Rumour GFC 2017 Player Trading, Drafting, FA, Rumours, and Wish lists.

Who would you rather at the Cats?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or very talented with work ethic problems. The truth is they club viewed him as expendable (i.e trade available)

They did the same with Steve Johnson after the 2006 season.
We all know how that turned out.

They did the same with Steve Johnson after the 2006 season.
We all know how that turned out.

And he was traded in memory essendon voided it because of how bad his ankles came up on the medical. So really its incredibly lucky on all fronts Geelong wise!

And he was traded in memory essendon voided it because of how bad his ankles came up on the medical. So really its incredibly lucky on all fronts Geelong wise!
Collingwood. Probably would have won the 07 flag had he gone to them too.

Collingwood. Probably would have won the 07 flag had he gone to them too.

Its a long time ago now but I remember mick wanted him at the pies but the medical team overruled the decision. Incredible he is still playing today.

Actually i think he will leave but time will tell. As for our cap i dont believe its maxed out either and i think we have more room but the next 18 months will show either way on that.

You have missed the point of my post what I was pointing out was even if they got a top 10 pick for smith from another club they wont be able to use it in the draft it will be to match a bid on brander richards etc (as their other first rounder will get stripped). So why would they care about the pick number when they wont use it on an open draft player, they just want the most points possible. If geelong offered them 2 or more picks equal to a top 10 pick in points they wont care what the actual pick number is. If say 2 clubs offer them the equivalent of pick 9 they wont baulk because one offers the actual pick 9 and the other offers two picks where the points value is equal to pick 9, the outcome for them re academy players is the same either way.

As for the rest they are not in a strong position to bargain smith is ooc and if he wants to get back here he can nominate for the psd so long as one of the first 3 picks belongs to a vic club and they get nothing. They will compromise because they have to.

They also dont excel at getting value in their trades if you look at most of the players they have traded out (except for treloar) they have taken relative unders for and this will be no different.

I am not saying smith wants geelong but if he does and we want him here it will get done, these trades almost always do.

I have been waiting for this ruling to come out so we can start to drop all the academy points speculation talk and GWS's desperation for academy points for next season the priority of it has just fallen off the map.

And we are back to working out a legitimate trade for Smith ?

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-20/giants-lose-access-to-top-talent-in-academy-overhaul

I have been waiting for this ruling to come out so we can start to drop all the academy points speculation talk and GWS's desperation for academy points for next season the priority of it has just fallen off the map.

And we are back to working out a legitimate trade for Smith ?

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-20/giants-lose-access-to-top-talent-in-academy-overhaul

It only removes two players from their academy pool (brander and spargo). They still have half a dozen academy prospects including richards who i personally would rate higher than spargo.

It also doesnt stop them taking those players it just removes guaranteed access. Long term it makes things a lot more interesting but for this year's draft it doesnt change much.

It only removes two players from their academy pool (brander and spargo). They still have half a dozen academy prospects including richards who i personally would rate higher than spargo.

It also doesnt stop them taking those players it just removes guaranteed access. Long term it makes things a lot more interesting but for this year's draft it doesnt change much.

Of course not but if they do not have a first round pick pretty hard to get them if they were thought of as top 10's.

And this was the backbone of your argument to getting the hypothetical Devon Smith deal over the line. GWS desperate for points to get these high profile academy selections. Now if they finish top 4 they can choose one so as you say if they really want these guys they are going to need to trade way back into first round with Devon Smith being most valuable trade chip.

Any top 4 side only 1 academy selection is that correct ? Which in effect would lead us into the next trade period. If they finish 5-8 allowed 2. And unlimited for out of the 8. Seems to change the whole scenario significantly as I see it if now they can only choose one of these guys if they finish top 4.

And the lost an academy region on top only Albury / Murray region.

Last edited:
Of course not but if they do not have a first round pick pretty hard to get them if they were thought of as top 10's.

Any top 4 side only 1 academy selection is that correct ? Which in effect would lead us into the next trade period. If they finish 5-8 allowed 2. And unlimited for out of the 8. Seems to change the whole scenario significantly as I see it if now they can only choose one of these guys if they finish top 4.

And the lost an academy region on top only Albury / Murray region.

The restriction is if top 4 can only match one top 20 bid but any academy players not bid in the top 20 they can take as many as they want.

For e.g. on last year they would only have been able to take 1 of setterfield perryman and cumming (the other two would have gone to the clubs that bid on them) but they could still have selected guys like mutch mcraedie sproule etc. If you go back a year they could only have got 1 of hopper and kennedy but they still would have got steele as he wasnt bid on as early.

It doesnt stop an academy club taking several players it just limits their access to the really high rated ones. I would still expect them to take 4 or 5 academy guys this year they will just be the ones bid on outside the top 20 (given at the moment they dont have a top 20 pick this was likely anyway).

The restriction is if top 4 can only match one top 20 bid but any academy players not bid in the top 20 they can take as many as they want.

For e.g. on last year they would only have been able to take 1 of setterfield perryman and cumming (the other two would have gone to the clubs that bid on them) but they could still have selected guys like mutch mcraedie sproule etc. If you go back a year they could only have got 1 of hopper and kennedy but they still would have got steele as he wasnt bid on as early.

It doesnt stop an academy club taking several players it just limits their access to the really high rated ones. I would still expect them to take 4 or 5 academy guys this year they will just be the ones bid on outside the top 20 (given at the moment they dont have a top 20 pick this was likely anyway).

