
13. Tom Lonergan (unrestricted free agent)
15. Matthew Hayball
18. Josh Cowan (free agent probably unrestricted)
20. Ryan Gardner
24. Jed Bews
27. Sam Menegola
31. Jordan Cunico
32. Steven Motlop (restricted free agent)
34. James Parsons (rookie)
37. Sam Simpson (rookie)
38. Jack Henry (rookie)
39. Zach Guthrie (rookie)
41. Jamaine Jones (rookie)
42. Mark O'Connor (rookie)

Those are the players confirmed as out of contract. We do not have a confirmed contract status on the following so they may be out of contract.
1. Rhys Stanley
9. Zac Smith
36. Tom Ruggles
23. Aaron Black
25. Lachie Henderson
I expect Henderson would have come across on a longer than 2 year deal so isn't out of contract, Stanley coming across on a 3 year deal sounds about right which would put him out of contract at the end of 2017. Unsure on Smith or Ruggles. Black was originally contracted until the end of 2017 at North Melb, whether we extended it longer than that I don't know. Stewart House and Abbott could theoretically be on 1 year deals as they were drafted over the standard age but for the sake of simplicity I will assume they are on 2 year deals.

For people's info on the free agent rules beyond 10 years a player is generally unrestricted so Mackie and Lonergan are (I expect both will retire anyway). At 8 years a player is an unrestricted free agent if he isn't in the club's top 25 % of money earners (about the top 12 players) and is restricted if he is in the top 25 %. So Cowan would be unrestricted as I can't see him being on big wages, Motlop would definitely be in our top 25 % and thus restricted. Menzel is trickier as I would guess he is on a contract with a low base (to protect the club if he does a knee again) but very high incentive payments (for matches played goals kicked etc), there has been no clarification from the AFL re with restricted/unrestricted whether it is counted on the base salary or the total salary. I also expect Menzel probably has a trigger point where if he plays say 12 or 15 games it automatically activates a deal for 2018 and it's his choice to take it or not (Bartel had the same sort of deal).

Nat Fyfe as a RFA...... and we're off for another year :D
And GAJ...

But there's a thread for that...
And the mystery mid..
Now was that Devon Smith or Dylan Shiel..
I always get them mixed up..

Go Catters

And GAJ...

And the mystery mid..

Go Catters

We'll take them all. We'll trade another first rounder too just to make everyone melt... hard :D

And GAJ...

And the mystery mid..

Go Catters

GAJ is still under contract at the end of 2017 but is a restricted FA at the end of 2018. Devon Smith is out of contract (and has reportedly just bought a house in Geelong West) but is not a free agent.

D. Smith is quality. Don't give a s**t if we give up another 1st rounder for him.
We'll get Gaz if he doesn't retire. Dunno how but we will.
GFC makes trade week interesting when is usually boring as balls.

Nat Fyfe as a RFA...... and we're off for another year :D

I heard a rumor that Fyfe wants to come to Geelong next year. You know, the surf beaches and all. :D

D. Smith is quality. Don't give a s**t if we give up another 1st rounder for him.
The fact Smith brought a house in Geelong this year is a tasty piece to help fuel that link with him coming as well ;)

Jessie Hogan bought a house in Perth and didnt move...

But oh the hive whacking until a deal gets done.....

GO Catters

Jessie Hogan bought a house in Perth and didnt move...

But oh the hive whacking until a deal gets done.....

GO Catters
He will though Daz.. just not for a few years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it improves the team, and critically, helps them win a premiership, it's absolutely worth it. If not, it'll make for interesting and amusing times.

Last edited:
If it improves the team, and critically, helps them win a premiership, it's absolutely worth it. if not, it'll make for interesting and amusing times.
I reckon he's worth it. Gets more of the ball than most of our mids all in the front half.
Still hasn't hit his straps yet either IMO.

As much as we might like Fred or Barney ..it seems we recruit as much on need as much on who wants to come to Geelong . So on needs Id say a KPF is the most likely what we would look at... (no idea how we would get it done) .. but I guess its more likely someone like Smith , who although quality , will probably cost more than he is worth. GWS seem to get good value from their trades.

You know I can remember when that was an aspersion cast , not so long ago ... yet I think I prefer those boring trade periods , its rare that the gain feels more than the loss... and the draft nearly always feels an after thought when we have traded.

As much as we might like Fred or Barney ..it seems we recruit as much on need as much on who wants to come to Geelong . So on needs Id say a KPF is the most likely what we would look at... (no idea how we would get it done) .. but I guess its more likely someone like Smith , who although quality , will probably cost more than he is worth. GWS seem to get good value from their trades.

You know I can remember when that was an aspersion cast , not so long ago ... yet I think I prefer those boring trade periods , its rare that the gain feels more than the loss... and the draft nearly always feels an after thought when we have traded.
I would have thought Jonathon Patton would be our target next year. He's one of the five big names that are touted as difficult for GWS to fit in for 2018. JP to move forward with would be a sensational steal. I'd be happy for a noisy and blustery trade period if we could get that one done. :)

I would have thought Jonathon Patton would be our target next year. He's one of the five big names that are touted as difficult for GWS to fit in for 2018. JP to move forward with would be a sensational steal. I'd be happy for a noisy and blustery trade period if we could get that one done. :)

Suspect we'll be giving up a bit for him.

Suspect we'll be giving up a bit for him.
Agreed, but if it was any possibility I would think we'd be prepared to give up quite a bit for him too. Would be greatly dependent on a number of things. Motlop's performances this year and what he decides as a free agent at the end of next year, how salary cap issues resolve at end 2017, How Aaron Black performs this year, etc. But to get a key position forward of his calibre I'd be throwing the kitchen sink at him.

I heard Mitch Duncan bought a house in Perth......

I'm on my phone but if you can imagine a pic of a GIANT SPOON and a fish hook... :D

Go Catters

I would of thought a quality small forward would be preety high up on our needs list.
I know Linc is great but he hasn't proved a lot yet and is injury prone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back