Completely incorrect from what I have read

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...s/news-story/b055b73b60d1c52c33e9c767b73a4877

I am just going off the article on the afl website. Albury/murray no priority access anymore (apart from cat B rookies) and the rest of NSW still academy priority but limited to matching 1 top 20 bid if top 4, 2 top 20 bids if top 8, if finishing bottom 10 no restriction and bids after pick 20 no restriction.

Unless the afl comes out and says otherwise thats whats in the article so i am going with it.

I am just going off the article on the afl website. Albury/murray no priority access anymore (apart from cat B rookies) and the rest of NSW still academy priority but limited to matching 1 top 20 bid if top 4, 2 top 20 bids if top 8, if finishing bottom 10 no restriction and bids after pick 20 no restriction.

Unless the afl comes out and says otherwise thats whats in the article so i am going with it.

Yep fair enough I agree to that your right
On that front the 1 in top 20.

It does still significantly change the whole academy system for GWS and the upcoming draft. It has restricted them severely removing players and capping top 20 selections its nothing close to the same

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Incredible to think we finally did give him the flick and now he's a great chance to win a fourth premiership.
Talk about the Karma of all bloody Karma's.

In 2014 GWS offered pick no.4 and possibly another pick (7) for Johnson and we knocked it back its crazy we didn't do that deal. Then we let him go for basically free kicked him out lol

We would of had 3 top 20 picks in 2014 I believe we pick swapped with Adelaide trade down to get cockatoo at (10). We probably still end up with him. And lever and P.wright would of been jackpot city

Surprisingly GWS missed with both picks well its still to early to tell but picket got traded to Carlton at (4) and Paul ahern two knees traded to north (7).

But I find it interesting now as we liked Jake lever (14). Peter Wright (8) De Goey (5) and marchbank could of been a pretty amazing net if wells got it right. For a player in 30's that we duly delisted and finished 10th in 2015. Makes me a bit sad as much as I love Stevie J

Last edited:
In 2014 GWS offered pick no.4 and possibly another pick (7) for Johnson and we knocked it back its crazy we didn't do that deal. Then we let him go for basically free kicked him out lol

We would of had 3 top 20 picks in 2014 I believe we pick swapped with Adelaide trade down to get cockatoo at (10). We probably still end up with him. And lever and P.wright would of been jackpot city

Surprisingly GWS missed with both picks well its still to early to tell but picket got traded to Carlton at (4) and Paul ahern two knees traded to north (7).

But I find it interesting now as we liked Jake lever (14). Peter Wright (8) De Goey (5) and marchbank could of been a pretty amazing net if wells got it right. For a player in 30's that we duly delisted and finished 10th in 2015. Makes me a bit sad as much as I love Stevie J

I wonder just how much is urban myth. For one there is no push trades in the AFL , and as I understand it the offer was very late and we had only minutes , perhaps a couple of hours to get SJ to agree as he was still contracted. If they had offered the deal early in the trade period it may have given us time to make it happen.

Do you have a link Pure? I was reading it and all it says...

The ladder position of a club will now have a direct influence on how many academy players it can draft inside the top-20.
For a team that finishes in the top four, the club will only be able to select one academy player. For a team finish in from fifth to eighth, there will be a limit of two players inside the opening 20 picks, while there will be no limit placed on sides outside the top eight.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-20/giants-lose-access-to-top-talent-in-academy-overhaul

Having said that , I think these news release rarely are nailed down..just like the 2 in 4 thing where even the clubs had to ask for a trade period last year.

I can see it a bit both ways. It would make sense under your interpretation. If this has been driven by the Vic Mafia , they may struggle to whinge if the add more than one player if no one bids on them. Conversely , as shown when debating who Ess should pick at 1 , most thought that they would be misguided to pick Settfield , have him matched and then appear to have their second pick taken with #1

SJ knocked back the deal as he was overseas and felt he didnt have time to discuss it properly with family etc. Unfortunately we dont have no player consent trades. Not the club's fault really.

We categorically did not receive that offer. Complete hogwash

SJ knocked back the deal as he was overseas and felt he didnt have time to discuss it properly with family etc. Unfortunately we dont have no player consent trades. Not the club's fault really.

I'm not blaming anyone ownage ! I'm aware of the situation and why it didn't get done. I'm looking at it in a hindsight perspective that if they had their time over you do that deal every day of the week. Crazy over value deal for SJ I guy who we delisted 2 years later !

I wonder just how much is urban myth. For one there is no push trades in the AFL , and as I understand it the offer was very late and we had only minutes , perhaps a couple of hours to get SJ to agree as he was still contracted. If they had offered the deal early in the trade period it may have given us time to make it happen.

They were probably chasing someone younger you don't try and make deals like that when you have time to think. I'm saying in hind sight I realise the deal wasn't going to get struck.

After all this retiring of veterans Chapman, stokes, Kelly, Bartel and so on

I would say most clubs get that deal done one way or the other. But we are loyal to our veterans or are we ?

When the guy is gone two years later delisted and asked to leave when he wanted to play on at Geelong. And now he is at the club that wanted him for two first rounders.

A (31) year old offered that kind of deal you would never get a deal like that without a GWS or GC scenario no one could cough that value up for SJ at 31.

Even Collingwood and essendon in 2006 he couldn't pass the medical if he did he is gone

Last edited:
You don't need to wonder. It has been disproven time and time again. It is nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back